Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds 455 in a 52 fleetline???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kmiele, Dec 23, 2010.

1. kmiele

kmiele

I searched the web alot about this but there doesnt seem to be much info on this. I recently came across a 455 olds motor, with a b&m th350 b.o.p trans. I have a 1952 chevy fleetline. I would like to put this engine/tranny combo in the fleetline. I know i will probably have to modify the transmission tunnel, and convert to 12 volt, but are there any complications involved in this swap that make it unreasonable to do? And will my master cylinder be ok in the stock location under the floor or will it have to be moved?

2. chubbie

chubbie

I've never done the swap, so...
    don't know about steering column clearance. the master cyl. should be ok. I did heat and bend a chevy brake once, to clear a 400 turbo, sound like you need to try it and learn as you go like most of us have for years. the 455 is a tall deck , so its wide on top. the rest of it isn't much more than a sbc, only weighs a little more than a chevy. the starter is on the drivers side. this makes every thing real tight. DO IT!!

3. Superflea

Superflea

I have a 455 in a 49 that I am building--tunnel doesn't need to be modified---don't know about your stock steering column clearing--mine is all changed along with the front suspension--they are very wide at the top--I don't have room for headers so will be running cast rear exit manifolds off a 442--I did take the upright supports off the firewall when cleaning it up which helps for clearance as I wanted it as close to the firewall as I could get--they have enough mounts that the ones I removed won't be missed--hope this helps

4. kmiele

kmiele

Thanks for the info, I am definitely gonna do it, just trying to prepare myself for any bumps in the road that I may come across. I have the tools and ability to fabricate mounts or crossmembers etc.