Register now to get rid of these ads!

A question for the painters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zombie 51, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

Hey guys. Is there any paint that reasonably mimics candy without all the hassle and cost of a real candy paint job? I'm looking for a really dark red like like brandywine. I ask because I recently saw a lime green that I was sure was candy but the owner says its not.

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

3. dawg

dawg

Chrysler has one that is pretty awesome, I can dig up the code if you would like?...

4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

+1 on the HOK. The Kandy Base Coat (KBC) line they have is like an intermediary between straight base coat and true kandy. It's a 3 stage, where you will lay down the base color, then a semi transparent top coat over it to achieve your final color. It's much more forgiving than a true kandy, but if you're not careful you can still stripe it. The price is pretty reasonable too

5. Postman

Postman
    from Germany

Do you remeber what kind of car it was, perhaps the name of the color?? Was it an OEM color??

I'm searching for a nice factory green. Something, where you have the chance to repaint single parts and you will not need a complete repaint, if you will not see the repaint from 10 feet far away.

6. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

HOK FBC, intercoat with HOK candy intesifier and then cleared looks pretty nice and is "fairly" hassle-free.....

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd avoid OEM kandy looking colors. VERY VERY EXPENSIVE! Most are tri-coat systems not available in the generic lines. I've done a few colors in the KBC line from HOK. Price-friendly and much easier than OEM tri-coats. You could lay down a nice dark red or even a black, to make it even easier color your sealer before paint as a base and simply color coat with the KBC. Clear it and move on. Whatever you do record your reduction, temp, number of coats and pattern, and the same for the clear. Easy repairs and low cost are the beauty of that system.

8. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

Its my friends 69 cougar. I can find out the details for you.

9. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

Thanks guys. I was looking to see if I could avoid the cost of a tri coat paint job and also how hard is would be to match a panel if something has to get repainted. I'll check out the KBC line. Im a long way away from paint but I want a clear plan

10. BISHOP

BISHOP

Ive used the KBC, and it does look good. Their red colors look best. Make sure you use their clear because anything else will bleed, and they have a lot of UV protection in their clears.

KBC blue colors tend to look good at first, but I have seen them get splochy looking later. Blue KBC colors tend to fade more or something, but the red colors are rock solid. I have had no problems first hand, but a friend of mine did a blue pick-up and in about a year it looked like poop. He may have not used the correct clear, he said he did, but I doubt it.

11. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

Hey Postman, It wasn't an OEM color. He says its Dupont hot hues, limelight green

12. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

I'm glad this thread popped up. I had been vacillating over the color for my '32 for some time. I had an El Camino that was painted by Larry Watson and wanted to try to get as close as I could to that color, a sort of mossy, avocado, goldish, greenish color. I 'thought' I had decided on Verdoro green, but I looked at the HOK KBC's and the Lime Gold over Galaxy Grey does not look like a bad alternative.

I do have one question for those that have worked with the KBC's, the dash, garnish's, jambs, hood, gas tank etc. will be sprayed at different times than the body/doors. How much trouble will I have making everything match? I've sprayed candies before, but it's been a long time and was back when HOK sold lacquer. If it's going to be a huge pain within the confines of a 'garage paint job' then I will just settle for the Verdoro.

13. BISHOP

BISHOP

As long as you dont add any flake or pearls to it you wont have a problem at all. It is REAL IMPORTANT that the pieces are sprayed the way they hang on the car. You can shoot parts seperate, but dont lay a door flat and expect it to match, it will match perfectly if its sprayed hanging up like on the car.

14. thebronc4019

thebronc4019
    from New Jersey

Chrysler Inferno Red

15. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

Great point, I had not thought of that. Ease of set-up would have had me laying each flat panel flat instead of hanging them.

For the spray-out they show that I like, they shot 6 coats over the base so I need to be sure I can count that high.

16. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Don't try to paint body panels separately. It's fine if you want to jamb the car out, paint the garnish mouldings, dash, etc., but remember how many coats you put on to make sure the color comes out uniform. I'd also be very careful with how much paint you get on the body around the jambs, and you may want to quickly sand any over spray off prior to shooting the body. You don't want the areas around the doors to be darker than the rest of the body. You want to paint it like a machine and to treat it like a true kandy, even though it will forgive minor flubs. Careful, and you'll have a great finish

17. Postman

Postman
    from Germany

Thank you Zombie 51!! and sorry for the late reply.
    That's always the same! I 'm looking for a nice OEM color and when I find something I like, it is something special.
    It's not so easy to get the HOC colors here in Germany and if, they are f**** expensive.

Now I'm checking the old colors from Japan, from Isuzu, Nissan, Honda... They had some nice colors and very rough metallic colors.

Thank you!!