Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roger Miret's 54 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FuManchu, Dec 25, 2010.

1. FuManchu

FuManchu
    from Mesa AZ

So So a little over 2 weeks ago Jimmy (Il Gimmi) hooked me up with Roger (Rumblers C.C.) to do some work on his 54. Went and checked the car out, and it was a rock solid car. Roger had just got the car back from Tucson where he had the interior done, and had all the air suspension done by Empire Customs. Holy Fuck, did they do a bang up job. EDC under the hood, everything hardlined in polished stainless steel lines, aircraft valves, so dope. Roger had solid ideas where he wanted to go with the car, and of course I had my 2 cents to throw in. His vision was something like what a high school kid would cruise in the late fifties, and it seems somewhere along the road this thing is starting to evolve. Here's some pics of it as it arrived at the shop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]I had posted this on another board and thought I'd share it over here.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  2. FuManchu

FuManchu
    from Mesa AZ

Like I said this is a very minimal rust car. Nice change of pace. The main issues where the left and right rear quarters, bottom of the passenger door, and the drivers side rocker. I wanted to get as much done as possible before i left for X-mas break. Here's the damage...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some of the stuff i didn't get pics of. This was some east bound and down shit. Here's some of the patches I fabbed...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I still lack fixing the rust in the drivers side rocker. Everything was tacked with MIG, then TIG welded.

3. FuManchu

FuManchu
    from Mesa AZ

On to the custom stuff. Roger wanted the gas door, handles, badges, and lock cylinder shaved.

[​IMG]
    Here's the patch for the gas door. This guy I gas welded in being it's on such a low crown panel. The whole rear of the car is already in primer, so this was the only pic I've got. Plus no pics of the holes for the handles or lock cylinder welded shut. Here's where I geeked out a bit. I've always hated that wire that come with door popper kits, plus I wanted to build this shit like a tank. There was a bunch of carb linkage stuff laying around, all ball and socket joints with threaded adjustable ends, lock nuts, 1/4 inch rod, so I used that stuff to fab all the linkage.

Here's the setup mocked up on the passenger door

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here's the linkage and setup on the trunk
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Super Massive overkill. But you know what? I doubt he'll ever get locked out.

He was on the fence as far as frenched antennas. I put together a little "presentation" to try to persuade him, and he dug it. They are such a guilty pleasure for me. haha.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made the housing out of DOM tubing. I always forget to index regular tubing with that welded seam! haha. Also notice that one serves as a functioning antenna, and the other serves as a push button, for super secret shit. the antenna masts still need to be trimmed down. I know they are not electric, but it's just the way I like to do 'em, and Roger's stoked.

4. FuManchu

FuManchu
    from Mesa AZ

He also wanted to do 55 chevy headlight bezels. When we started this build I dug through my little books from 56 to 59 for inspiration, and found a 54 with the most gorgeous execution of 55 bezels in a 54. I used that pic as a guideline. I also had been givin a link from the hamb of a swap someone had done, and theirs did look good, but for the life of me i do not see how it was done in so few steps. Here's what I ended up with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sorry for all the pics of that headlight, I just had alot of fun doing it! Not bad for 2 weeks of work. Most of the car is sitting in primer. I still got a bunch more to do. Hopefully after the holidays Roger should be helping out a bit at the shop and we can get this bad little girl knocked out. Plus I'm working on him to let me spray some of that murano I've been sitting on. We'll see what mysteries the future holds.

5. 00 MACK

00 MACK

God, Does that look fucking fantastic. Im sick of 1952 era customs already! LOL

6. that headlight treatment looks great. Would love to see the article that inspired you.

7. skyrodder

skyrodder

8. Racrdad

Racrdad

Nice job on the headlights! Looks great

9. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

beautiful work.the headlights look great..not a bad ride for a punk rocker!

10. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Looking fantastic. Don't stop now!

11. 54pumpjack

54pumpjack

Very nice work!

12. voodoobuick

voodoobuick
    from geelong

Thoses headlights look killer man!!!Great job.

13. billys54

billys54

14. FuManchu

FuManchu
    from Mesa AZ

As far as giving props where props are due. Check out this sick shit from Empire Customs in Tucson.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

P.S. The optima isn't in the car. haha.

15. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

A real body man from the old school you are. YES!

16. Looks great!! Good to meet you Mike a few weeks ago. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Mike

17. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Ok man were is the flyin wang?

18. You sir, do beautiful work! Keep the updates coming...

Joel

19. clinthull

clinthull

20. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

very nice work, the door and trunk setups are ingenious and no doubt bullet proof compared to the cable b.s. stuff they send....excellent work...

21. FuManchu

FuManchu
    from Mesa AZ

That was special for IlGimmi. LOL.

22. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Sure it was..

23. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

24. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

Mike, cool work on the 54. you have pic of the mag you used for inspiration or can you scan it?

Jimmy's 54 is cool too.

25. FuManchu

FuManchu
    from Mesa AZ

Yo Dante, thanks man! it was a Trend "how to customise your car" I'm on the other coast though, and that issue is at the shop. Maybe when I get home I'll throw it in the blog?

26. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Subscribed!!!

27. great job, this car is going to be sweet. Any clues as to colors?

28. The Gambler

The Gambler

29. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

oh alright either way. it's coming along great.

30. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam