Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Corvette Roadster Barn Find! New Gasser Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod28AR, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Pasta

Pasta

Nice Vette!
    What is the guy doing with that 55 (?) Chevy in the next stall??

George

2. That one's mine, "Locomotion". It basically just lives there haha. Took it out to one show here in October.
    -Dean

Attached Files:

Mitchell de Moor likes this.
  3. kispin360

kispin360

Be really different and install a built, blown, injected flathead with a 5 speed stick shift. You'd shave off a few hundred pounds front end weight (especially if you also added a straight front axle). Change rearend gears to around 4.56. At the very least it'd be different.

4. Here is my opinion. I would skip the gasser idea and I am really partial to gasser looks. That car would be best suited to do a Grand Sport replica, they used the chrome roll bar, flared wheel wells, weber carbs, large stripe, white hooker side pipe headers. Those cars were bad ass road race cars and there are not too many clones built. Believe me that is your best value build and you will get attention. The C1 Corvette bodies lend more to straight axle builds. The open cap 8"Torgue Thrusts look tuff on the C2's. Think about it, I believe it is that car's destiny. Just my op. :):cool:

5. Hey Dean I need that clock for my 63 :eek::)

You're not alone butchering a mid-year....I'm doing one too;). 30 years playing with Corvettes have made me appreciate history and hate purists all at the same time. Do what you want with it(I know you will)---there's TONS of restored cars out there for sale, so all the nay-sayers can go buy a correct one any time they feel froggy :cool: All ya gotta do is pony up the $$$$ One more modified car isn't the end of the world........
    fwiw, you'll need to notch the x-member for balancer clearance if you were to put that aluminum head big block in it

6. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

See if the front brakes look like this...probably not but worth checking.

Just look for a screen on the backing plates

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  7. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

I'd take the powertrain out of a new Chevy Volt and make it a real head turner you know something different like the Hemi idea justa thought WTF.

8. teddyp

teddyp

I like chevygassermadness ideals the best. It would i thInk it would be a cool CAR. Putting A OLD HEMI IN THIS CAR WOULD MAKE A JOKE OUT OF A GOOD MOTOR AND A GOOD CAR I WOULD SELL THE HEMI OR PUT IT IN A OPEN HOOD CAR AND GET A SBC,S WORK TO THE MAX A BBC, OR A BIG NAILHEAD JUST MY 2 CENTS

9. I'd put a flathead in it.........................

10. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

YES! This is what I was thinking but didnt know how to put it into words
    except I wouldnt want the white sidepipes or stripe, so it would look more street.:cool:

Either way I personaly like modified vettes better.

Attached Files:

11. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

I would check the options on it. It could be a rare one worth way more than you paid for it if restored. Also, Im not feeling the gasser theme. Unless you resto mod it? Can I say that here?? :)

12. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Now my opinion means nothing here, but since your asking I think that is one of the most obsurd things you can do to that car even if it was a low hp car let alone a FI car if true..... Thats as bad as taking a original 32 traditional rod and putting a tune port 350 in it, Yea the 80's suck!!! as is gasser Corvettes with a 392 in it....

13. Roadsir

Roadsir

I'd be tempted to go the weekend racer look. Keep the wheels, mount some cheater slicks on the rear, do the single hoop roll bar, a really hot small block or big block, a 401 or 425 nailhead with 2-4's and a switch pitch would be fitting and really cool, a little nose high.

14. Well I think obsurd is a bit of a stretch now. It's an idea I threw out there since we have everything I mentioned. The 80's suck! You can't compare that to a Hemi in a vette even if it is a bad idea haha :p
    -Dean

15. I'm almost thinking the same thing now, exactly that. Give it the race look and feel but you're not doing anything too crazy.
    -Dean

16. My opinion? I love a 392 in ANYTHING!
    I'am curiouse, are those E.T.III's or torque thrust's on there.

17. I think they are just torque thrusts. The fronts are 14" and the rears are 15" as I recall.
    -Dean

18. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

How about this?
    [​IMG]

19. emf

emf

build it the way you want or you will regret it, do let other people talk you out of it, its yours not theres, im going throw the same thing right now, i have a 57 chevy that was my father inlaws for 30 years, and i am making it a gasser, & people are flipping out, but i dont care, ive always let people talk me out of this on my 8 previous 55-57 chevys, but its mine now & this is what i want, i am 51 now, when i am dead & gone someone else can have the car & do what they want to it !!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Attached Files:

• 726.jpg
      726.jpg
      File size:
      120 KB
      Views:
  20. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Not really, Gasser corvette built if lucky will bring 30K done perfect...

A FI roller will bring 20K needing restored minus drivetrain.....

I paid 30K for a FI roller 15 years ago with the short block in it minus top end, finished car got over 100K 8 years ago....

Im sticking with obsurd!

21. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

You know, it's your car so you can do whatever to it, but you might want to get an appraisal on it as-is by someone who knows.

At least you will know what you have.

22. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Nice Corvette + Hemi = FUBR

23. 4ever18

4ever18

I think that you need to sell me that hood for my '64 Coupe.

Attached Files:

24. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

That is really nice. I need some American Racing wheels for my '71

25. '67 big block hood is gonna go, wanna swap?? Make me an offer haha. No dice on the torque thrusts.
    -Dean

26. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Fix the body, drop in a good 327 hi-perf rebuild and drive it often. That should be enough for anyones ego. It is too nice a car to make a freak out of.

27. Fiatdude

Fiatdude
    from SoCal

x1000000000000

28. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

cut it up. what is another 64 fuelie vette taken from the restorers.

this was my 64 radio delete fuelie. never did get to put the extra tail lights in the back

Attached Files:

29. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Should of turned it into a simple drag car, had fun with it for 20+ years and then restored it. Would of gotten alot more than 100 grand.Better than a 401 K plan. And had fun doin it. And pissed off a few purists doin it as well.

30. Racrdad

Racrdad

A 392 in a vette?? GO MAN GO!!!!! Cant wait to see a build thread!!