Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anyone REALLY street raced? (pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, May 13, 2006.

1. Mopar_Tony_SF

Mopar_Tony_SF
    from SEA

I dunno, but here are some great shots from the track by the harbor

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7552532@N07/2177861872/in/set-72157603712632579/

cool video too,

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZjMiCg2LDRk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZjMiCg2LDRk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

2. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I think it was Neal Leffler that bought an Arfons Green Monster back in the day and took it out for a cruise on State Rd in Cleveland. That qualifies for something

3. IMPASSTA

IMPASSTA
    from EDMOND,OK

Bigrob has a DVD that is called streets of the 405. These boys get down on the street and they are serious about it. If your gonna race them you better be on your A game.

Attached Files:

4. cavemag

cavemag

Mopar made some killer street fighters in the late 60's early 70's.

5. earon1964

earon1964

love this photo!! would love having in my living room

6. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Anyone remember a hunter green 40 Willis coupe that used to race in Philly in the late 60s-early 70s has a blown 392 in it....as far as we know it was never at a strip just street raced...my buddy owns the car now and wants to know the history if possible... He also has 2 glass Willy's that we street race all the time...one with a 426 and the other with a 427 sohc can-am block(aluminum gt-40) that we just finished up we generally race rivers who claim to have the fastest cars in town and get left 2 miles behind

7. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

you must have been a street racer
    if you kept ford power on the the streets , you woulda been RAT ROLLED

8. 32Rules

32Rules

My street racer from 1976
    [​IMG]

1968 r code 428 drag PAC radio and heater delete
    12.08 quarter mile

9. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

She wasn't pretty, but it ran like a raped ape. . .

[​IMG]

10. earon1964

earon1964

pic from Two Lane Blacktop

Attached Files:

• bad.jpg
      bad.jpg
      File size:
      75.7 KB
      Views:
  11. Ed Wrath

Ed Wrath

20 years ago - ran 10's

Attached Files:

12. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

One of the best places for late night romps in Seattle. I had to add the International Raceway to the sign.

[​IMG]

13. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

early am brotherhood

Attached Files:

14. jeepfink

jeepfink
    from So Cal

Groucho, I was there for all that! From around '74-early -mid 80's.
    We had and raced through those years a 54 chevy,67 chevelle ,a friends Z1R Kawi and a holy fast strippen down and primered 64 Mustang.
    When we met as Street Racers it was at the Alpha Beta lot on Orangethorpe in La Habra,there was a 24 hour Spires to grab a snack at right across the street too. I remember when Big Willie would pull in the lot and all the BS would stop , the meeting was ON. I saw our old Sargent at arms , Nervous Glen a few years ago at a cruise out in Riverside,small world of the Brotherhood.
    I just spent a couple hours reading this thread and smiling.
    Things WERE different then,as you said we always sent a couple people ahead,never raced with effing cars on the curb and never negotiated at the race...that is what the parking lot before was for! Nabisco, Mission,Agua Mansa and I cannot even remember them all but as you said , wee hours of the morning ,industrial streets,no public, race until the spotters hollered "Cops!".
    DH was Street Racer # 689, I have his card right here!

I also did a whole lot of Wednesday Grudge at OCIR !
    This is an old post but it made my day

Attached Files:

15. Yeah we did it. Here in NJ we would race on RT 21 by Rutt's Hut hot dog joint. We would run out and stop traffic and run a race to the overpass. In '75 I had a bad '66 Ford Custom with a 14:1 427 med riser BB and Detroit Locker 4:88 rear. Car hooked hard with custom traction bars that went to just behind the door. With early reel to reel portable video we recorded a race we did with my good friend Jack who had a 68 Roadrunner with a 440. I won by half a car. Here's proof...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7HV8AGypDw

dan31 likes this.
  16. All the time! Usually at night. Here's a rare glimps of a sunday afternoon...Somewhere in about 1990.454 55 VS 350 65. The 55 wasn't enough for my nova.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

17. MorMetal

MorMetal

Not HAMB appropriate but hell ya. 66, 67, 68 I was play'in on the street with this.

[​IMG]

18. pokesmot

pokesmot
    from Las Vegas

I know this was an old thread but I ran across alot of the names of people my dad and uncles used to know and race with. These are all killer stories, I love hearing these stories from So Cal. Thanks guys.

