Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-52 New Old Style Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.B., Dec 12, 2010.

1. 00 MACK

00 MACK

52 Mercs on a 41 Ford ? Good heavens, This thing is high tech!

2. 38pickup

38pickup

I want to thank J.B., Rikster and everyone that has posted on this thread. This thread reminds me why I joined the HAMB in the first place. Seeing all of the pictures, and reading the posts has made my week. Thank You!

3. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

Masterson's 51 Chevrolet gotta belong here?

Attached Files:

EVL401 and ratty_aussie like this.
  4. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

modern driveline (trans)

5. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As for the suspension mods on some of these cars, the way I see it, these cars are just like friends. What good are they unless you can use them once in awhile?LOL

6. chrisman

chrisman

You guys are funny. If I remember correctly, J.B. said it was a plus if the cars had correct drivetrain and suspension, not that we should go medieval on any car that's running modern stuff in places we can't see. Jon Fisher got the best '36 coupe ever built, in my opinion. He runs a 350 smallblock, TH 350 trans and an 8-inch rear in it. Do we need to take it off the list now?

Our image of what's a correct '48-'52 era custom car is based on a handful of cars built by the Ayalas, the Barrises and a few others. We try to duplicate the stuff that worked, and discard the stuff that didn't work, because every builder back then didn't show restraint and every car surely wasn't as nice as the best examples in posts #127-128. So using the styling cues that worked can very well be called a formula, just like GlassguyOC said. I hardly ever see a single modification on these modern builds that wasn't made back then, very few are trying to come up with something new that could have been done back in the days. Personally, I totally dig the formula. My '41 coupe will have a cut down '48 Caddy grille, flipper hub caps on 16" wheels and '41 Packard tail lights, no steering away from the concept anywhere. That's my choice, just like most of us that post on this thread. This isn't invention or art, it's craft. We are upholding a tradition.

7. fat141

fat141

POST 309
    Therefore the Chevy above is not at all in this era. Sidepipes, sunvisor, radial tires, fishtail exhaust pipes etc. Nice car, but not really what we are looking for. Thanks, though![/QUOTE]

Thanks for not being hard on me :)
    Rod

8. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I will have to let it out here....My Victoria will have a SBC in it for mostly financial reasons and who is to say it will run another mill later. Let the bashing begin I can take it.....I can say that visually mine will be hopefully spot on era.

9. Curt Six

Curt Six

Pardon the crappy cell-phone-pics-of-my-Hop-Up photos. These were from Annual #3 if you want to go back and see better shots. The '35 is probably a little bit earlier than the era we're talking about here, but the '36 roadster and '39 vert are pretty much dead on. I love these cars (and if anyone has any better shots, post 'em up)...but dropping the tail of the '36 another inch or two would make it even more perfect!

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  10. Curt Six

Curt Six

Here you go...if the picture's going to be crappy quality, at least it can be right-side-up, right?

Attached Files:

11. Never fear Skip!

My project will have a SBF. (A) I have one and a C4 and (B) I can't afford to buy and build anything else. Yes, I have looked into it.

Of course if anyone committed enough to the cause wants to fund a more period correct drivetrain I would welcome it.

12. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

C'mon Royal...your house is "period" correct. You even had a period correct Christmas!!!:p

Well, a little later period.

13. I would find it hard to take this off the list.John doesn't lay frame with it,the stance is perfect all the time.I guess if you are really talking period inside and out then it isn't on the list but the only thing I think worthy of a complain is the smallblock not so much the suspension since you really dont see it.Either way .... this car is heavy !!!!!!!!!!

14. I think what this thread really shows is very few true period correct customs are being built when all things are taken into consideration. Guys like Jeff really are a rare breed that need to be commended or maybe commited:D:D.

15. Thanks K13:D, I think your second one (commited) is what needs to happen to me after this experience.Who knows maybe I have been all wrong to try to build a car the way they were built back then.There has been a couple guys tell me "Oh you just wait,you will be wanting a full blown A.C., power windows,electric seats etc... soon enough" They say the reason I did my car this way is because im still (kind of ) young and dont care about modern luxuries yet. Who knows maybe they are right but I doubt it.

