Register now to get rid of these ads!

>>An Idiot's Guide To....Multiple Carburation!!! (Weiand WC4D 4x2)<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Dec 26, 2010.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well over the past week I've have had an unfortunate setback so I was forced to sell a couple things to pay for it. That meant the money that I had saved for Dickster to set up my Weiand 4x2 intake has been spent now forcing me to quickly learn this stuff for myself. Might be a blessing in disguise who knows!!??

The background of my engine is that I am running a 1956 265 Chevy engine that's been punched out to 283 after a .125" bore. I have '57 heads with a port & polish, a Duntov 097 cam (230'@.050, 287' advertised, .393 in X .399 ex lift, 112' seperation, lash is .012 & .018.) HP is believed to be somewhere between 225-250.

The intake that I'm looking to run is a Weiand WC4D 4x2 intake with Staggered set carbs. I'm looking to run this setup either progressive or straight linkage depending on what works best. My main goal is really to do whatever is possible to ensure the most efficient and proper running engine possible.

[​IMG]

The Suspect...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My goal of this thread is to gain as much information on setting this particular intake up and providing a step by step process on rebuilding the carbs, setting up linkage, tuning the whole setup so other's can benefit from it later on.

Now for some questions.....

••• What carbs should I run 94's or 97's? I have about 15 94's sitting on the shelf that I can rebuild but lately after some research 97's with smaller venturis might suit the smaller displacement of my engine better.

•••Straight or Progressive linkage? Which will work better on this particular intake? I've read that Weiand used to provide progressive linkage for this unit.

•••If progressive, what do you like better the inner two carbs or the outer two? Again, I've read of both ways being ran.

•••I'd like to run my stock firewall throttle linkage that's on the passenger side. Can I make that work even though the linkage to connect the carbs is on the drivers side? I have a 6x2 intake for a hemi with old linkage that has the initial arm set up on the passenger side so I believe it's possible.

•••Where can I buy the linkage parts as well as the carb parts such as shafts and new hardware?

I'll be asking a ton of question throughout the thread so I think that'll get me started for now! Thanks a ton and I'm stoked to get this thing on the engine and working like a champ!!!

2. JAWS

JAWS

I doubt you will have any real problems getting those to sync and idle properly. Reason is the cam doesn't have a lot of overlap which will make vacuum or lack of and issue.

The carbs you are intending, both 94's or 97's have idle circuits. Logically since they are on each corner, then they should be set up equally. No progressive linkage is my opinion.

Do you have a sync tool? Do you have a vac gauge? Timing Light?

You will be fine. Follow your good common sense. I've seen from previous threads that you are no dummy. Trial and error, tune to what YOUR motor needs.

Keep us informed of the progress. This will be good tech info for others in your spot.

Later

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

My friends have Vac Gauge and Timing light but no Sync tool. I should probably get one huh?

So if your recommendation is Straight linkage, would you say the 97's would be better because of the CFM's? I'm more familiar with 94's as I've rebuilt one for my '52 but if it's going to be a better choice to run 97's in the long run then I'll have to sell some stuff and make the switch.

4. George

George

The general consisious is the 97s are easier to tune than 94s. @ 150 CFM each, 4 97s gives you 600 CFM, should be fine. Many Wieand intakes, this one also, don't have decent open plenums in them, so nonprogressive is the way to go.

5. JAWS

JAWS

Sync tool yes!

Like George said, the 97's maybe easier, but why not try both. 94's for awhile then 97's.

That 265 is gonna be docile enough for you to be able to "play"

Ever messed with a holley that had the 4 corner idle circuits? It will be similar. Think tune to each hole or groups of two in your case. You don't want to starve or over feed either group. The sync too will help with making sure each carb is "pulling" the same as you adjust the throttle plates. Make them all the same and simultainously get your idle where you want in rpms, idle mix equal too. Take small bites, start from a common point on all of them.

Something like, idle mix screws out 1/2 turn, throttle plate fully closed then one full turn from the stop with the screw.

6. Let me make this easy for you JJ. send me your intake and carbs and I will send you a perfectly good running edelbroke intake and carb to put on your street rod. I'll even polish them first for you.....;)

BTW there is a mock up SBC in the 39 lincoln at Gambino Kustoms. I think it has the same intake on it as yours. Maybe Alex would snap a picture of the linkage for you?

7. beatnik

beatnik

8. Subscribed. I am an IDIOT and want to learn. Todd

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hitchhiker, I'll trade but only if it's for a tunnel ram and that Monte Carlo IFS you have stashed away for your Model A. Hehe....

Bass has the same intake with 97's on it so I could copy his linkage but I know his engine is way more bad ass then mine with it being a stroker motor and pushing about 400-450hp so I didn't know if I should set mine up like his. Tis a nice looking setup though....

