Register now to get rid of these ads!

Homemade 125" FED Twin-turbo SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Mitchell, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Jim Mitchell

Jim Mitchell
    from Maine

Hello everyone. This is my latest project, its a 125'' wheelbase front engine dragster. I never was a big fan of the later '60s 180''+ wheelbase dragsters, I've allways like the shorter ones from '63-'65ish. They just look too cool and I imagine they are quite a handful to drive which is what I like.​
    The motor is a run of the mill 355 Chev with ported iron heads, a mild hyd flat cam and I will be using a pair T3/T4 .63/.50 turbos. I have had pretty good luck with these units in my 9 second door car with a stock bottom end Ford 302. This setup will make around 700HP and 650-700 ft lbs torque which should really move this little FED.
    The trans is a shorty powerglide with a transbrake and good internals. The main frame is made from 3'' by 2'' .120'' wall rec tube. Its a bit out of the ordinary but I have seen a few early '60s FEDs made out of similar tube and they look ok to me. I mainly did it this way to save alot of time and money, this is a very low buck project.
    The rearend is an Olds/Pontiac 9.3'' with a spool and 4.56 gears. Here are a few pictures of my progress. Please let me know what you dont like about it or what is an eyesore for a FED. Im 27 so I was never around when these things were big in the drag world, I would love to keep this as period correct as possible without breaking the bank. I know a pair of turbos are not gonna look right on here but I am trying to mount them in a way thats slightly out of the usual for a twin setup.

2. Jim Mitchell

Jim Mitchell
    from Maine

3. Jim Mitchell

Jim Mitchell
    from Maine

4. Jim Mitchell

Jim Mitchell
    from Maine

5. Jim Mitchell

Jim Mitchell
    from Maine

6. Jim Mitchell

Jim Mitchell
    from Maine

7. Jim Mitchell

Jim Mitchell
    from Maine

8. Jim Mitchell

Jim Mitchell
    from Maine

Since the turbos and wastegates will be out in the open, I opted for a non polished compressor housing on the turbos so its left in cast finish. I dont have the turbos in a picture yet. I also ordered the wastegates in an anodized gold color which Im hoping will look ok. I will be building a set of 1 3/4'' tube equal length turbo headers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

man, some guys have all the fun

10. Keep at it. Looks good so far.
    Don

11. 296moon

296moon
    from england

I like the rails, there were quite a alot built with square tube

12. HotRod31

HotRod31

Looks good so far, I also like the short wheel base diggers. I have been thinkin of a build myself, what are your plans for the body?

Later, Mark

13. Jim Mitchell

Jim Mitchell
    from Maine

Thanks, I was planning on building a very '59-'60ish short body. I like these very simple looking bodys. Something similar to these pictures. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Jim Mitchell

Jim Mitchell
    from Maine

Thanks for looking!

15. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Bitchin!

1) i'm not sure what 27 has to do with anything, but if you are 27 then you're a damn genius.

2) What is the exact size of the rear tires?

3) Also, can i bother you with more detailed pics of how you mounted the rear to the frame?

16. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

Looking good.

17. willymakeit

willymakeit

Keep us posted.

18. 150J/F

150J/F

Glad to see you building neat cars @ 27 instead of playing video games all day.
    With the motor out 30" or so...leave room up front for some bolt-on weight. Make
    sure the back part is safe. Then have some fun.

19. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I like it. But with the rectangular frame, I think it would look even better with a '23 T roadster body on it -- modified roadster style.

20. really cool - that's going to be insane!

21. alterbob

alterbob
    from Butler,Pa.

Only thing I may see is ride height? What air is the the tires now, that could change alot . Sorry trying not to be crytical . Good luck Bob

22. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

I remember in the early-'70's, seeing
    some Chevrolet engineering pics and
    copies of dyno sheets - circa 1962-63,
    of an experimental twin-turbo 283.
    The engine was internally stock and
    used a Rochester fuel injection unit
    with a pair of Corvair turbos mounted
    on a pair of stock cast iron "Rams
    Head
    " exhaust manifolds. For chassis
    clearance with the turbos, the manifolds
    were swapped side for side and mounted
    'upside down', so that the outlets faced up,
    with the turbos mounted on the top. On
    the dyno, it made an even 500 hp on 10
    lbs. boost at 5000 rpm. Not too shabby for
    a little 283 back then, or now even,
    especially considering it was only making
    10 lbs. boost and only turning 5000 rpm
    - and that it was put together with 'off the
    shelf' GM parts.

Mart3406
    =======================

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  23. This could be really cool. I know your a little farther along and it might be a pain at this time but may I suggest tapering the the frame rails from the motor forward. I think it would give it a cool look. Just a little note to you. The anodized pieces can be sandblasted and will give it a little more of a vintage look. Have fun.

24. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

This should get you going.

Attached Files:

25. Jim Mitchell

Jim Mitchell
    from Maine

#1 Hehehehe, I have been called many things but never a ''genius''.
    #2 The rear tires are there for mock up but I might use them a few times to see if they have any life left in them. They are 33"-11.0"-15" and mounted on 10'' wide rims.
    #3 Yes, I will take some pictures tonight and post them up.

26. Jim Mitchell

Jim Mitchell
    from Maine

The motor plate is out 32 1/2" from the axle C/L. I was gonna make some mounts for the weight bars that I have here which total I think 80 lbs. I was planning to mount my 40 lbs battery as far forward as possible too. I plan to use a wheelie bar also, I have one left over from another project.

27. Jim Mitchell

Jim Mitchell
    from Maine

Im not totally set on any body and I have considered building around a real body but I really do love the early shorty bodys and am still leaning toward that. Thats still a couple months down the road.

28. Jim Mitchell

Jim Mitchell
    from Maine

Critical is exactly what I want. I've never built a FED before and I posted these pictures so you knowledgable guys could help steer me in the right direction. The tires currently have 8 pounds in them, which is almost double what they will probably require.

29. Jim Mitchell

Jim Mitchell
    from Maine

Thats awesome! It makes me feel better about doing this. I love nostalgia drag stuff and Im a big turbo fanatic so I wanted to blend them together. Do you know of any pictures of that twin turbo 283?

30. Jim Mitchell

Jim Mitchell
    from Maine

I love this picture. It looks to be a later style chassis, maybe '69-'70?? Its hard to see but it looks like there is only 1 wastegate and its shared by both banks. If thats the case its definately different.