Register now to get rid of these ads!

EZ Steer by Hot Rod John for 32-34 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rdrew, Dec 28, 2010.

1. rdrew

rdrew

EZ Steer has complete steering box including steering shaft for traditional steer 32-34 ford. It has 18to1 ratio, and can be bought with switch rod for lights. Has anybody out there used this setup and is it everything John says it is?

2. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Is Hot Rod John from Denver, CO area? If so, I know one person that has used it, in fact it was his car that they did a full install article for one of the mags. He has since removed the box because of major problems. If John is not from the Denver area, then it may not be one of his boxes.

3. alchemy

alchemy

I think he's the Ohio guy.

4. no55mad

no55mad

I believe he goes by 'Plain Jain' on Ebay - he is from Ohio. They are boxes that replace the original box. They are new castings and use many parts from the F100's - he uses better bearings etc. He will have the boxes at the Jan Turlock swap. They are now available for the Model A's and 34's.

5. moonlight graham

moonlight graham
    from wyo

The product is E-Z Steer, it is John Kovar's product from Ohio (plane jane on e-bay)

6. rdrew

rdrew

yes, it is John Kovar from Ohio. My question is" has anyone used one of these"?

7. mobile chicane

mobile chicane

seller id is planejane038 and he has a site at ezsteer.net

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Friend of mine in Denver put one (ezsteer) in the 34 Ford coupe he has owned for many years. It was tauted to be the hot deal for old style gennie cars. This same coupe is now running a VW bus steering. That kinda says it all!!!

9. Lauri

Lauri

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

11. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Funny thing is, I've bought from him in the past but won't anymore. I thought everyone thought he was a great guy and it was just me being a jerk. I had one of his cast 32 rear trans mounts break on me and when I complained he gave me a replacement at a discounted price. As I said before he managed to make me feel like I was a jerk. Now I've read this I feel better.

12. Just do a search on his name on here. One horror story after another.

13. I wouldn't do business with this guy,,too many bad deals. HRP

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Funny how the guy stays standing...Or maybe he's been punched alot?

15. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Didn't read every post or anything about him but didn't he build/start/run the V8 shop way back when?

16. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Yes, he was the owner of the V8 shop along with his wife. Honest John in the early days….Step Up or Step Back.

17. 42merc

42merc

I did a lot of business with John thru the '70s when he owned the V8 shop, was good to deal with at that time.
    That was before the then Mrs. Kovar became Mrs, Lobeck.

18. Funny how he goes from an okay guy to a dick bag in 60 seconds...

19. swanwaco32

swanwaco32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stay Away!! Bad News!!!

20. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have read plenty of bad press about this box but my friend has one. It was in his wife's '28 stock RPU. It was unsafely loose and we pulled it out. Upon inspection, there does not appear to be any "junk" parts inside or wear. So my question is how to fix it. There was no adjustment to get the "high spot". Is the case machined improperly? Whats going on? Anybody know? Thanks.

21. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

The Kovar EZ Steer steering box was just very poorly made right from the get go. Your friend is very fortunate not to have been involved in some kind of traffic accident because that steering box could have failed at any time. I made the mistake of purchasing one of these steering boxes and we never even got my 29 coupe on 32 rails out of the shop before the steering box broke. ( probably very lucky for me). I really don't think there is any real kind of adjustment on the EZ Steer box. There have been guys that have sent their steering boxes back to John Kovar for repair because of very excessive play and when the steering box was returned after the so called repair was made, the steering box was opened up only to find that Kovar had jammed a few washers in there in an attempt to take up some of the free play. In my opinion John Kovar is a absolute crook and is only interested in paper that has dead Presidents on it. Anyone selling a product that knows full well that said product is faulty and dangerous and still tries to sell that product with that knowledge is about as low as you can get. With the speed that today's cars are going, safety is a very important factor on today's roads. This steering box isn't safe. I wouldn't attempt to try and repair it as it belongs in a garbage dumpster!

22. I have heard of the adjustment problem but never a failure. What broke? Not in the market to buy one, just curious.

Charlie Stephens

23. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

We had the coupe inside the shop and the installation of the EZ Steer had just been completed; and we were going to go out on the main road to test drive the unit. In order to exit through the big rollup door in the shop a hard right turn had to be made and right then and there a loud thump came from the steering box and the steering wheel would go from left to right without moving the front wheels at all. The steering box was removed from the car and when you turned the steering shaft the pitman arm would just go round and round and round and round. We were so disgusted that we didn't even open up the box. You kind of know when something is just plain junk! There was a lot of play in the steering and we just assumed the worm gear inside had let go.

24. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Just bringing this back up.

See post #22

Has anyone else opened one up for a post-mortem? Just looked inside this one but did not measure anything.