Register now to get rid of these ads!

Going to UN-r*t the Rod,27 chrysler rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rottenleonard, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

On my machine, option+8 gives a (I'm guessing) bullet point symbol:

• ABC123

Funny how many different combos there seems to be.

-KK

2. Django

Django
    from Chicago

You're right! Sorry, I should have typed option+shift+8. °

3. Dude
    On the fan -- Just use studs in the pump and studs in the fan. Mount the fan on the assemble then mount the assembly to the pump. Kinda like a clutch fan assembly.

4. spanky

spanky

I really like the changes ,beautiful metatwork .

5. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

awesome work on the car i dig the radiator shroud , nice

6. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

I really like what you have done!!!! My only suggestion is to put a model A front cross member in and de Z the front a few inches but hey it is just one mans opinion. Other than that it is bitchin!!!!!

7. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

It doesn't look like a rat rod to me... It just kind of looks like an unfinished project.

But now... It looks really good. Lovin the grille.

8. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

Rob! Looks good! You know, somebody with your abilities; should be able to make the lower trim piece for that grill... A low pressure 1 time use hand carved buck should do it!
    I will donate some old crunched starliner trim to see that through!

9. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Lookin killer!! YOu have some great skills and vision for the finished product. You make it possible for regular guys to see what they can do at home, what an inspiration!!!! I'm diggin the whole thing. Can't wait for more pics.

10. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Wow last update was in june..... that was about a three week long half a year that went by:eek:
    I havent really done much fabrication to the car since the last update, I had solved the fan shroud problem by spreading the frame horns slightly(kind of a barbaric method) then slapped everything back together to go to a local car show at a used car lot in august, and then shoved the car in the corner while working on some other projects.

So here is some updated pictures before I get back to work on it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

when driving the car if the rf tire needed to drive over something you could see it move independantly of the left tire I have always suspected that the heated and lowered stock steering arms were to blame so I'm going to start there.
    I have the car down at work right now and have ordered some forged Magnum dropped steering arms.
    [​IMG]

Also the interior is ready for some sprucing up, The plan is to ditch the $8.95 army surplus seats for some custom built in bomber style aluminum seat backs and real padded cushions(now that will be up town). as well as aluminum door panels and kick panels(should be a nice place to get a tan:D
    [​IMG]

It will be a little slow for a while as I'm finishing a remodel project in the house but we will get there:p
    Robert

11. chaddilac

chaddilac

Looks cool to me!!!

12. Gigantor

Gigantor

Wow- what a transformation! Great job.

13. Nice morph of the cool Chrys-low!!!!

14. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Excellent work. I hadnt seen this thread before. Enjoyed reading the whole thing.

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That Nailhead is gonna need more carb than that.... :rolleyes:

Ya gonna do a deck lid? It would take it to the next level real quick.

16. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Very cool. This car is shaping up nicely. You're fighting the good fight, keep at it!

17. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I have a rebuilt 4bbl that i keep threatening to put on it just to see what it could do, but even with the two 94's and 2.50 posi it is scary fast and can get out of hand pretty easy. I always described driving it as an overpowered go cart.

The deck lid is gonna be cool. I'm in the finishing stages of building a large louver press that will punch the old style louvers, once that is done I'll build an bare aluminum trunk lid filled with louvers that will hinge just behind the fuel tank.

Thanks all for the comments, makes great motivation to get through the rest of the build

Robert

18. 85930tudor

85930tudor

you make a retired a/c delco tech like me so proud!!!!! keep up the good work on the resurection rod!!!!!!

19. kingpins

kingpins

nice build!!!!not crazy about the front tires but the rest is awesome!!!!zmans right that deck lid with your louvers is gonna give it life. very nice job

20. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Very nice job on tramsforming your rod! I really like how you make all of your tools to complete the sheet metal work. Some day I'd like to be at that point as well! Again nice job on the transformation!

21. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

Looks amazing! I would get those seats covered in metal flake vinyl, that would be killer!!!

22. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Yea I hear you on the front tires, those are some freebees from a Vee-dub I like the size but not so much the tires. For looks I'd like to have bias ply's, but i have had two different sets on it and I'm tired of the white knuckle handling at anything over 70MPH, I'm kind of leaning towards some mickey thompson sportsman tires, or something along those lines, but I'm open to ideas and pictures.

Robert

23. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

Thanks for the post! I have an Essex coupe, and the top bolts on at the rear. I have thought about turning it into an open car by removing that.
    I would have to make new doors also.you make it look so easy!;)
    I also wondered how it would look with the fixed vertical windshield.
    Your photos answered a lot ofmy questions.
    thanks again!

24. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I couldn't find a steering wheel that I liked (for the price anyways) so I ground out the cracks and filled with epoxy and painted satin black then taped off and painted the ribbs body color.
    [​IMG]
    I like the wheel o.k now but the 56 chev pickup steering wheel horn cap has a bowtie on it and that won't do at all. But I'm drawing a blank for an idea for a horn cap.

I had liked this one but it is about an inch too small in diameter
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...tZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I love some ideas
    Thanks Robert

25. I just read the whole damned thread. I don't know how I missed it before. What an awesome transformation! Great work. I'm looking forward to more updates. Keep us posted.

26. Looking very good, please do yourself a favor and snip a pie shaped cut out of the backside of the windshield frame and lay it back just slightly. This build is great, nice to see it coming along so well.... Subscribed!

27. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I would accept the hard top wouldn't fit any more, can't have it all I guess

28. Nice hot rod!
    You sure did a great job reforming that bad boy.

29. You're doing a great job- keep it up! One idea would be to find a '27 Chrysler radiator shell. They look great and would take away the last gasp of "rat" in your build.

30. My un-requested, unimportant hijack 2c is they look cool! If he can't afford T&R, -keep 'em.

Hot little car, you must be itchy to try it!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010