Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rosie the Riveter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eaglebeak, Dec 30, 2010.

1. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Muscle-flexing Rosie the Riveter poster model dies at 86

LANSING, MICH. A woman whose photo was the inspiration for an iconic poster that lauded the efforts of working American women during the Second World War has died.
    Geraldine Doyle died Sunday in Lansing at age 86.
    A photograph of Doyle as a 17-year-old factory worker was the model for the well-known Rosie the Riveter poster of a woman wearing a head scarf and a flexing a well-formed bicep, the Lansing State Journal reported.
    Entitled We Can Do It!, the image inspired daughters, sisters and mothers to trade in the tools of housework and take jobs in plants across the country while their men were away at war.
    “She was definitely one of the Rosies,” said Sandy Soifer, executive director of the Michigan Women’s Historical Center and Hall of Fame, in referring to the fictional Rosie the Riveter, a nickname given to women working in plants during the war.
    “It’s our belief that she is the model for the drawing that is most commonly used in the posters and on the products,” Soifer said.
    Rosie the Riveter was also the title of a popular 1940s song, and the title of a painting by Norman Rockwell of a woman factory worker holding a rivet gun.
    Doyle told the Lansing State Journal in 2002 that she didn’t realize the illustrated face on the poster, commissioned by the U.S. War Production Co-ordinating Committee was her own until 1984, four decades later, when she saw a reproduction of it in a magazine.
    A memorial service for Doyle is scheduled for Jan. 8.

2. lorodz

lorodz

wow we were just talking about her last week at my shoppe turns out she had a grand son who worked for the old man i worked for he has a poster of her in the shoppe and than an artical rite next to it with her photo and another with my boss and her in it ...he was just saying how she was one of the women who work during ww2 poppin rivits in planes ....r.i.p
    dont know if its a tru story

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

if you'll check a bit further, that news story is incorrect - the lady that just passed away was the model for the "We Can Do It" poster which has nothing to do with Rosie the Riveter.

4. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Yes, it says that in the article.
    Also says she was one of the "rosie the Riveter" during the war, which there were thousands of.
    Don't be so picky.

5. Deuces

Deuces

I heard that on Fox2 news here in Detroit earlier... It'll be on again at 10 pm tonight.. This time I'll watch it...

6. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

She only worked there for 2 weeks too, right?

7. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

An Awesome time in our history!
    [​IMG]

8. sacredsteel1

sacredsteel1

Id to love to see the original picture. Such a huge part of history........ RIP

9. Deuces

Deuces

That picture needs to be BIGGER..

10. my mother was one of them , she worked at Boeing on B-17's

11. My Mother operated a punch press when Reminton produced .45 automatics in Syracuse during the war...

12. screwball

screwball

Actually Rosie the Riveter was modeled after Veronica Foster a Canadian war poster star named Ronnie The Bren Gun Girl 1937 as we were in the war a little earlier than you guys. But as Canadians we are not supposed to say any thing that might cause controversy.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  13. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

My Mom was a supply sargent during WWII,After the war she worked making bullets, At 88 she still deer hunts and did get a deer again this season. A strong generation.

14. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

I work at a college and that poster is hanging in the hallway near the cafeteria.

15. 1930 vicky

1930 vicky
    from England,UK

Had a trip to Palm Springs air Museum after VLV and took these pictures aparently the picture was considered too "butch" looking hence the redesigned poster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We really enjoyed the visit as we have so much history here in Norfolk which was full of USAAF bases in WW2.

16. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

[​IMG]

17. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

18. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Hmmm. Since this was not a Canadian poster, it seems unlikely the USA would use a Canadian model as a USA war effort inspiration.

edit: after reading your post, I reread the "modeled after', and added this:

Seems though, according to Wikipedia, she WAS the Canadian equivalent to Rosie:

Veronica Foster, popularly known as "Ronnie, the Bren Gun Girl", was a Canadian icon representing nearly one million Canadian women who worked in the manufacturing plants that produced munitions and materiel during World War II. Foster worked for John Inglis Co. Ltd producing Bren light machine guns on a production line on Strachan Avenue in Toronto, Ontario.[1] She can be seen as the Canadian precursor to the American fictional propaganda tool Rosie the Riveter.

She became popular after a series of propaganda posters were produced; most images featured her working for the war effort, but others depicted more casual settings like Foster dancing the jitterbug or attending a dinner party

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  19. screwball

screwball

I did not say it was a CANADIAN girl. I just brought up some other history on the subject if thats ok if not I will remove my post like a good Canadian. And if you read my post I did say it was modeled after a Canadian poster not by a Canadian girl.

20. moefuzz

moefuzz

[​IMG]

you tell me?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  21. screwball

screwball

Thanks MOE thats a pic of Ronnie the Bren Gun Girl 1937

22. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Whoa there, screwball. Read my post again! I admitted that I read your original post wrong (the part that says edit), and gave the appropriate credit with the Wikipedia quote.

23. My Mom too. She built P-38 Lightnings at Lockheed.

24. bonebroke

bonebroke
    from WI.

hey, that gun girl is hot!! but, wheres all the tats and, lip rings?:confused:

25. screwball

screwball

Sorry our countries have a great shared history on this subject. I didnt post mine as one oneupmanship just as a add on to history. I did not want to cause drama. All is good.

26. 62nova

62nova

Hubba hubba.

27. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

yep, all's good!:cool:

28. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

More of the Canadian broad. . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Hi Everyone..
    Thanks for sharing this piece of our American history and Canadian too.. My dad was too old to serve in WWII, but worked in Ankeny, Iowa for US Rubber, making tank shells, all during the war...was a furnace operator, as shells or casings had to go through a heat process.

I worked 21 years (1972-1992) in Building D at Offutt AFB, where the B-29s were built by Lockheed Martin. The Enola Gay and Bockscar were both built in there and later came back to be modified to carry the 2 atomic bombs to Japan.. Have been to Trinity Site 3 times here in New Mexico, to see the history of the first atomic explosion...Also in the mid 1990s, I traveled to Dayton, Ohio and got to touch Bockscar at the AF Museum.

One has to think of the dedication of all those workers in the plants, building the war machine that helped take down the Third Reich and then Japan.

Very cold day and very windy here in New Mexico as we close out another year.. HAPPY NEW YEAR, HAMBers.:). duane

30. 1952henry

1952henry

What an era that was.