Register now to get rid of these ads!

New class for Bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Warner, Dec 4, 2010.

1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

At least you can run a 60 in VMOT or what ever it is. Those are cute little cars

2. Good input based on EXPERIENCE Bobby! Thanks.

3. firingorder1

firingorder1

"Getting rid of all motorcycles". Could the SCTA afford financially to get rid of the bikes? This year there was 146 pre-entered bikes. At $400 an entry thats $58,400. Throw in late entries and class changes and you are up around $60,000 or maybe a bit more. A lotta loot to throw away. Get rid of cars under 150? Another big financial loss? Do all that nd the entry fee would probably have to go to $2500 (A figure pulled form the air. Don't jump all over me). If the entry fee went to four figures how many more entries would be lost? The SCTA would disappear and all that would be left would be BUB and they don't allow cars. Sorry there is the Shootout.

4. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Rich, That's true. But did you see that little bellytank at Speedweek runnin a v860? It was cool to see someone doin it regardless.

And don't worry Firingorder 1, nobody is getting rid of motorcycles..... I'm just repeating drunken debate heard around the campfire.

5. plan9

plan9

i know it was just people discussing... but it would be interesting to hear both sides of the argument for motorcycles. no idea how it could be a good thing to shit can a large portion a SCTA/BNI event.

ps - hey bobby, gonna be at your shop anytime this week? ;);):D:D

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The motorcycles are not going away. To many of them in SoCal. I still think the XO and XF classes should be split into a F-D-E-C and maybe even a B using the same cubic inch breaks as all the other cars. Who wants to run a 21 stud flathead or a 60 against 304 inch motors? Or a Plymouth flathead six against a 320 inch GMC? But I don't guess that will ever happen either.

7. firingorder1

firingorder1

Nope. The red headed step children are here to stay.

8. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

First may I say happy holidays to all.

Secondly I'd like to say I read 95% of all posts in this thread, and it seems as though it drifted off topic.

Thirdly I'd like to give my perspective on this matter.

I'm building a 29 A coupe on a 109" wheelbase, and it seems a's though the only class it fits into is XO/VGCC, due to the wheelbase. It is unchopped, so needs a belly pan to fit into that class. So I know where the Kieth is coming from.

Now my 2c worth.

Why not approach the SCTA to allow the running of the vintage V8's a's a time only class. Then the fastest speed each engine type within the proposed class reaches gets a plaque and the speed is noted within the next year's record book, and on the website. An unofficial record is noted, everyone has a record of it, and others know what they need to aim for.

These cars run within existing classes, but are competitive within their own right.

9. I agree! Wait, dont wanna start shit, we are doing a 235:D

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Stovebolt: You can run them now in TO. Every body that runs gets a dash plaque now. Fastest speed for each engine type? Who is going to cert. these engines? Who makes up the rules for these engines? How many new unofficial records will need to be entered into the record book? This is turning into a can of worms. Other people have done just what has been proposed. Make up their own rules. Keep their own records. Leave the BNI/SCTA do what they are doing as well as they can. Look to the 36hp Challenge. Or the Hydrogen challenge. Look at the Hop Up Magazine 100mph club. Even the 200mph club. They all make up the rules they want to run under and decide who won between them. SCTA/BNI provides the safety inspection and infrastructure necessary to run a safe and well managed meet. Now it's up to you if you want something special to satisfy your interests.

11. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Good points in what you wrote, Rich.

The 200 mph club gets much recognition from the SCTA, lookmat the coverage in the bonneville programs, so why can't recognition for the fastest in each engine category be posted in a listing like on the website.

As far as checking out the engines - hey it's a club thing - not racing for pink slips ;) afterall who check out C.I. For the hopup 100 mph?

12. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Upon further reflection, another reason for publishing the fastest speeds is to encourage others to enter vehicles into this class of racing.

Hopup 100 mph don't get published, but simply achieving 100 mph, and be recognized with club membership s an achievement within itself- afterall making sufficient horsepower to achieve 100 mph AND be acknowledged gor it CAN be enough for some people.

