Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Corvette Roadster Barn Find! New Gasser Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod28AR, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Putting a 392 in a real fuelie Vette "just because you have it" sounds like a bad idea all around. Just sayin'

2. classicfins

classicfins

Sounds good to me! I'm running a 340 mopar in my '71 Vega wagon just because I had it laying in the shop and nothing to put it in. Really gets some attention when you pop the hood. lol

3. How about a mild, mid-60's road racer? Small block with three deuces, single hoop roll bar, white circles with numbers painted on, side pipes... A typical 60's weekend racer.

-Dean

4. I say do it. It's just another Corvette. They made lots of them. I have a completly rebuilt Torqueflite and adapter kit that I would trade for that 4 speed. I need that 4 speed. PM me if interested.

5. Looking at the pics, the red line is HIGH 6,500. This is a High Horse Power Vette, if that's the stock tach.

6. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

A period 350hp 327 small-block (CHEAP!!!) would be just as potent and way easier to drop in and run. Throw something interesting like a Drag-Star or Edelbrock X-1 on it and that would be one bad ride instead of a modified orphan.

7. No build sheet in 1964.

If this car is truly a Fuel Injected '64 vette, it has a ton of worth to a Vette collector. My $0.02 is have a vette guy give you an apprasial and do a gasser with a Falcon, Nova, 60's Mopar or find a low Horse Power Mid year vette.

8. They only produced 1,325 Fuel Injected vettes in 1964. My guess less than half convertible. This is not "just another vette".

9. SkumbagKustoms

SkumbagKustoms

Whichever route you end up taking on this thing, I look forward to seeing it around on the streets or at some shows...

10. Yup it is, 80 PSI Oil Press gauge too.
    -Dean

Attached Files:

11. kbuhagiar

kbuhagiar

As 61 cad already mentioned, Chevy didn't put build sheets in Corvettes until the 1967 model year.

I agree with the notion that the car may be worth semi-stupid money to someone looking to put together a fuelie Corvette.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  12. If that car is factory Triple Black, makes it worth even more to a Vette guy.

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I like the hemi idea, especially since you already have it. I'd say go for it. Chevy powered 1964 Corvettes are so '60s. :D

14. I would agree ...................... To put this in some type of perspective.......... A Fuel Injected Vette in 1964 is what a 426 Hemi Cuda would be in 1971.

15. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

What was the engine of choice during mid-60's drag racing??? The 392 Hemi.
    If ya already got it, use it. Fuck putting a Chevy engine back in it.....
    Hemi's make any car better.....

Mitchell de Moor likes this.
  16. kbuhagiar

kbuhagiar

Yeah, but maybe a better way to collectively backhand the NCRS crowd would be to sell the carcass at a stupid price to a Vette-head wannabe and then use the funds to build a gasser project.

17. Only car I owned that gained value for just "leaving it alone" Third Owner, 1965 Corvette Coupe, 327-365 (had orginial motor, but it was wiped, was running a Target Master 350 -190) Nassau Blue with Nassau Blue Interior, Side Pipes. Bought the car in 1986 for $7,500 put a $1,500 paint job (back to factory color) and sold the car in 2004 for $28,000.

Yeah ............... Screw those purist!

18. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

I would concur with 3Kids, but I'm one that has always had to keep finances a priority.

It's like this.....if you built a model Corvette with a hemi stuffed in it when you were a kid, and have always held this dear to your heart as your dream car and money is not a factor.....yeah, it's your car, go for the dream.

But, I don't get that here. It seems more like..... I got a good deal on this thing, don't really have the cash to fix it right, have a hemi it could stuff in it and maybe make a corvetty freaky kinda thing that may be kinda fun. If that's the way it is, I say ABORT! ABORT NOW!

The way I look at it, I see a way for someone with the skills to pocket an easy $50-75K in the next 6 months.

19. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

all the ideas are kool build it the way you want , BUT if you want i have a complete 327 unshure on bottom end odd stampings but its a 817 casting maybe a dealer replacement but the heads and intake are 1964 ,461's with a 1964 winters aluminum intake that my bud pulled from a 64 vette,more than 30 years ago ,id probably let go,i got so much id been saving for something [you know how that goes] let me know . but that hemi build sounds really kool !!!!!!

20. Put the Hemi in a 30's Ford and the Vette on Ebay!

21. storm king

storm king

I think its a convertable, not a roadster.
    If it's good enough to make a gasser, its good enough to restore.
    Its yours, do what you will.
    A hemi trumps any other engine in any car. (With the possible exception of a cammer in a Ford bodied car)

22. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Look on the STL social group watch the old drag racing footage posted of alton there is a mid year convertible car supposedly a BBC, tunnel ram, 2x4s, muncie and an axle getting it on!!!! that thing is BOSS!!!!!

23. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

Your better off budget wise to do what you want. Last fuelie we did I think just the restored units themselves MINUS the intake fetch 3-5k. Im assuming its missing the fuelie unit?? To get it back to NCRS standards, which is what you would need to do to get top dollar, expect to spend a lot of cash. Enough to buy a house in these parts. The right buyer would give you a good amount for just your car as is. Then you can get something thats cooler then the vette. I work on these cars everyday and there are a lot of other cool cars out there worth hacking up.

24. If it does not have the original FI unit and motor then yes it is just another Corvette. Are not you guys sticklers for authenticity? When he puts it back to original specs it will not be a matching car will it? I say make it into a badass MF'er and screw that original stuff. You can't put a price on cool. You either have it or you don't. I wouldn't walk across the street to look at a numbers matching Corvette. But I bet a whole busload of us traditional hotrod guys would be falling all over a badass Hemi Corvette with a nosebleed attitude if built properly. Just my 3 cent again. Let me know if ya need that 727 I have, I am serious about the trade.

25. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

I'd also say do what you want to do, it's your car. The hemi would be cool and could always be undone if someone wanted the car more than you. I'd probably not go the gasser route with the front axle either, but that's just me. I'd love to find one of these sitting somewhere but that is highly unlikely. LOL

26. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Honestly, from the sound of what some of these guys are saying about this being a rare big bucks vette, I would hafta test the water to see what it would bring.
    Hey, It might fetch enough to buy a less rare one like it, thats already built close to the way you want it.

27. kbuhagiar

kbuhagiar

Exactly.

28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I remember years ago some people being freaked out by a Cammer in a '55 T-Bird, but having seen a couple they looked pretty cool and were brutally fast. Drop the hemi in.

29. Toner283

Toner283

I definitely like the idea of hot rodding a Vette to screw with the restorers but in this case it may be a better idea to sell this one simply due to the economics of the situation. If it is worth big bucks unrestored and as is, maybe sell it & buy a non-FI 64 with an older restoration on it to tear apart and modify. That way the best of both worlds. Money in your pocket and a modified Vette in the garage. Plus, with an older already been restored car, you should not have to track down many (any?) of the little parts & pieces to make it a decent car. With this one you probably have $8-10,000 worth of body work to bring it back to nice before you start to modify it.

Please note that I am not saying don't modify a Vette, just that monetarily it may make sense not to modify this particular Vette.

And a HEMI sounds like a great idea no matter what.

30. Hemi- cut that bitch