Does anybody remember Dwayne "Foot" Powell?
    Used to paint all of my uncles cars and was a really good friend.

My uncle Steve drove the Henry J in the August issue of HOT ROD MAGAZINE 1985. (Bill's red and black anglia was in there too!)

19. pokesmot

pokesmot
    from Las Vegas

My uncles Henry J in HOT ROD in '85. Some of you may recognize some of these cars.

Attached Files:

20. lionjpt

lionjpt
    from so cal

It was called 4 lanes the day. City of Industry was the place. The box factory in
    santa fe springs was rad to. We would cruz in whittier and hook up at scottys. Great
    times.

21. lionjpt

lionjpt
    from so cal

I knew Dwayne (FOOT). He left us to soon. Dwayne painted two of my friends cars (camaros 68rs &69 z28) both black. One friend still has hiS car paint is still good cond.
    Dwayne had a duce coupe with juice and on his tunnel ram he painted mickey mouse
    with a bottle on his back flying high.

22. James6speed

James6speed

pokesmot, I have been searching for pictures of this car for a long time, any more pics?

23. Woodward Avenue nearly every night from 1969-71.....

Attached Files:

24. papastoyss

papastoyss

Yeah, I did it several times 'til I got caught & lost my drivers license! DUH, lessons learned the hard way you tend to remember!

25. I thought I was hot stuff with my Bel Air back in the middle and late 60's. I lost a street race only once, a ratty looking mud spattered, quarter panel bashed, '59 Studebaker Lark 2 door post. He cleaned my clock.
    Found out later he was running an R3 Avanti engine with a 4 speed.
    I did pick my races carefully in all honesty.
    Not many racers considered 4 doors a threat.

Note the heliarc work on the doghouse. Bill Thomas in Anaheim did some port work on it. Breathed well.
    On the rear I ran triple white stripe Dual 90's in a sticky Recap compound. Wicked sticky but tough to balance.
    Sometimes I pulled off those Fuelie emblems if the mood was right. They were too intimidating in some instances.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  26. This was my anti street race machine.
    I was always getting challenged with this thing. I had to keep a chain and lock on the hood latch to keep a secret.

It was a slug 6 cylinder with a glide. Couldn't fall off a cliff, embarrassing, but it was all I could afford in high school.
    The liability insurance I had to carry cost me more than the car cost. Looked cool though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  27. cheezwiz

cheezwiz

Here's an actual pic of me in a street race @ the Street Machine Nats in 1979. I had just finished the car that weekend and on Sat. night some guy in a blown 66 Corvette kept asking me questions about the car in the motel parking lot. Mostly he was bragging about how fast his car was and basically belittling my car. I just ignored him but later, when I went to take a friend for a ride the Corvette came after me. This shot is heading toward Shadeland and 21st st. , As you can see by how tall the rear tires are I was going reeeeeally fast. I beat the Corvette by oh I dunno...20 car lengths?? EVERYONE I know saw it and MANY got pics. This is one. It was a pretty serious car...468, blower pistons, 6% overdrive, 400 turbo, stall converter, 5:13 gears, 14x32 Firestones

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  28. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

When I use to live in Nashville my roommate had a bad ass 65 mustang with a bunch of work done to the motor... But he couldnt drive it. I ran it for him and had some fun times... Really stupid when I look back at it now though... Running a redlight on a blind intersection, sliding sideways going about 85 all to run from a cop...

Did make pretty good money though

29. pontman

pontman

My brother told me some stories about Golden Gardens in the late 70's.
    Cool pic.

30. spiders web

spiders web

Use to race the berlin turnpike in Conn in the mid 70's. Had a 67 Coronet R/T. The car ran 10.89 at Conn dragway. We always ran for pinks or cash. Won alot of money with that car and only lost it once. Really pissed off Ronnie J. when I won my car back with his 66 Nova. He'd been trying to beat me for months and all that happened was I took his money. He say's to me I know my car will beat yours cause you did it. Sorry Ronnie but "You can't drive"! There was a McDonalds at one end and 1/4 mile up was a BurgerKing. Every one had a CB and we knew where the cops were. Great times almost a lifetime ago.