That's all I will contribute to the topic. I don't want to get bogged down on semantics that I have no way of overcoming

13. wicked willys

wicked willys
    from ne ohio

After reading this thread. I think its a cool idea to have early ohv 8's run. With that said though I don't think it would be right to eliminate a brand because of a performance advantage. An early sbc or hemi is just as fitting as a nailhead or y-block. If there is a performance advantage, that's racing. But perhaps there is a way to break it up to make people happy but include everyone. Not trying to be combative, I just get annoyed when people want to exclude sbc or hemi.

14. firingorder1

firingorder1

I thought the idea of the new class was to give early V-8s a class where they could be competitive. If SBCs and Hemis would render them uncompetitive as they are now whats the point of a new class?

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Exactly. Hemis and SBC engines have enough classes to run in now. If you allowed them in a "Classic OHV V8" group what would be the point? So the Rolling Bones idea was for a "Drive it to the salt" "Classic OHV V8" Early body style class. That seems a little to restrictive and aimed at a very small number of people. And a car from SLC would sure have a big advantage over a car from Fairbanks. My offer to spring for a nice trophy still stands for the Pre '59 or specialty body Classic OHV V8 fastest car. If at least 5 cars show interest and 3 or 4 of them show up. I like older OHV V8s. That's why I have a Packard V8 in my race car. I don't need a class to have fun. So if anyone actually wants to do this PM me and we will try to work out some semblance of rules acceptable to at least a few people.

16. I do find it funny folks are afraid of a little 265 Chevy ;)

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Once again the point of things is that at Bonneville the rules clearly state that any SBC is a SBC. If you trade your 265 for a Bow Tie 425 that is not an engine swap. So if you let in the destroker 258 inch SBC you let in the 406 and up. PS my old turbo 258 sold to Bob Dalton went 307 in his 'liner. Not to shabby and not in the Stude 259 class. Anyway, I have made my offer. So far no one has stepped up. Is this a debating web site or a car building site?

18. Just discussing until we all get off work and can go to the garage!

Besides, I am past this and building the lakester. A real purpose built racecar, it just feels like the way to go for me. :)

19. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Whaddaya really think Rich?!;):D:D

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I really think allowing SBCs into the group would negate the purpose of having it. I also think a lakester could have a Classic OHV V8 and qualify for this group if someone really was interested. So far it's me with the Pack and the Bones car with the Y block. And there is that yellow pickup with a Y block. How fast did the Bones car go? Maybe I can just go out and buy myself a trophy.

21. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Rich, I really think you've got a good idea there, and that it's something that would grow quickly.

From all the replies, and opinions voiced here, I'm a little surprised that no one is stepping up and taking you up on your offer!

22. Well, the no 265 thing rules out my Tudor and I wanted to build a real race dedicated car anyway. The Tudor is still getting a cage, enough to be safe on the strip.

23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

What's going in the lakester?

24. XO class. Inline Stovebolt. 6inarow, Tom and myself are hatching a plan.

25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It will be fun I am sure. 235 is giving away 90 cubic inches. Do me a favor and make it a couple inches longer than it needs to be. A GMC is two inches longer than a Chevy. Not sure about Buicks and Hudsons.

26. But the glass is half full! Thats 90 inches of growing room! Will make sure a Jimmy fits as well;)

27. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Tman and Tom

If you were to find a 261, and there is one for sale in the classifieds here, bore it 155 thou, stroke it using 292 rods, and you have 302 cubes.
    I'd donate a set of .155" up Jahns pop-up pistons, just to see them back at bonneville

28. Thanks for the offer. Tom is away through the holiday, we will talk when he is back. He has a couple engines to choose from. We want to get the car built and shookdown. That would allow time to build a bigger mill like you suggest.:)

29. Well, Kieth went out and basically did this with his coupe last August. Shall we continue the debate? ;)

30. B Lawrence

B Lawrence
    from Ham.

So is there a new class for a stock crate 350 motor in a 32 -ford or what ever?