Register now to get rid of these ads!

so how many of guys bring your little guys to the shop??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by left coast rod & custom, Jan 2, 2011.

1. So how many of you guys have your kids work at the shop with you??

my son is six and never talks about anything but hotrods. so i started him off with some cutting on the metal saw, welding (with help) and drilling some holes for plug welds on the drill press!! he did great!!! here some photos.

Attached Files:

2. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Sure do I couldn't keep my youngest son out of there whan he was a baby, he would break out cloths or not.

Attached Files:

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My daughter is two, has been out there a couple times, keeps trying to crawl under the car. Once shes 4, I'll start teaching her to weld. As long as the wife doesnt catch me...

4. squirrel

squirrel

they're not little anymore...but two of the three do spend time out there tinkering with stuff when they're home.

5. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

My little girl is five. She hasn't developed much interest in the garage yet.
    She "Helps" from time to time but she mostly enjoys the finished product.
    She loves to cruise, loves car shows and has described the car she wants for her first car.
    She says "the kind with no top and a short windshield". I told her that on the Washington coast she might want a car with a roof before a roadster.

I'm working on her though. I think that when I find the right car to start building for her first car she'll come around.

6. uwonamos

uwonamos
    from Omaha, Ne

My little guy was in the garage 30 minutes after he was born in the house and I'd say he's catching on pretty good now...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. fbama73

fbama73

My ten year old daughter loves working on the Chevy with me. She'll tag along with me and ask to help, or ask for her own job to do. I always make sure that I have something for her to do.

She loves riding along on part grabbing adventures, too- we had a ball last Friday going and getting the '55 235 and 3 speed.

8. thewrench832

thewrench832
    from Houston,TX

I cant keep my little out of the garage always trying to see what I'm doing

Garage.JPG

9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Your little fella is cute as a button for sure...but I wanna see some pics of your Gasser!
    Thats NOT cute...its BAD.

Do you have a post up somewhere with pics already? If not you should. ;)

10. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

My sons are 17 and 15 now and I have had old cars and bikes all their lives. They have never shown any interest on my or my friends rods or bikes. I think they just don't see those interesting. The boys live in computer game world. It doesn't bother me at all.

11. rottenrods

rottenrods

My 6 year old stays out in the shop with me every night. He loves hotrods

12. 33Tudor

33Tudor

Here's my nephew!:cool:

Attached Files:

13. Brought both of my boys to the shop for years later they both worked for me, "Holy Orange county choppers!!" They are now both now grown men and are employed at a Mercedes, Toyota dealership.......One as a technician the other as the Service manager both make good money.....I still get them to work on any new shit I have!!

14. My sons are 22 and 28 they have been hanging around my garage and with all my car buddies since they could walk. They both have hot rods of there own and are both H.A.M.M. members. So you guys that are spending this time in your garage or shop with your kids , will be a great investment. Keep up the good work.

15. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65
    from Detroit

Sure do. My dad did me the same way, now its my turn to do the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Racrdad

Racrdad

Every Chance I Get!

Attached Files:

17. Larry T

Larry T

I've probably posted this before. The oldest one walks into the shop, takes a deep breath and says "I LOVE the way this place smells!" (the oil and the gasoline). She was raised in the shop. The little one steps in the door and starts yelling for PawPaw.
    Larry T

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  18. sgnova72

sgnova72

Any chance I can get them out there I try. My daughter is more into coming out to the shop then my son, but he is starting to come around.

19. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

my neice holding on to the sissy bar on a 61 vette.

Attached Files:

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

My "little fella" is 40 now, and he grew up under the car. I had my '55 Chevy gasser when he was in diapers, and often found him laying beside me when I was under the car working.
    He still loves cars and I know it's because he grew up with them.

21. [​IMG]

Awesome guys, my youngest is the same, gearhead to the bone. Oldest one has no interest what so ever. Keep em busy doing what interests THEM is the key to keeping them out of trouble. If it coincides with our hot rodding interests -GREAT. Just remember to teach them safety from day 1. My son knows that if he doesn't listen, he doesn't stay in the garage.

Custom, just a note of concern from your pic with your son on the drill press. I'm sure that pic is just for picture sake but if not please use a vice for drilling. Easy way for large dental bills.

Keep the pics coming Guys

22. Mine were with me since before they could walk ( they are now 28 and 36 both millwhrights, with the youngest doing body work on the side.) We have built and raced dirt modifieds together, ride motorcycles together.and have made all kinds of stuff over the years. We own alot of tools together that we wouldn't have if we could afford them alone. We recently built a stoller for our grandson and it looks like the Mod 4 dirt modifed my youngest drove. I'm pretty proud of them. Keep them interested andyou will have a lot less problems as they grow.Treat them like a son or daughter and a friend. They might even push your wheelchair when you get old. LOL Steve

23. belyea_david

belyea_david
    from Regina, SK

I grew up in the garage. My Dad built a 28 Essex Roadster, a 36 Dodge Coupe, a 48 Chevy Coupe and a 60 Chevy 1/2 ton.

We built my truck (63 International Scout 80) when I was in College. It's first incarnation was a restoration, but 2 blown tranny input shafts later it is now custom - not 100% HAMB friendly, but nice.

When I buy a house I intend to have the kidlets in the garage,if they are interested.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  24. 5w32

5w32

cant get him out of the car, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

Attached Files:

25. fbama73

fbama73

^I know what you mean!

[​IMG]

26. larryw58

larryw58

there is only one way to keep them out and it dont work long

Attached Files:

27. octane

octane
    from Virginia

My youngest just turned three and loves to be in the shop. He's been hanging with me out there since he was tiny...though I don't get much done when he's out there!

[​IMG]

28. Jaker

Jaker

29. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

None of the girls ever showed much interest....Have a 2 year old grandson now....theres hope yet.

30. saints

saints

yep I had to go out an get my son plastic tools cause he was wrecking havok on my projects with the craftsman
    [​IMG]