[​IMG]

classiccarjack likes this.
  10. Not my monte carlo Stuff!!!!!!!!!

I think it would be fine. The carbs don't know what motor they are on....they are just responding to the inputs they receive from the motor and operator.

11. Go to a small VW shop if you have one, they will have a sync tool for cheap. I got mine from a local import shop for like 12.00...speedway and the like are like 25.00-30.00 plus shipping or so. Just a tip.

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks Chris!!! We actually have a VW guru here named Wayne. He's a bit of an eccentric wearing high heels and frilly socks but damn it if he isn't dialed in with VW's. I'm sure he's have one!

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

So where do I get all that shiny linkage stuff that Brian has on his intake? Is there a place to order all of that stuff?

14. SteadyT

SteadyT

Man... THAT looks like the way to go...

15. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorta OT/ sorta related:
    I was at Goodguys Indy years ago, and in the flea market area saw a 2 x 2bbl intake setup for a Plymouth flathead six for sale. Someone with decent machinist's skills had split the throttle shafts between the butterflies and was running each carb progressively, with linkage on both sides. I don't recall what the carbs were- they weren't Strombergs, maybe Carters?.. It was grubby and fuel stained, looked like it had been run. Seemed like a good idea to me, has anyone else ever tried this? How did it work?

16. George

George

wow, never heard of that! There's some 2 bl carbs that were used on Pintos, Vegas, ect that were internally progressive that seem like they might solve some linkage problems.

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Here's another couple pics of Brian Bass' 4x2 setup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And one from Kiwi Kev...
    [​IMG]

Brian's '29 roadster build has been a huge inspiration and that engine in particular has helped me gain confidence in my choice to run a early Chevy engine. His execution also gives me a good idea on how to attack things. He's a direct linkage type of feller on all of his projects.

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those above are from the Hot Rod company. Stromberg-97 also has two types that they sell. And speaking of Stromberg-97's I really like how I can order just about any part from them to repair an old carburetor. When I get around to rebuilding my carbs I want all new screws and such so that everything looks fresh. Can the New Edelbrock 94's swap parts with the old ones?

19. I've used the #2's and they are slick for strait linkage. You can buy stainless stock that fits the linkage hole at any hardware store.

Also, just and FYI 94's are bigger CFM then 97's...dunno if that makes a difference on your application but to a measly flathead a few extra CFM can be too much!

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah that's what I was concerned about really. At first I was dead set on those 94's but lately after doing some reading I am wishing I can afford 97's. THe 97's would be better for the small displacement I think. I mean looking at old books and dudes running 296 inch flattys really only ran 3-4 carbs at most and since my engine is 283 inches and I am running 4 carbs I think less is more in this case. I need to get those off that dude you got the wishbone from...I just need to figure out what I can trade him!

21. JAWS

JAWS

If you jet the 94's right, they will work fine. You will suffer on the lowend torque but that little smallblock will like the extra for winding.

It's a punched 265, how much torque can it make with it's little arms anyway. Chances are you will be buzzing it above 2000 rpms most of the time anyway. Gear accordingly and have a good time listening to the throats as you open them up..

22. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Jeff, I sent you a pm...
    Duane.

23. JJ
    I'm very interested in this thread as this is the same set up I was thinking about for my deuce.
    I'll let you get it all figured out and then help me out.
    Good luck.

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Haha!!! Sounds like a plan Daddy-O!!!! I'm going to take Duane's idea on this one...90% thought, 10% work. I'm not making move until I have my ducks in a row. I'd like to run 97's but I'll have to see if I can come up with some first. Anybody want to trade 8-10 94's for your 4 97's?

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can do this Jeffy Cakes!! I have faith!!

Is this manifold a "common plenum" design? In other words, are all four carb locations feeding all 8-runners? If so, you could probably go with progressive, but I agree that a straight linkage is probably a good way to go.

Something to think about with the 94's is they will add up to about 640 cfm or so which really isn't that much more than the 97's. ALSO! That would be with the hammer down and the carbs wide open.

The Hot Rod Company has the arms as does Vintage Speed. Speedway carries them as well...

Get any Wii games for Christmas? :D

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's something I never thought about Scooter. The 94's should pump the same amount as the 97's unless I'm at full throttle? Hmmm..... What about buying parts for the 94's? Any hook up on that?

Wii game? Yeah Wii FIT so I can slim my portly ass down enough to fit in a belly tank one day! Wouldn't you believe they gave me a free tv with the purchase of the game? hehe

27. Plus, 650 CFM aint much on a small block, even if it is a smaller displacement.

I figured you were doing Wii bowling when the "incident" occured.

28. sport fury

sport fury

i have always heard that 94's have vacuum power valves and do not perform well in multiples.

29. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

It was.... I was trying to break 200 and I ended up breaking way way more then that! HAHAHA!!!!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010