Register now to get rid of these ads!

$737,000,000 hot rod came by today!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mazooma1, Jan 1, 2011.

1. big creep

big creep

i was at nellis air force base and was parked right next to the runway, got to see a B1B take off! that was really punk rock! and everyone else there could have cared less. i guess you get used to it? i know i wouldn't.

2. dmw56

dmw56

I live in NM and work at Kirtland and have worked at the former Walker AFB in Roswell. We see weird shit flying all the time! :eek:

3. there was one at the Fairford air show a couple of years ago, I got to chat to the pilot and crew...very cool guys even cooler when they gave me a "remove before flight" tag off the plane.....it's now the key tag for my A

4. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Got a buddy who has been working on the Phantom Ray project...It just took a piggyback ride on top a 747 a few weeks back ....It looks like a small version B2 , its a drone stealth fighter, put in the mission and let her go...no pilot...Got some pics of it ...pretty cool looking! No telling what all is out there for sure!:D

5. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

stealth camera & a quick finger :D cool photo

6. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

It's stealth. I didnt see a damn thing.

7. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

Where i live here in Missouri,A couple of those fly over my house every evening about the same time. Usually ones taking fuel from a tanker plane. Sure makes a man proud!

8. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Awesome.... How many beaters could I build with 737 mil????

9. ponchoman

ponchoman

Worked on that program for 10 years until I retired 6 years ago. One impressive Air Vehicle, but it sure ain't loud.

10. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Those never get old! I grew up near (as in shared property lines with) Whiteman AFB, both Grandpa's being retired USAF. With a LT. Col. uncle and friends and Grandpa's connections I spent alot of time on base, around air shows, and just plane watching. I've been in the old missle silos and up close to some of the planes, the B2 included. My Grandma used to call out what the planes were flying over her house by sound and I would go outside and look...she was never wrong. :) A-10's were my favorite, low and loud!

During college I worked for a contractor at Whiteman and our shop was for some reason in a field out at the end of the runway. The B2 taxi'ed by all the time I waved at the pilots a couple of times and have some cool pics. During the early days of Operation Iraqi Freedom I remember seeing the B2 flying daily on it's way to the middle east and watching the news reports. I was at Wal-Mart one time during OIF and saw a B2 pilot, still in his greens buying some groceries with his family...pretty cool to think he might have been on a mission that very day. They flew round trip, 44 hour missions. Dropped their bombs and came home.

My first employer built the hanger facilities for the B2, worked with some of the guys they told me about getting some really cool priveledges.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  11. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Keep in mind that thing is already 30 year old technology, 1985, remember 1985, we could not have a HAMB then, the net was not ready or even really existing then. I wonder what the one that we can't see looks like, could shoot a chick pea off your stove top in Cali from New York is my bet. Still a cool thing to see. Nice shot of it Mazooma.

12. Displayman

Displayman

Where are the ghost flames??

Bob

13. They are based out of Whiteman AFB, MO.

The depot maintenance is done at Tinker AFB, and yes, they've been here. It's a rare event, but they do come by here now and then.

14. tcb-1

tcb-1

used to know a B2 pilot who came by the shop when he was coming to KC to pick up his daughter. these guys are a different breed. when he came by, most of the time he wore his green flight uniform with his squadron insignia and bird's name on it. I felt like a little boy just to talk to him. very cool guy, but very to the point and crazy intelligent.

to have that much technology at your fingertips has got to be a fuckin' trip.

15. Jeff J

Jeff J

About 8 years ago in Thanksgiving weekend we were out in the Mojave desert near Edward's air force base in Calif. riding our dirt bikes and we came up to top of one of the hills, one of these flew over the top of us ! You could see the bottom panels , we all had vapor lock in our butts !

16. Thats cool Mazooma. When I was building our house one morning I heard a noise that I knew was a B1 (they are stationed here) but it was LOW. Looked up and got buzzed by them as they shot over Mt Rushmore...................seconds later I got my big surprise, a B2 like that one damn close to the deck! They both went over the Celebration at Rushmore.

17. The B1s do a flyover WITH afterburners of Main street Sturgis each year during the Rally. Badass jet on the deck with 70K folks frozen still. Unbelievable

18. Always good to see something America does very well, neat pictures.

19. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

man thats sweet. the only military jets i got to see was a few F-16s flying around the day of the world trade center crashes. and a few F-18s a few months ago for the jets first game of the season. atleast thats what i think it was for.

20. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a B2 flyover at a Charlotte nascar race a few years back, really spectacular. Great shots Doug.

21. saw it circle at the miami air show a few years back...gave me the same "feeling" when i was shadowed by a shark when diving in the bahamas with a full bag of speared fish.

22. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

When I was driving truck, I used to see those
    things doing practice bombing runs around
    Minot North Dakota. That was back around
    1996-97 when these "stealth" bombers were
    still new technology.

Mart3406
    ======================

23. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

MY nephew used to be an information officer(NCO) at their base in MO. Now he is stationed over in UK.

24. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Had one come in for an air show a few years back. Snuck in, flew overhead, banked right above us and left. COULD NOT HEAR IT until it was flying away! If he were coming for me, I'd have crapped on my camel!

25. God Bless America

and to channel my inner redneck "that shits just cool" ;)

26. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"i promise you can only see it when the pilot wants you too.... " There is a toggle switch on the dash - "visible" / "invisible" ..... vic

27. no man,.......it has 6 red ram hemis runnin it thats why it sould so cool:D

28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

The ultimate "Sleeper".

29. Id be willing to bet its got a little more HP than our old cars. Very cool.

30. big creep

big creep

that must be a sight to see!
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eFtQumu58AQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eFtQumu58AQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011