Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Poncho vs 55 Chev

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ru5tyNut5, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Ru5tyNut5

Ru5tyNut5

anyone know if the front suspension between the two is interchangable?

2. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Not even close. The Chevy uses a conventional (by today's standards) stamped A-arm, while the Poncho is a multi piece welded affair.

Unless it is a Canadian Poncho, then it's really a Chevy in disguise.

3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Chevy had ball-joints, Pontiac still had kingpins.

4. squirrel

squirrel

doors and windows are the same, the rest of the car is different.

5. Ru5tyNut5

Ru5tyNut5

I'm not looking to interchange parts, the reason I ask is because I'm in the process of bagging my Poncho and I can't find any cups or spring pocket eliminators specifically for the 55 Poncho but I did find a set for the 55 chevy. I'm now assuming they won't work so I'll just make my own, would have been easier to order some if they would have worked. thanks for your help guys!

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Just a question to be answered for info to this thread and not a high jack. Its been to long to remember put I pulled A frames from tri five BOP and they was the same as the Chevys.

7. TwoLaneBlacktop

TwoLaneBlacktop
    from Burien

Why not roll a "Tri-Five" frame under the Poncho and forget all the suspension BS. There are a whole lot more parts available and the car still looks the same from the outside. Tri-five frames are a dime a dozen........

8. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

i'm from the northeast ,i'll take a dozen

9. Well, it's going to look fucked up with the wheel centers at 115" and the wheel arches set for 122" or 124", so that might be why you don't just swap frames.

And yeah, finding a good Chevy frame can be a problem unless you live in a dry climate.

Unless you hit a Canadian Pontiac, not only is nothing the same on the Pontiac, the 55-57 Olds and Buick both have different parts as well. The only place you find some shared parts in 1937-1957 GM suspension is Olds and Pontiac often have a few pieces that will directly interchange. Easiest way to tell if you have an American Pontiac? Look under it, if the frame has a big X-member under the middle so it almost looks like it could be a convertible frame? It's American. It also will have a 115" wheelbase and Chevy 5x4 3/4" pattern wheels.

It wasn't until 1965 that they pretty well standardized frames and suspension components across all GM makes, although some started to share pieces as early as 1961. As late as 1959-60 there are three different frame designs and of those that share the X-frame there are at least four different wheelbases and three different track widths, for instance.

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Why not is because the Pontiacs have a longer wheelbase, different floor pans, just for starters.

Brian

11. The Shocker

The Shocker

As said before ,no the front suspension is totally different .I love the looks and "Strato Streak" motors of the 55-56 Ponchos ,but hate everything else about them.I owned a 56 2 door sedan a few years ago and couldnt hardly keep it on the road as my daily cuz no one had suspension ,brake parts ,etc in stock for it .This was eventually the reason i sold it .The thought of doing the frame swap to a Chevy crossed my mind as well ,but as pointed out the wheel base is way to long .On the other hand i have seen more than one of these Pontiacs with a late frame clip up front and then you gotta a winner for a daily driver.Get one out of a TA or Firebird ,then you can say its still all Pontiac ...

12. 55chieftain

55chieftain

As bad as the spring pockets rust out on these your better off replacing them anyway. Probably a simple job using 1/4" plate with some gussets bolted on or welded to the top of the control arms would work.