Register now to get rid of these ads!

ATTN Machinists - What is this lathe part??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Dec 30, 2010.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey everyone! I posted this up in the social group, but didn't get any replies. Thought I would try the main board. I've tried a couple other machinists sites and got no reply there either.

This came with a Wards/Logan 10" Lathe I purchased from another HAMBer, recently. I cannot figure out what it is. No numbers or markings that I can see on it. It appears to be very purposeful with the adjusters, some angled holes, a ground mounting surface, and even a strange adjustable ball and socket under that lever.

Anyone have a clue what the heck this thing is? It doesn't show up in the parts manual and I can't seem to get a response from anyone on what it is?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Does the paint on the mystery part match the paint on the lathe it came with? or is it off something completely different?

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes! It does indeed match the paint on the tail stock and part of the counter-shaft assembly. Maybe the person that painted it also painted all their other machine tools this color, though. Could be off of something totally different. I have no idea, though.

4. dubcee

dubcee

Got a couple more pics of different angles? Looks like it may bolt to the right side of the carrage to engage the threading lead, but if that is it it is missing a gear. Hard to tell with one pic. My .02

5. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

maybe its an adjustable stop for the tailpiece?

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a ton of misc. parts that came with it. I'm sure if it's supposed to be there, it's just in a box with the other stuff.

I'll get some more pictures. I don't have my camera with me, so I'll have to use my cell phone. My apologies ahead of time.

7. Deuces

Deuces

Looks like a feed stop.. I have a 7" X 10" lathe and it don't have anything like it....

8. i have a 10" Logan lathe and i don't recognize the part at all

9. Philo Beddoe

Philo Beddoe
    from Central Ca

Possibly part of a taper attachment.

10. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

base for a steady rest used with long limber pieces? obviously the ring would be missing.

11. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

my guess would be an adjustable carriage-feed stop. they usually clamp to the front way-rail on the lathe bed, near the headstock, and one of the bolts will contact a corresponding plunger on the carriage to stop the feed

12. I've never seen a carriage stop that looked quite like that. The shoulder on the cross screw tells me it was designed for something to ride in that area.

My guess would be part of the follower assembly for a taper attachment. It looks like there is a small lip or dovetail on the back side. See if there is a spot on the back of the cross slide where it might attach.

13. squirrel

squirrel

[​IMG]

Not this one....

[​IMG]

or this one either

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I was thinking about the taper attachment, but I don't think that's it either. Maybe part of a tool post grinder or something??? :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cross slide and carrier

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tail stock with matching "John Deere green" paint...

[​IMG]

16. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

looks like its missing parts for sure.

17. kenny g

kenny g

Its a genuine front weight jacker for a henway race car.

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I probably have the "missing" parts, but what is it missing?? I don't know what it is! HAHA!

Anyone have a pictures of it in it's complete form so I can dig through the rest of the parts and see if the parts are there?

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHA! So not a Dikfer, then? :rolleyes::p

20. What else do you have? It definitley looks like something should be on that verticle bolt judging by the fact that it is only threaded at the very top.

I have a Logan I got handed down from my Dad and Grandfather and it doesn't look familiar to me.

21. The angled bolt hole thru the center says it was designed to wedge against that lip. Condition of the "bottom" surface shows about how big the contact area was. It doesn't fit on the ways... Something definitely rode on that stud sticking out the "top" I'm still thinking something to do with a taper attachment, but there's more to it.

22. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

What ever that part is it sure looks like it was at the bottom of the box. Some where, some how sooner or later during performing the functions of your lathe you may find that you just can't do a certain task. That may be when you figure out what that is. I would just clean it up and make it ready for the Saturday morning when it says "Hey Scoot, Guess what I do?"

23. Hey Scott does the levered handle shaft go all the way through to the hole on the other side?

24. Part of a keyway cutter or shaper attachment, I think.

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You asked for it! :D Some of the stuff in here is obvious, but some if it is a mystery to me. Maybe someone will recognize a part that belongs to it...

[​IMG]

HAHA! Totally! :D

I agree!

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope! It's a short bolt with the "wing" on the end. Almost like it's supposed to fasten something to the side of it.

Interesting! I'll search around google...

An added note. The side with the bolt sticking out of it is also has machined surfaces on either side.

27. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

will it bolt to the bottom of the tail stock near the front?

28. squirrel

squirrel

My lathe came with a sprinkler wrench too

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doesn't appear to, no. Dimensionally, it doesn't appear to match up with the tail stock either.

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bwahaha! Yep! Indeed it did! :D