Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gemmer Steering Box ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by petew, Dec 26, 2010.

1. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

I have a Gemmer box in my 27 T that needs some seals, problem is I don't know what the original application for the box was. So if anyone can tell me what it is off of and who might have parts I would appreciate it. I have attempted to attach some pictures. :confused:

Gemmer.jpg

gemmer2.jpg

gemmer3.jpg

2. inline 292

inline 292

Pretty sure the '52 Dodge P/U I owned yrs. ago had a Gemmer box - I rebuilt it. Just saying, if its a transplant, could be from lots of applications.

3. jimvette59

jimvette59

There should be #s cast into the part that the pitman shaft goes through.

4. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

Numbers cast in are 12001

5. Shookie

Shookie

Not 28-31 Model A Ford, but very similar, might be 32 and up.

6. cbillelder

cbillelder

If you are talking about the seal where the sector shaft comes out of the housing, just measure the sector shaft diameter and the diameter of the the seal bore in the housing. Get yourself a National seal catalog (at your local bearing supply house) and find one with the right ID/OD/thickness combination. They market a jillion different sizes, so you should be able to find one that will work. I ordered up a replacement seal for my Ford F1 box, but wasn't impressed with it. It was an old design leather seal that didn't fit very well. Found a rubber double lip seal in the National catalog that fit the bill perfectly!

7. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

No bearing supply houses around here but I'm sure I can scare up a National seal catalog somewhere. It appears the Ford used the same style box from 32-36 and those gasket kits are available for about 6 bucks from Macs and others. I like your seal idea.

Pete

8. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Pretty darn sure that's a '32 Ford box. The '33-'34 looks similar, but the frame mounting flange pattern is flipped. (two holes on the top instead of one hole)

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The sector shaft housing looks too long to my eye. A 32 sector housing measures 3" over all length from the box to the frame flange.

Some of the big Ford trucks had a very similar looking steering box. I bought one at Hershey off of a blue tarp only to find out that the shaft that I needed was too big in diameter. It was a big truck unit I guess. It's very hard to tell the difference unless the two are side by side.

10. The_Forgotten

The_Forgotten
    from WNY

I found one similar in a big truck junkyard (just laying all by its lonesome) and took it for my current project. I'm trying to find a replacement drag link for it. Any ideas on how to go about narrowing down the search? I know the wide point of the drag link rod end is about .7 and tapers down. :confused:

As for this one, it's not like the big truck one of mine, if that helps at all (output shaft is longer on yours)

11. pcterm2

pcterm2

12. alchemy

alchemy

If it's a '32, it may have not held a steel/rubber/leather lip seal on the sector shaft. The one I redid had felt in there originally. I replaced it with felt. Yes, it weeps lube.

If your housing has a rough casting inside the seal area, have it machined a touch to the closest available seal size and use a nice lip seal to keep the lube where it belongs. Next time I take mine apart I'll be doing this.