Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Remembering Sparkomatic...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69tincanfairlane, Jan 1, 2011.

1. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Sparkomatic:

No, not the late 1970's stereo equipment they use to sell. This thread is dedicated to the early years of the company. The 1960's shifters, tachometers, gauges, traction bars, wire looms, etc., that was available for hot rodders.

I've collected and restored a few Sparkomatic items over the last few years and would consider them rare. This off-brand was cheaper in price and often in quality. But they had cool 1960's styling to them, and some of the designs and products they offered were quite innovative for the time.

Share your pictures, stories, memories, praises, and or complaints of this bygone company... Sparkomatic.

Lots more pictures and information to come... stay tuned.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

I bought a Sparkomatic shifter for my '53 Ford in about '66 from a store called White Front in San Bernardino. It had a bad habit of trying to engage first and second at the same time. The result would spit the cluster gear out the bottom of the case. I removed it and threw it as far as I could.

chryslerfan55, jimmy six and Deuces like this.
  3. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I put a Sparkomatic floor shifter in my first car, a '51 Chevy 235 babbit beater. I think I bought the shifter from Almquist. It worked good.The knob was clear green plastic and looked something like a yo-yo. High school cool!:cool:

chryslerfan55 and jimmy six like this.
  4. Cyclone GT

Cyclone GT

I bought a Sparkomatic shifter for my 59 Ford at Seat Cover Charley's in Indianapolis in 66.

5. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Similar to this?

6. I had a shifter in a Chev 3 speed.It was not of good quality:D

Deuces and irishsteve like this.
  7. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

I worked for Kragen Auto Supply in the late '70's where we sold Sparkomatic stereos. Like most of the junk we sold, it was cheap and middle-of-the-road in quality.

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  8. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Yup! Exactly.

Speed-shifting with my Sparkomatic shifter, I broke the 19 second barrier in the quarter mile at Atco Dragway!!:eek:

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Here's an old Almquist receipt I saved from 1963 when I bought a flatty 296 stroker kit.
    [​IMG]

10. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Like most speed equipment companies of the time, they had wild claims. "Fastest Drag Shift Made!" This from the box of my 1965 Sparkomatic Super Shifter. You would not get away with claims like this today unless it was substantiated.

11. Sparks75

Sparks75
    from Troy, Ohio

Had one of their 3-speed shifters in my stock car, worked ok, never had any problems with it. Of course the quality was middle of the road. After that sold transmission & shifter to a friend that put it in a Chevy pick-up truck who wore the truck out with it. Bought mine at a place called Rocky's Automotive who was later bought out by Nationwise / Rod Shops.

12. think i got one of them with the wood handle had it priced at $35 for swap meets, did not sell yet!!!:mad:

Deuces, belair and MrPhat40 like this.
  13. scooterseats

scooterseats
    from East Texas

I installed a Spark-O-Matic shifter in my '57 Chevy in '66. Bought it at TG&Y in Oklahoma City. As I recall it was a little hard to get fine tuned but once in it was a tough shifter that took my teen abuse without any problems.
    It lasted through me and another teen before the car gave up the ghost!

14. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

The "Roller Shifter" automatic inline pattern. Cool holes in the shifter handle.

(A few extra mouse clicks on the ads will blow them up fully to read clearly.)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  15. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

One more for tonite. The Custom X.

(A few extra mouse clicks on the ads will blow them up fully to read clearly.)

16. 61bone

61bone

My coupe still has the wood handle Sparkomatic in it and it works very well.

17. rustdodger

rustdodger

here is a couple photos of my Sparkomatic 3 speed floor shifter. I guess I's better fill out that warranty card and get it in the mail!

Attached Files:

18. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Sparkomatic "Slim Line" gauges. These were new for 1965! Very small... only 6" long 4"deep 1.5" tall. I had to make replacement side wood pieces as they were gone when I got it.

19. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Sparkomatic had a poor reputation but their radio worked well for me for many years

20. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Tell that to the people who make the "Tornado fuel saver"

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  21. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a Sparkomatic in '62 for my '54 high school Ford. Never had any problem with it, and it was a big deal with many of my friends, as floor shifts were just becoming very popular. :D

22. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a Sparkomatic shifter from a friend in about 1965, installed it in the driveway and being a dumb young college kid installed it with the transmission shift levers upside down, so the shift pattern was flipped. I can't remember if I fixed that or not but I used it until about 69 or 70 when I put a four speed in it. It had a wood knob that was similar to the green plastic knob shown in an earlier pic. It worked as good as I could row it. Wish I had it to hang on the wall with the other garage art I have.

23. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

I didn't know that even existed until now...

One hell of a gimmick product. Ranks right up there with Prolong Oil additive and Split Fire spark plugs.

Yeah... even today some companies do make some wild claims.:D

24. burnout2614

burnout2614

Sold a pile of Spark-o-matic back in the 70's early 80's. Has'nt been on my mind at all.....til now! peace

25. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

Had a Sparkomatic shifter in my '53 F-100...Was in it when I blught, worked great and was still there when I sold it (dumb move)

26. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

owned a couple of the cheapest spark-o-matic shifters-the shift handle was 1/2 rod ,threaded both ends.after some abuse the rod would always break off where it threaded into the shifter.the quick fix was to unscrew the knob,turn the rod upside down and keep driving.the problem was you couldnt get enough electrical tape wrapped around the broken[now top] end to save your hand.

27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

bought this 1 at a swap meet last fall

[​IMG]

28. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I don't know if it was real or just a perception but my memory is that sparkomatic was used as a synonym for cheap copy cat parts. It might have been a perception because I always avoided their stuff so I have no real experience with their stuff but it was a popular opinion in my area.

29. storm king

storm king

What he said...

30. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Here's a couple more Sparkomatic shifter ads. Check out that deluxe console!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011