16. HAHA I doubt it too. I can't imagine you crusing a custom with A/C and electric seats maybe modern fuel injection as well. LOL

17. [​IMG]
    This car keeps me up late at night,very late,cant stop thinking about it.

18. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Look out Bragg! Here's my man Chris Russbach's 41. LOL No late model headlights here ! Seriously, This is a good friend of mines and I'm consulting on how to do a 1960 style North Jersey chopped 41 Ford ! Its got the perfect roof for just that! You guys are gonna love it..... gaudy upholstry, louvered hood, a blotchy candy job with about a mile of Ivory striping from yours truly! To hell with your 552's. J.C Whitney dummy spots will do fine! Its got a high windin small block on it that's gonna end up spinning the 56 Olds hubcaps into the bushes! (Anyone got a set?) The exhaust is a secret.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
    EVL401 likes this.
  20. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Curt Six, sorry about my mistake when mixing up the Kennedy built car and Huth's. :eek:

21. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Too bad it's just a photoshop fantasy... Maybe someday... :)

22. Curt Six

Curt Six

You're fired. :)

23. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

OK, boss... :D

24. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

i thought i read that this car had a small block in it. if thats the case then this car shouldn't be on he. to me it should be on here, but to the hardcore purist it shouldn't.

i dont se an issue with running a different motor in these cars. i took my 235 out of my 51 chevy and put in a 283. im not planning on opening up the hood at a show. my reason for changing the motor was easy. if im out of town and the water pump breaks on the 235. im screwed. i did my research. every auto store i called didn't have one and could get it like 2 days. thats my reasoning.

bags. well i lost my way years ago and bagged my car. yes it lays frame. it was the thing to do then and still is. i wanted something mean looking. well im in the process of removing them and getting a stance on the car. im tired of having trouble with the bags system leaking.

when i see a period correct car. i just drool. like Jeffs mercury is BEAUTIFUL!!

if i see a car with all the right things on the outside and in the interior then ill look long and hard at them. i don't look down at them cause they my be bagged,different motor, or mustang ll IFS.

here is a photo of mine. its going to the media blaster in a week and the bags are coming out.

by the way. my 41 chevy in the back ground will be done as close to period correct when the 51 is done.

Attached Files:

25. Curt Six

Curt Six

I realize that is a photoshop, but is that the car that Kustom7777 was working on? I recall hearing that car went overseas, but didn't know the whole story. Is the new owner making any progress? That was a beautiful car, and that photoshop version kicks ass.

26. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

im also glad that J.B. started this thread. the HAMB has gotten a little sickly. with all these mid 60s cars and everyone jumping on the gasser band wagon.

THANK YOU J.B.!!! I NEEDED A GOOD THREAD LIKE THIS!!

27. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Agree!
    This is a real interesting thread BUT it would be nice with some info (for us that love this style but dont know it all) aboute the small things that makes a car period perfect.

28. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

If you read my first post, then this sentence is of no meaning. :)

I personally think it is nicer with vintage motors, modified or not, in vintage cars. And therefore I think it is a plus if it is. But it is absolutely no "rule" in this thread. Hell, then we would have to take off most pics so far, ha ha... :D

Hey, mr John 79.
    Is that you, Jompa? If you read the posts in this thread, then you will find what you are asking for. No time for me to sum it all up everytime someone asks.. :p

29. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

what year did the small block chevy come out 55, 283, 327 302, 307, 350 400 who cares put a small block in it they fit almost every thing and drive the shit out of it customs should have flowing lines and the hood closed. IMO great thread

30. I always learn something from threads like this, I look forward to more info sharing.

For example, did any of the older cars run aftermarket "custom" exhaust tips like those square ones I've seen on eBay... the ones that bolt to the underside of the bumper? Or are those a little later?

How about interiors? What was the rule of thumb back then? Selfishly let me ask, if you had a very dark blue almost black car, would you probably do a white interiors with black or blue accents? Any examples?