Register now to get rid of these ads!

Project "Daily Driver"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2002p51, Dec 31, 2010.

1. 2002p51

2002p51

Some of you may remember back in August when I posted that we had just bought this '62 Falcon.

[​IMG]

The idea was to use it for driving back and forth to work. But the best laid plans and all that. This car has given me nothing but grief and has been entirely unreliable. The biggest problem is 48 years of previous owners "fixing" things poorly and jerry rigging stuff. I thought about naming this thread "Project F-ing Faclon" because, more often than not, that's what I called it every time I tried to drive it.

Anyway, the decision was made to give up on trying to patch things together and just tear it down and fix everything right. So today we finally had the chance to get it into to the garage and start "Project Daily Driver"

[​IMG]

Here's a little idea of the wiring. Half the wires in this shot don't go anywhere!

[​IMG]

This isn't a spider on crack, it's some of the junk I was able to rip out in just the first few minutes.

[​IMG]

I bought a Rebel Wire kit to re-wire the car from headlight to taillight. I'm also going to pull the engine and trans to do some cosmetic work, fix a leaky oil pan gasket, rear transmission seal, and put in a new clutch.

I'll try to keep this thread updated and all questions and comments are welcome.

The plan is to have it back on the road by spring. Real life has a way interfering with plans like that, especially around here, but I'm gonna try. :D

2. 2002p51

2002p51

The pile of crap wiring got a little bigger today.

[​IMG]

The gauge cluster is out and I've got the car about 90% de-wired now. I still have to remove the switches from the dash and de-wire them. I'm leaving the steering column wires in place so I can splice them into the Rebel Wire kit.

[​IMG]

I'm going to make a new gauge panel with aftermarket gauges to fit inside the stock bezel.

Haven't yet figured out what I'm going to do with that big ugly hole the previous owner made for a stereo. :(

3. 454navyss

454navyss

good luck, hopefully you will be able to use it as a reliable daily driver when you are finished

4. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

Nice looking car send me some pictures when you get done.
    I'll post them on Rebel Wire blog

5. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

These Falcons wiring wasn't much to brag about had the previous owner left it alone either... I was a happy owner of a '62 for a while my biggest complaint was the electircal system and it was never really messed with, just old. good luck Im excited to see the end result. Too bad about the big ass radio hole, there are so many options that could have prevented this, some people just get zaw zall happy (or chizel and hammer happy)

6. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Almost fifty years later, it's not shocking that the wiring has seen better days. There was a good post about an instrument cluster for these cars recently. Good luck with the build and the timeline. Please keep us updated.

7. 2002p51

2002p51

Might have been mine. I converted the original dash cluster to hold aftermarket gauges, and it came out pretty nice:

[​IMG]

8. straight6

straight6
    from alabama

thats a cool idea on the guage cluster. my falcon has been all flying colors with me. she is a good ole girl.

Attached Files:

9. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY