Register now to get rid of these ads!

temporary roadster score

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theHIGHLANDER, Dec 27, 2010.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Through some wheelin n dealin, sacrificed build time for myself, and just flat out tenacity I scored this 29 roadster. I don't plan to keep for long unless things change in the next several weeks. this isn't the normal HAMB material but this sexy bitch has potential. Imagine it lower, no running boards, bobbed front fenders, rolled side splash aprons, twin rear spares, some engine mods (not really needed), and some wire wheels with period blackwall Michelins. Maybe an exhaust cutout, exotic leather, minimal accessories, and all black with dark green leather and apple green pinstripes. Can you see it? I can. Enjoy...

Oh I forgot. It's a Packard 640 with 1930 740 coachwork. While not really common, it wasn't unusual for an owner to opt for a new body vs buying a complete new car. No matter how it got there, like I said above, a sexy bitch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

385 CID engine...torquey is an understatement on these.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cast aluminum floor board, and if you look close enough at the rear left of the trans. That black rod standing up from the air compressor that drives off of the trans. Kool shit from the early days, huh?
    [​IMG]

It's dangerous for me to look at something too much. I get ideas that haunt me. Hope ya like it.

2. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Verry classy. I can imagine an Ivy League chick going to school or a well off Lady going shopping in that in the heart of the depression.
    Looks to be in terrific shape. Does it run?

3. flatford39

flatford39

Gorgeous, just what did it take to get it???

4. pitman

pitman

Hmmm... Cranium shift knob :eek:, Cobwebbed grill :rolleyes:? That fenderwell spare just makes it!
    Livin' large there!
    (quite a marque' that one)

5. I think it'd be titties just painted and sporting a new interior. Of course, I think Packards are sharp restored. Great lines and tons of bright work.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice, I could see it mostly stock as a stove but maybe lowered just a bit with a proper set of wires and balloon tires and a really nice two tone paint job that is correct for the car and the era it came from. The car that the guys in town with their cut down A V8 Fords would have wanted to race out on the highway back then.

7. highlander looks like lots of potential to me. Maybe it wouldn't be considered a rod but it could sure pass as a high end sports car. It would be a hoot to cruise. I always wanted a high end sports car.

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Shit, I'd keep that one and drive the piss outta it around town......oh yeah, sorry I forgot....you like to drive your SUV around the metro Detroit area. :rolleyes:

:p:D

9. Harms Way

Harms Way

That puppy just pegged my envy meter !,... Hot Dang ! I'm in love !!!!!!

10. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Hmmmm...

It's got red rims, wide whitewalls, flat black paint (in most places), a 8 cylinder flathead for a engine.

So what's not hot rod about it?

Above all, that's what every hot rod kid would love to have. Maybe even more than a 32 Ford Roadster!!!!!

HellRaiser

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks hun, love you too...

12. grapp

grapp

Hell yes I'd be driving that NOW! lol

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry, I don't "kiss and tell"

Well 'beaner you're on the right track, but not a sports car with a 140" wheelbase:eek: Basically thinking a high-end modified like something Gable or Cooper would have done.

Well, you're absolutely right but I do that all day long. I will say that modified, it would be nothing permanent. Simple nuts and bolts would bring it back home and I even played around with some paper templates that would save any metal from the fenders so they could always return to their OEM shape. It's an important car and modifications should be taken seriously and respect the car's heritage. Why do it at all? Same engine as the famous speedster series from the era. More of a tribute to a time vs a no holds barred modified.

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm a bit older than just about everyone of you , I'm sure, but if that beauty was mine, all I'd do is restore it to it's former glory and drive it, carefully and not in heavy traffic or on the freeway at rush hour!
    Dave

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Nice man, I'd like to see it not be temporary..any chance of that?

I need to pop in and see this up close and personal..soon:cool:

16. lorodz

lorodz

call jay leno he'll buy it probably

17. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

18. Nice catch HIGHLANDER!

Man, I miss Dad's 633... if I were a rich man... :D

19. JThw8

JThw8

It gives me dirty thoughts. Stunning score!

20. SOHC427

SOHC427

Very COOL ride, I don't think I would have the heart, to rod it, though.
    Eric

21. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

Nice score, but with the red wheels it must be a rat rod.........sorry

22. Nice, I got a buddy in Houston that has more than a few packards of that era. Drop me a line if you decide to flip, he could surely help.
    Hans

23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the props and I'm glad you're all enjoying it. These are the cars I work on every day. The latest just got our customer an AACA National award, and I'm proud to say that some of you folks on here worked on that one too (good job Martyn!). It's not so much boring but it would be, to me at least, another restored Packard. That's not a bad thing by any means. Make no mistake that if this car were to go the way I describe it there would be nothing out of line, nothing that would steal from it's heritage. This was a time when Packard was playing with spirited performance models. No kandy paint and tuck n roll here, more like an elegant runabout capable of envious speeds on the dry lakes. Jesse Vincent and Charles Lindberg sped around Packard's massive track in Utica, MI back then. There were others too. Why not tip one's hat to those days and have a car that represents that thinking. Some of you know and have seen what I do, the respect I have for OEM design and style. All of that would be brought to bear and then some.

Then again it's possible she ends up in someone's hands who will simply make it new again and that's never a bad thing. It's got a great start in that direction already.

24. dodgedave68

dodgedave68
    from dallas

HI - My dad likes the car - if you go to sell it - could you let me know. Maybe it will work for both of you. Its a gorgeous car - have to say I wouldnt rod it either.

25. Vintageride

Vintageride

Wow.

I didn't expect to see that.

I am sure you will keep it the way it was. A great basis for whatever you plan on.

It looks like we both have an interest in Packards.

Vintageride

26. volken65

volken65

Damn that's SWEET! looking... sorry man, but i can't see it as you discribe (now that would be a shame). Them where HOTRODS out the door, keep her as is.

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice car, reminds me of the 1928 443 Roadster I had.

28. speedfarm

speedfarm

That has great potential. Please let me know if you intend to part with it.

29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't intend for this to be a "pitch" but anybody that has serious interest and knows what it really is, feel free to PM me. I have my sights on a 34 3W, already left him a deposit.

37kid, yes almost the same car as the 28. Same engine, chassis, some refinements for 29.

As to the mood of "shame" for changing it up, in spirit you're all correct. It should't be "hotrodded" in the sense we all live on this board.

Driving this will give you ideas:
    [​IMG]

Doing this keeps it real and respectful. All cars that I've had a major hand in or did complete:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was mine long ago:
    [​IMG]

Suffice to say that if it were done the same dedication and respect to these cars would be applied to this one.