Register now to get rid of these ads!

mild 350/th350 with 7.5" 26 spline 10 bolt OK?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loosenutNH, Dec 30, 2010.

1. loosenutNH

loosenutNH

I have this rear end from an '86 monte carlo with the 26 spline 7.5" posi and I'm wondering if it will be strong enough. The 350 is stock (from a van) and I'm using the 350 tranny. Does anyone think it will be too much torque for the rear? I doubt this 350 is putting out more than 200hp...

2. loosenutNH

loosenutNH

someone voted my thread terrible already? Really? WTF?

3. bobscogin

bobscogin

Use it. No problem.

Bob

4. 42 chevy

42 chevy

What is it going in? They probably voted it bad cause they think it is OT. I think it would be OK if you aren't real hard on it. I have the 8.5 10 bolt behind an Olds 350 in my '42 Chevy and I drive it hard. I may break it with my Olds 455, we'll see.

5. loosenutNH

loosenutNH

thanks guys. I'm new to modifying cars (and this site). I appreciate the responses. I think it will be OK too...if I were going more power I'd be skeptical. I'm putting the setup in my '54 chevy 210.

6. squirrel

squirrel

I ran a similar setup in a 39 chevy for several years, no problem...except that one of the axles was bent, which I didn't notice for a few years. Didn't really hurt anything, but it pays to inspect used parts carefully.

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I had a built 377/th400 2000 stall in an 86 monte. I broke alot of parts, but not the rearend. now if you put in a locker and slicks, then you will snap an axle. The lack of traction is your friend.

8. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Ran a 79 malibu with 300hp 350 and 4 gear on the street for years of thrashing. Not 1 problem. Also a knew a guy with a malibu wagon that drag raced weekends at the strip with a 400 ci , never broke it. Preload the diff is the key, NO neutral drops!

9. As long as your not running slicks and have a suspension that hooks up you'll be fine. I ran this same setup in my OT 86 monte in high school and never had any problems, even with multiple burn out shows for my buddies.

10. I'm not a big 10 bolt guy but I have to say thay will take a beating.

We had one in an OT pickup (11 second streeter) that we drove and abused for a year before we went to a 9" Ford. We wanted to see how much abuse it would take for future reference.

We then freshened it (new bearings and seals and one axle gear) and inspected it. The ring is chipped, the pinion seems to be twinsed a bit (we never marked it so we can't say for a fact that it is) and a couple of chips also. The rear never failed. It is now under a 454 powered OT Cutless and has been there for about 10 years. Still hangin' in there.

Like I said I am not a big 10 bolt guy, less the of a 7.5 guy. If I wanted someting I could depend on to take dailey abuse I would be more comfortable with a stronger rear but if I had a 7.5 10 bolt I would run it until I was ready to upgrade. Behind a stock 350/350 combo I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it was going in a dump truck or the like.

11. loosenutNH

loosenutNH

yes! definitely. Before I get it tucked up in there I will tear it down and check it out.

12. loosenutNH

loosenutNH

I figured I am going to use it for a cruiser and not be draggin' light to light or anything....so it looks like everyone agrees if I don't beat it to death, it should hang in there for a while. cool, thanks everybody!

13. t-rod

t-rod

Another yes vote. That's the same basic rear that was stock in my '82 S10 which I put a 350/TH350 in. Many low 15 sec. passes later, never a problem.