Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford AOD TV cable adjustment, I'm going crazy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris Casny, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I could not find the right thing in the search, so here is my question.

I'm using an early 90's Ford AOD transmission in my boattail project.
    I have a simple cable conected to my carb (Edelbrock 1405). So when I acctuate the throttle the TV/kick down cable moves as well.
    IT WONT SHIFT OUT OF FIRST GEAR.
    Should I bite the bullet and get one of those overpriced Lokar cables or is there an other way.
    BTW, do I need some sort of bracket thats attached to the carb????
    Thanks for the help.
    PS: Using a 302 motor

2. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I found the adj instruction on the WWW can't find them now but it's a rear pain, KD even make a tool for the stock...Hey I got the info from Lokar, I just remembered...call them...and Good Luck

3. I think you may have another problem. When I first put mine together, it shifted without the cable fine. You can unhook your cable to test it but don't let it go into overdrive and don't go full throttle. Once around the block will answer your question.

4. spare parts

spare parts

Check out Baumann Controls web site,www.becontrols.com,Click on tech scroll down to Performance Guide and go through the AOD section and you'll find lot's of good info including adjusting the TV cable.

5. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

My tranny guy, told me, to never run the car without a cable, "it will burn up the transmission".
    I just ordered one of those Lokar cables. When I looked at the set up, on their web site, it kind of makes sence how the whole thing should work.

6. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Compared to destroying a transmission, the Lokar parts look like a deal. I have them on two of my cars, and it works fine, was easy to install, too.

7. Berky

Berky

I have the Lokar cable on mine and the directions were worthless for adjusting the cable. They tell you to use a special OTC tool to get the correct lash. i still need to get mine right.

8. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Follow the instructions on adjusting the TV cable to the letter. There is no better way of destroying a very good Ford AOD with improper TV adjustment. I worked in a Ford dealership for years as a transmission mechanic and this is an absolute fact.

9. mustangsix

mustangsix

I put an AOD into my Mustang many years ago and it took some time to get it adjusted to my liking. If the TV lever is moved too far, the shifts are delayed and can be harsh. Move it too little and the shifts come too early and are mushy. 4th gear OD is also in full lockup when it engages (no torque converter clutch), so the adjustment will determine how soft or harsh that shift will be.

You have to hook the TV up. Without it the line pressure is too low and you will burn out bands from slippage within a matter of miles. Starting off with too much TV movement is preferable to too little.

What I finally ended up with on mine was a linkage that would move the TV to it's full movement when the throttle was at WOT. At idle, the TV was at it's start point. Then I tightened or loosened until the thing shifted the way I wanted. It took some experimentation but I eventually got it to work pretty nice.

10. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Actually I do not recommend the seat of the pants method. Use a pressure gage and the correct adjusting block and the setting will give you the best shift feel.:)

11. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

How is that exactly done????I really don't want to burn up the trans, because I did not adjust the cable right.
    Any illustrations on how to use a pressure gauge in this instance???

12. mustangsix

mustangsix

There is a pressure port on the left side of the transmission that you can hook a gauge to. It has a 1/8" pipe plug in it. The pressure specs are in the Haynes manual.

Maybe I got lucky, but the trans guy I go to said that as long as the AOD has proportional movement in the TV, you should be ok. It's the guys who don't hook it up at all that have issues.

13. shifts

shifts

OLDSMAN is right on. NO guesswork here. DAVE

14. mustangsix

mustangsix

I bow to the collective wisdom of the H.A.M.B.:)

15. tool guy

tool guy
    from MI

I have a 1992 LX 5.0 mustang with a AOD transmission. I didn;t know what the tv adjustment cable really did, but my trans will not go in to overdrive. I did notice that the tv adjustment cable by the trottle body was not in its place. My question is if that cable is not in right would that make my overdive not go in, and if yes is there a way to fix that problem? Dale

16. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I just did a chassis for a customer that we built the motor and installed the AOD kit from Speedway. This time the trans had a pressure gauge with a remote line to set the trans. I have done this several times using the Lokar cable and always end up using a throttle spring to return it fully. I haul it to my local Ford mechanic without running it so he can adjust it right. I learned the hard way about seat of the pants adjustments!!!

17. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

mine originally would not go into 2nd gear etc i swapped my trans and it shifts now with the lokar set up and used a guage to set up pressure. now sometimes it feels like it goes into neutral in right hand turns or if i let off the throttle then try to start and it seems to slip. i let off the throttle then it is fine.. i swapped out my converter today and will see how it goes. but I bought the lokar cable set up. try clickclickracing.com for more info

18. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Chris, absolutely use a pressure gauge. Get the specs, learn or have it adjusted by the book by someone who knows. I use the Lokar linkage but that in itself is not the answer. I've had two burn up to prove it. I now have it right. One more time-use a gauge.

Also your throttle bellcrank rotation and the tv cable MUST be perfectly equal at all times.

The AOD will burn up within 50 miles. FYI I also added a trans temp gauge to fend off any quick surprises. They are great trans and get a bad rap CAUSE if that adjustment goes…:(

19. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw

For the 2004R, I use a constrant pressure valve body, which eliminates the potential for destroying the trans due to incorrect TV cable adjustment.

http://www.compperformancegroupstor...ore_Code=TC&Product_Code=436020&Category_Code=

Its $239, but it is so much better than the factory VB AND you don't have to worry about the TV cable, which is a giant PITA.

I have a 2004R in my GS and one in my '63 wagon. The GS uses the constant pressure VB, while the one in my wagon is a full-manual with a reverse pattern and ratchet shifter. Just a couple of other options.

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

71buickfreak-Thanks for links. wow, lots to learn

21. sabtaj1

sabtaj1
    from Iowa

How long did the trans sit for before you ran it?? I had the same problem with mine. I went ahead and got the lokar tv cable and it worked very well except the return spring that mounts on the trans is super weak and I would recomend making a bracket and using a weak throttle rreturn spring to pull the cable end back at the trans. I ended up using a gauge to set mine. Where it hooks up to the carb with the throttle blades closed there should be NO slack at the cable end whats so ever. It moves 1 to 1 with the throttle. As for your trans not shifting, it could be a matter of the trans sitting for awhile like mine. Once I got the TV cable hooked up properly It still wouldnt shift. So I just drove it around the block a couple times and then everything started working. I would assume that from sitting the valves may have been sticking in the shift mechanisim. I havent had one problem since. Buy the lokar kit, way cheaper than a new trans. Here are a couple pics I took for someone on here a couple weeks ago. Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

22. bbford

bbford
    from Livonia Mi

My AOD only shift's twice, is it taking off in second gear or is it not going into fourth ? Would that be in the proper adj. procedure .in drive it shift's hard at 2800 RPM'S . Has no ball's at all coming out of the hole.