Register now to get rid of these ads!

Maytag Toy Racer..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IrishHills, Dec 24, 2010.

1. I never knew, wish I had got this for Christmas instead of my Red Ryder BB Gun..

The Maytag Toy Racer
    One of the most highly prized Maytag collectibles is the Maytag Toy Racer. Collectors now know there were 498 toy racers which the Maytag Company made between 1934 and 1941.

[​IMG]

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  2. wvenfield

wvenfield

I'm assuming it came with a Maytag hit/miss drivetrain?

3. gardon

gardon
    from kansas

Great picture. My buddy is trying to restore one.

4. gardon

gardon
    from kansas

Does anyone know where you get tires to fit the thing?

5. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I had an old Maytag engine when was a kid but it wasn't Hit 'n Miss. It was a two stroke, opposed 2 cylinder with a kick start.

6. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

If you pop the clutch it kicks in the spin cycle.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, they are sort of a Hit & Miss engine, in that they use a centrifugal governor to limit their maximum RPM. They are not throttle governed, but rather are speed limited by other means. I have both a one and a two cylinder Maytag engine. The single cylinder has a centrifugal weight that interrupts the ignition in order to govern the speed. The two cylinder engine uses a spring loaded ball in the crankshaft (again, centrifugally operated) to cut off the fuel supply. So when they are running below their designed RPM, they hit. When they reach the designed RPM, they miss and coast.

8. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

Killjoy.............:D

9. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Ebbsspeed - You nailed it!! Now what was the brand name belt they used?

IrishHills, on tires - There was a Mag called WHEEL GOODS TRADER years
    ago when I dealt with Pedal Cars especially high end Juvenile Pedal Cars
    some had that kind of tire.

10. I would like to see some more pictures. Did this car have the two cylinder engine and the kick start ? Did it use the standard Maytag fuel tank? What about brakes and steering? Was this the standard cooler? Was the lever on the side to tighten the belt?

Thanks for posting what you did.

11. One cylinder Maytag Multi-Motor, looks like one drum brake on back, prolly solid axle?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  12. flynstone

flynstone

here is a pic of a twin.............

Attached Files:

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is neat. I've never seen a photo of the car before but have one of the old washing machine motors out in the shed that I nabbed at a yard sale years ago.

14. guffey

guffey

I had a rough one that I sold at Hersey this past fall, I will see if I still have a photo. The early ones were single cylinders and the late ones 2 cylinder versions.

15. Spooky

Spooky

How cool it would be to find one of these at an estate sale!

16. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have no idea what kind of belt they used.

There are a lot of people that have no idea that Maytag built automobiles in the early 1900's. One of them is owned by the husband of my son's first grade teacher. Here's his car:

[​IMG]

Here's a link to a story about the car:

http://www.tomstrongman.com/ClassicCars/GeorgeHess/Index.htm

And a bit more info about the Maytag cars. Check out the hillclimbing picture:

http://www.maytagclub.com/page-30.htm

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  17. 1952henry

1952henry

That's just cool. Be neat to find one.

18. playtag

playtag

A friend just told me this was posted on here.I had one of these about 10 years ago.This is correct 498 where built between 1934-41.about 350 where the single cylinder engine and approx 148 where twin cylinder engines the twins used a belt tensioner set to give power to the rear axle.The single has a cork lined clutch that when the control rod/handle is engaged the rocker arm pushes the clutch into a mating housing on the flywheel of the engine to give power to the rear axle.The serial number plate is mounted on the dash with serial numbers starting at 500 and going to 998.Two of these racers where returned to the factory which numbers these where we donot know.These cars where made to demostrate the durability of maytag engine.Dealers could buy one of these for 195.00 and most where ran in parades with banner from the font bumper to the back bumper advertising to come to your local Maytag dealer to win the car.Most have found homes in scarpe pile approx 70-75 are known to exist.The tire as someone has asked are 12x3 Goodyear tires these are liked tubes with treads on the outside which mount on a split hub.Mine where dryrotted but intact and thought about filling with the insulation foam in a can.I now a few others who have cars and have had success with this.The top speed for the car was about 9mph.

19. I know a guy in Modesto who has one... I used to go to his house as a kid and just stare at it.

Sam

20. Thanks for the pictures and thanks for taking care of it.

21. 61bone

61bone

Know where there is one that hasn't been run in 50 years and still looks llike new.

22. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Built this replica with measurements from an original Toy Racer in Coca Cola Red and White a couple of years ago. Owner furnished motor, cast parts and decals. Notice the goose hood ornament. Louvers formed on a Pullmax.

Attached Files:

23. You're a handy guy John Worden.... Nice!!!

24. doug achim

doug achim

I have a complete, restored Maytag Toy Racer with every piece of paper it generated since it was built in 1935, almost a complete engine in extra parts, a model 92 Maytag engine rebuild manual, a maintaince manual, and lots of research. It will will going out for bids in a couple of weeks if anyone is interested let me know. [email protected]

knotheads likes this.
  25. Very awesome car! Thanks for sharing.

26. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I have an opportunity to buy one of these right now at an estate sale, fully restored and running. What are they worth? I'd love to buy this thing but don't want to pay too much. Anyone have any idea?

27. With only 498 toy racers made and no telling how many are left it would be hard to price, I guess how much you like it and what your'e willing to pay would be key. :)

28. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Actually, I think this might be the one that John Worden ^^^ made above! No dash plaque with serial number. ???

29. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Well, I thought it was cool, but not $9k cool.... I still think it's the one that Worden made. $9,000! Crazy.

30. yep a little steep for a repro, maybe even an original.