Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is a 409 worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bedrock, Dec 25, 2010.

1. bedrock

bedrock
    from Alberta

What is a running 409 truck motor worth? A fellow wants to swap me his 66 grain truck so I won't really be laying out cash but he is also placing a value on the whole truck and I'm not sure I can recover much money from the truck once the motor is out. I'm looking at somewhere in two to twenty five hundred range. Is that too much?

2. It's worth whatever you pay for it.

3. dawg

dawg

more than a henweigh...

4. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Do a search topic has been beaten to death

5. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

What he said

6. bedrock

bedrock
    from Alberta

That's pretty much what I thought.

7. darkk

darkk

I bought a 409 with the motor almost stuck for $500,tore it down and it was all rust and jelly inside. I spent over $5000. making it worth keeping...:(

8. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

A friend of mine bought an old Hot Rod, '32 3 window which had a 409 and powerglide. He pulled the motor and trans and sold them for $600. He wanted a Hemi.

9. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I found a complete '62 409 car engine (apart) for $1600 a few weeks ago. It's not perfect, and will take alot of money to be ready to go in my Impala. It is what I've been looking for though.

If you want to spend less money, the truck engines bring less, but it's not a '62-3 409-409.

Kevin

10. bedrock

bedrock
    from Alberta

I had thought that 5-6 hundred range would be about right and wouldn't be too choked to spend a grand but I'm unsure if I can recover much from the truck itself. It would help if I had a use for it but I don't at the moment.

11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why such a big price spread? Two hundred would be a deal. Twenty five hundred would be a little high.

12. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

have any of you guys ever actually purchased a 409 truck engine as described?

or are the afore mentioned value estimates just opinions?

13. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

its all conjecture. I tracked 409/348 s on epay, brought around 800 on average "running when pulled" and over $5k for rebuilt with dual quads. I figure either way, be prepared to spend.

14. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Never bought one, just priced them. In my search, the truck engines are just that. Truck engines. Obviously the truck engines were built 10 to 1 vs. the car engines. As far as I know, there is no such thing as a numbers correct Hi-Po truck engine. Especially in my case hunting a '62 409.

I'm sure you know these engines better than me Bobwop, am I telling it right?

Kevin

15. 54pumpjack

54pumpjack

Truck engines are Low on the performance scale!

Q: What's the difference between the truck and marine engines compared to the passenger car engines?

<big>A:</big> They share alot of the same parts like crank and rods but the heads and block are different between them. The truck and marine blocks have a cut out area in each cylinder that helps lowers the compression to 7.75:1 The notch in the block is not responsible for all the compression loss however. The truck and marine heads (333) have a combustion chamber and shorter pistons which are responsible for the largest amount of the compression loss. On a positive note, the notch in the block also allows more room around the exhaust valve thereby enhancing the air flow.

16. Every time my buddy see's a 409 valve cover at a swap, he turns it upside down, puts it up against his legs and says "these are good to piss in"...:)

17. noboD

noboD

About 30 years ago at a garage auction I missed buying a 409-425 complete to the aircleaner. I ran out of $$ and had to quit bidding at $35.

18. madpole

madpole

i have seen them at swapmeets in socal for $800-$1200 for running engines.

19. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

for many years, we all scoffed at the truck engines. In recent years they have become desireable, to a degree.

certainly the supply of car-409's has been depleted. Truck engines are a viable alternative, especially considering you are going to rebuild it anyway.

For those of us that enjoy extra cubic inches and higher performance, the truck engine has become the casting of choice. The characteristics of the truck block work exceptionally well for added cubic inches, higher compression and high performance heads.

the lowly truck engine in my 63 Belair is now at 482 cubic inches. That big heavy car will run deep into the 10.40's.

If you plan to spend the big bucks to rebuild anyway, why not save on the front end and buy a truck engine? Your machinist and engine builder will thank you in the long run.

20. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

I don't know where these guys are finding the deals they're talking about. Full of eggnog still IMO. If it is a 409 and it runs, the damn thing is worth 2 grand all day long! Try to rebuild one! The rest of that grain truck is an easy 600-800 bucks in scrap alone. You want/need a 409, you WILL be sorry if you pass on this deal!

21. 409's aren't worth anything especially with the x-11 heads.. you should just give it to me..

22. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

We bought a 65 Truck engine running about 8 years ago for $500 and thought we got lucky. The bad part was the crankshaft was shot in the thrust area. I would venture to guess that almost all truck cranks are shot in the thrust area because of the huge flywheel and heavy clutch that has been pushed in more times than you can count. We also bought a 64 340hp short block that needed two sleeves for $500. At this point the stuff is getting rarer and some parts like crankshaft bearings are hard to find in certain undersizes. Everybody always says wow though when you lift the hood and they see the dual quad 409 though. I would get the old truck and take a chance.

23. 35 Woodie

35 Woodie

Thia '33 5-window was built in 1965 with a 409 sporting 6 Holley 94s. Engine has never been removed in 45 years and it goes like hell!

[​IMG]
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

24. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

1.89 per pound for a hen.
    A 409 weights aprox 550 lbs......... 1.89 X 409 = 1039.5
    A 409 will be more than $1039.5

25. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

any 409 is worth buyin!

26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

What he said.

27. The grain truck has parts on it that aren't reproduced, and because it's a big grain truck I find they seem to rust less because they sit way up off the ground - the cab may be a good donor piece for someone's project. Scrap, last I checked was only 150 or so a ton, so maybe $300 in the chassis and body. But - you can fill it up with a couple tons of other shit before you haul it in, too.

I think at $2500 you can break even on it, but probably not much more, unless you have a lot of time on your hands to part it out. And the other problem is it's a lot easier to sell a motor guys can see run than one that's out sitting on a stand or a pallet.

28. Some of this info is outdated, as with the onslaught of 409 parts on the market now from Edelbrock like big port heads, intakes , ready to run dizzys etc, It's much easier to build a HP 409 now. you can machine a 454 crank to drop right in a 409 for a stroker, or just buy a ready made one. the exhaust notches in teh cylinders do nothing but good for breathing and will knock a point off your CR compared to a block without the notch(so you can install your 11:1 factory 409hp pistons and only yield 10:1 for pump gas) . the good thing about them in big trucks is they arent full of water and usually run, even if they need a rebuild at least you wont be sleeving for rust issues....you can get a couple hundred for the 333 heads for a runner...or if you dont need big HP, just put decent valves in them and run them. You can port a small runner head to run on a big port dual quad intake, you just lose the top 2 bolts on teh intake. I sold my '61 Impala to a friend it has a 10:1 cr truck blocked motor , 333 heads described above with dual quads and a hydraulic version of the 425hp cam....4spd and 3.36s that thing flat out hauls ass....he has another 'real' dual quad motor in a model a coupe and the 333 headed motor is way faster around town.

29. Could always check with the gurus over on the 348-409 site. They buy and sell and build truck blocks all the time. Lot of W block experience at that site and heck you might even find a block for sale there too.