Register now to get rid of these ads!

exhaust putty? Will it work in a bind(er)?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly4008, Jan 1, 2011.

1. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

OK, so i've got an off-topic vehicle with a leak at the exhaust manifold. It is a '63 IH Scout 80, and it just formed a wicked leak. The fumes dump right into the cab.

I am in need of a QUICK, TEMPORARY fix to get me through 4-5 hours of use. I need it fixed by 10:30AM, that is why i cant sit and wait for the gasket to come in. Has anyone ever used this exhaust putty/sealant stuff you see on the shelf at autozone?

I was thinking about putting it around the rear port on my manifold as that it the only part the gasket blew out.

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

red hi temp silicone sealer

3. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

yeah? Hey, i got that!

4. testpilot

testpilot
    from Denver

That stuff works (in the small screw on lid) great ... easy to clean up no blow outs its like liquid glass metals and hardens quickly ...LOVE IT Had it on a manifold for 8 months no leaks no problems

5. yonahrr

yonahrr

I've found the best stuff to use is refractory cement. You can get it at most hardware stores. It's used for sealing holes in flue pipes and wood stoves. I've put the stuff between two exhaust flanges and slammed her home. If the bolts stay tight it'll stay in their long enough that you'll forget about buying a real gasket and fixing it right. Check out my build. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468936

Jerry
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

6. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

JB Weld.

Period.

7. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

8. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

I love JB weld but it can easily burn out
    Kinda depends on exactly where your leak is

9. brandon

brandon

i used some stuff , i think from permatex.....was grey , and dried like concrete. sealed up a couple decent sized holes in a exhaust system.

10. The Shocker

The Shocker

I tried JB on a cracked header and it burned right off in about 30 minutes of run time.I cleaned the surface spotless and let it dry over night .You could start to smell it burning in about 5 minutes.I was using it about 6 inches from the head though.Might work better a little further away ...

11. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

My leak is at the rear of the exhaust manifold between the head and the manifold. The gasket blew out on the #4 cylinder. Im likin' that RTV idea, i could just spread it on with my finger. Like i said, this is only a temporary fix, im not looking to jerry rig it permanently. I think the JB will haunt me when i go to put the new gasket in.

I'll be at the parts store waiting for them to open in the morning, then just take a minute and see what they have to offer.

12. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

RTV will be gone before you can get the shit cleaned off your fingers. The high temp versions are rated for intermittent use at 500*F and your exhaust will exceed that by 300 to 500 degrees.

JB and similar stuff is epoxy, and it won't stand the heat either.

Probably gonna be some soot on both metal surfaces at the point of the blowout, and that will keep anything from sticking in place even if it can handle the temps. A squirt of carb cleaner might help clean it, and the exhaust sealing goo will have the best chance of sealing.

13. testpilot

testpilot
    from Denver

Listen to Metlmunchr JB weld will burn off

14. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

JB weld will burn off. Doubt that anything from a tube will last any longer.
    I bought a set of the Percy's dead soft aluminum gaskets once, There 3 pieces of aluminum with the inner edge kind of curled up. If you really have to try to fix it before you can buy a new gasket, maybe try and cut a few gaskets from a beer can.
    I bet it would work. I'd run it like it is though. How bad could it be? Roll the windows down...
    I'd cut at least 3. Use them all together.

15. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

Whatever. Silicone is like a girls' boobs. Of course, many HAMBERS have never felt those, but consider 14 lbs of exhaust pressure, Silicone??????????? Gimme a break!

I have used JB Weld on a 12.5 to one Big Block Chevy directly opposing an exhaust port on a 1/4 mile car.

It works.

motorhead748 likes this.
  16. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

espo35- did you just say whatever? Like a 90210 valley girl whatever? LOL

I tried to fix a Hooker Corvette side pipe header with JB weld last summer. The collector rusted out. Used 5 tubes of JB in there, let it cure for 2 weeks, and it burned out the first day. And if you're putting it on tonight, isnt isnt going to cure by tomorrow morning. The only thing JB weld is good for is glueing the guy's hard hat to the steel beam in the comercial for it

17. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

No, dipshit. I said it like a 51 year old man who has been feeding his family with what he knows about cars for 35 years.

They're all well fed, and some of them have PHD's.

What the fuck do YOU know?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  18. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I have used the high temp expoxy putty in a pinch. It works. It won't last a long, long time, but it will meet your needs as stated.

19. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

I know your a pretty grumpy old man for one thing, and I don't have kids eating my pockets from the inside out while I fix everything with JB Weld

20. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

Think about this, fool who tries to repair rust with JB Weld..... Vic Edelbrock was my uncle. He loved lasagna with sliced, hard-boiled eggs on the cheese.

If you don't know what you're talking about...shut the fuck up.

The man asked a queston. I answered it with a response I know to be true.

You, on the other hand, bring nothing except a bad attitude, meager tatoos on tiny biceps and a cheating, meth-addicted wife.

Please drive through.

21. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

I'll bet you a million bucks Vic Edelbrock's not your uncle. (I accept paypal)
    I don't have a single tat(Nothing against tats)
    and i'm not married-(Not that stupid)
    And don't have a bad attitiude. (You called me a dipshit)
    Good night pops

22. 1hot57

1hot57

Sanderson recommends red silicon for a seal on all there headers. I have used it for years with good results. I also believe the forum is no place for bickering.And bad language. After all this is a family SHOW

23. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Well said sir.

Well its almost down to crunch time, and my 2year old is not going to allow me to devote a whole heap of time to work on this problem. I'll do the RTV, the worse that could happen is it doesnt work.

If/when it doesnt work I'll take the doors off. Hey, its a Scout. Jeeps fat, ugly cousin.

24. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Don't waste your time or money. I had a muffler shop for 25 years. I've had to chip that shit off of manifolds and pipes.

There is no easy way. If you want to use the red silicone on new gaskets that's one thing but to try and pack anything into an open joint and expect it to stay there after it sets up is a fairytale.

Be sure to remove the manifold and use straight edge to make sure the it's flat or the new gasket will blow out in short order. The escaping gasses can actually erode the cast iron away leaving voids that blow out quickly. If there is any question, get the manifold surfaced at any good machine shop. They do it on a large bench top belt sander. It's not expensive and can save you from a repeat performance.

Anything else and you will not only have to do it all over again but you will also have to clean up the mess that you made. I always charged extra to clean up that shit when Harry homeowner finally got tired of the makeshift patch work.

25. refried confusion

refried confusion

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  26. crash11049

crash11049

LOL I was wondering the same thing, why not just fix it the right way.

27. belyea_david

belyea_david
    from Regina, SK

Drive with the both windows down/open and the heater on full.

Seriously, It should get you through if you need it bad enough.

Even if you live in the Great White North, eh!

28. i have used a lot of the exhaust sealer on cheep customers, works if you dry it out before starting, like a trouble light or heat lamp
    got a ton of stuff in stock for IHC o rings flanges and even a manifold gst on my shop wall they eat a lot of exhaust parts especially exhaust rings:cool:
    JMHO tired exhaust shop guy retired too

29. I might've postefd this to u b4. If not chk this new product. Its in process of being produced.
    I have a connector part being built that prevents leaks and well suited to b included with an aftermarket headers.

30. Hey Tommy. U r a rare breed. In my experience, the ppl that understood my product the most were muffler tech. Shop owners too but they like the cut and weld labor. Anyway, give me a thumbs up or down plz.