Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saved a cool one from the crusher! UPDATE!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cfnutcase, Dec 3, 2010.

1. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

Holy crap this Photoshop stuff will make my head explode! Very, very kool, but I’m way too old to even think about a project like this. You go for it my friend; wait in my rocker for the build pictures. LOL George Barris must have one in his head.

2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wooden that make a nice car!!
    :rolleyes:
    Doc.

3. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

4. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

It's just wrong that no one has seen the potential in that car for all these years. Great find and thanks for saving her!

5. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Well I will do it! I will get to bracing the body this week and cut it up and get it to the blaster, I have a 4-door 49 merc that will be great for this, all I need is the front doors from a merc woody and the upper tailgate, I will keep checking on that one you sent me the info on Racemad55. I can use the doors from this car for the rear doors and make then the suiside doors, then just shorten the fronts a bit to make it look right. Should be a interesting project, I will keep you all informed! Jim

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

This will be a cool project for sure. Are you going to chop the top?

7. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Yes it will be chopped. I will be posting picsw as I go. I started today, pulled the front clip off the ford, started pulling the body off the merc, did some measuring on the woody, I think I am going to stretch it about 6" for the rear doors so they dont look so small like they do in the pic above. I think it will be easiest to do this right at the B-pillar. I hope to have the frame at the blasters monday, have it blasted and powder coated this week, and start on supension, that way I can get the cowel on and start working my way back. Jim

8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Jim, I stretched it a little more than the width of the B pillar and you're right, it does look more balanced. Hell I'm stoked about this project and I'm not even the one building it! :D
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  9. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Look at pictures hell!!!...Around here they drive the biggest badest F550 that ford makes and talk to each other on their nextels...

10. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

those would be menonites, not amish,, same fashion sense, little different religon.

11. I do have one spare Merc woody door - yeah, just one, it and a lower tailgate (which does have the spare tire bracket) were in half of a schoolbus in an old yard I used to frequent, so I grabbed them and stashed them. Couldn't find the car and the old guy who had the place couldn't remember it, so I assume it was long gone. I think it's a left, I haven't even looked at it in way too long. Wood's gone and the bottom's rotted out, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Will a Merc door fit on the Ford body hinge-wise?

13. great .. now ask the guy what was still on the list to go and where they were

14. howco

howco

Well, it musta been the right time and it musta been the right place.......
    Dr. John.

15. hupster

hupster
    from california

Hey Woodienut,
    Thanks for posting this link to your Hub-garage pic's. I'm doing a '51 Ford wagon using a wood kit from Wood N Carr which needs a fair amount of work to fit the car. Wood N Carr only provides a one page sheet of "instructions" with no illustrations. So, your pictures of doing your wood are really helpful.
    Gary

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

17. Here are a few pics to get your thoughts gathered-Mikey

Attached Files:

18. Here's a few more pics for you-Happy New Year and Good Luck! Mikey

Attached Files:

19. bakes

bakes
    from albany NY

That looks amazing - the balance is about perfect. Maybe Ford shouldn't have killed off Mercury but made something that looks like that instead. That'd bring in some showroom traffic!

20. Ridhithomas

Ridhithomas
    from Canada

Great Share I'm working on this project.

21. Very cool, now we need update pics, pleazzze.