Register now to get rid of these ads!

Penny wise and pound foolish: new heads on used shortblock?!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, Dec 24, 2010.

?

where should I stick this Vortec top end?

Poll closed Dec 27, 2010.
  1. put em on the old block while building another

12 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Sell the stocker and build a all new longblock

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Strip the parts off the old engine and use them on new

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I'm on a budget.

I'm looking at getting some vortec heads/intake/750 holley for a SBC.

I currently have a rebuilder motor that has some decently nice parts on it that's got 10,000 miles on it and this stuff was new 3 or 4 years ago when it was put together(edelbrok fuel pump, mini starter(soon going back to rebuilt stocker), new flywheel, new hp waterpump, new 105amp alternator, new dampner, good edelbrock 600, sanderson headers, new sending unints for gauges, and last but not least a small edelbrock cam and I *THINK* springs. I don't know the specs, but its somewhere around 20" vaccum at idle so it ain't much I don't think.

Oh and a chrome oilpan that ads 10 horsepower! :D

SO! keeping in mind I'm Frugal McGee, but also want good reliability

1) should I do the swap and put the vortecs on the short block, and maybe build up another, better shortblock when money is available?

2) Should I sell this engine as-is for whatever the market will bear(I dunno, $500?) and build another shortblock with new bolt ons,mean while sidelining my car for a bit(I could do bodywork while I build the engine)

3)should I put together another long block with the vortecs and strip the now 4year old stuff off the old block onto the new? Then sell the shortblock for $100 or keep it or something.

What say you?!?

Thanks in advance :)

2. If you're on a budget, bolt them on and have fun.

3. smokey3550

smokey3550
    from texas

Run what you brung!! That motor's barely broke in.

4. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

Put them on and go ,
    750 is to big for a mild sbc though . 600cfm is plenty adiquate for a crusier

5. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

yunick did it at daytona everytime, said they make more power that way. I'm not smart enough to argue against him.

6. 64cheb

64cheb

Yunick's engines were flowed quite differently, and the heads had a lot of portwork done. It would be overkill for an sbc.

7. ckunsman89

ckunsman89
    from cocoa, FL.

x2. 750 is too much and will constantly foul plugs. just bolt on the new heads and have fun. no sense in rebuilding something that isn't worn out.

8. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Huh?

Yunick put fresh heads on the used shortblock after practice and before the race. He says it would make more power that way.

So using that theory the original poster should be able to figure out that its ok to run new heads on a used shortblock.

9. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Maybe it'll hold if I don't rev it? I guess I picture the rod bolts letting go. Hopefully in a dramatic way at least!

Think stock bolts, surely used, are good for 5,000 rpm?

From the crane cams program I think that 5k will be peak hp and peak torque at 4000. That's what seemed good to me anyway to keep the revs down.

Oh and the 750 sounds big to me too, but its what the magazines builds are all running. Can't drive a dyno though!

10. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

A magazine and a dyno are not your car on the street . Also remmeber all the parts used in magazine builds are also sponsors of the magazine .
    The bottom end will be fine ,