Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Big Block and fenderwell headers, question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 42hotrod, Dec 24, 2010.

1. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

In my other thread we got on the conversation of headers and the problem with fit and the stock steering gear. I'm to the point of ordering/ buying headers and was wondering if anyone can verify the patriots will clear the stock manual steering gear on a tri-5?

Engine is in "stock" location (I ordered stock location mounts, not the ones that set engine forward or back)

Its a standard deck 454. 55 Chevy chassis with stock manual gear.

I mocked up my steering to get a good look today and WOW is it close on 5, and pretty close on 7.
    Here is how close I am to the gear, 2 views:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the patriots, and they sure look like #'s 5 and 7 are raised weay up to clear the gear.

Any input??

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance,

Scot

2. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

looks like you have just enough room to squeeze in there,plug wires may be a concern

3. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

Plug wires are good, allready had them on and tons of room :)

4. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

Back to the top for the Christmas morning crowd!!

5. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Looks like they will fit with a squeeze from the angle of the headers but I"d do myself a favor and ditch that Fram filter, just sayin because they're not the filter that so many people think

6. Merry Christmas to all on the HAMB! I don't know about the fit with the stock steering gear but I bought the Patriots and the drivers' side tire contacted the header when turned to the left.I went with a straight axle and moved the wheels 3" forward and that solved it.

7. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

we have done two sets and they both either fit well or touched by about a 1/16th inch ...

8. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

I had the patriots on my 55 with my blown bigblock, but the drivers side tire did hit when turning left even with HD bb ft springs . i raised the engine and set it back slightly .i think there will be stearing box issues in stock location I think what i am saying is they are cheap and you get what you pay for [under $300] I pulled the BB and installed a wild small block I bought a set of dougs ,fit like they were custom made for MY set up [$600] YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR so shop around you may try buying a set of un coated headers and alter a few tubes or find a local speed shop and have a set made for your app. again .YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

9. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

We put Patriots on a friend of mines 55 and NO they didn't clear the steering box. We temporarily solved the problem by moving the engine over to the passenger side, then later we modified the 2 rear tubes at the port to put the engine back in the (Danchuck) stock location.

10. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

I will go with the Patriots, a HAMBer contacted me and said he had a set for sale reasonably. I'm on a really tight budget right now and if I have to modify them slightly I will. I had some cash set aside for this project then my 15 Y.O compressor died and I had rebuilt it like 5 times so this was the final death and so 1200.00 later my car budget got shot right in the butt.

I appreciate everyones input especially those that posted they will work but are close. Hopefully my engine is set back far enough the tires won't contact. I doubt they will, for now I'm running 14" front runners just because I have a new pair sitting around :)

Thanks everyone and merry christmas!!!

11. bretcopsey

bretcopsey
    from DAYTON, OH

12. mrgasser396

mrgasser396
    from NEW YORK

The #5 will hit the steering box # 7 is ok you have to modify the tube or raise the engine up. also check the motor mounts bolted to the motor the make 2 different hights one lifts the motor about a 1/2 inch higher than the other even with the extra 1/2 inch you still have to modify the # 5 tube.

13. chop32

chop32

I had this problem on my '55 Chevy a few years ago. I re-drilled (and sleeved) the steering box mounting holes in the frame and lowered the box. I had to weld a tab under the frame for the lower mounting bolt which ended up just under the frame rail. Also had to cut a small notch in the top of the rail for box clearance. The holes in the stock column to firewall mount had enough slop in them that it didnt have to be modified.
    You may have clearance issues between the header and the upper e-brake cable pulley. I was able to move the pulley so it sat behind the body mount and then moved the e-brake lever over the same amount.