Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old Rusty . . . a Father/Son '51 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrerHair, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Man, what a great thread. I just sat and read the whole thing. Really inspiring. If your son sticks with this, he will learn a whole lot. Seeing the pictures of him proudly posing with a new rusty project really reminds me of myself as a kid.

[​IMG]

This was me at 16. I only wish I documented the restoration with the same detail you did. Best of luck as you keep going. :D

2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Again, thanks for the encouragement to post the thread. Glad to hear you'll see your '51 through to the finish!
    Jimmy

Thanks.
    Wooden tool boxes? Must have been the '70s :D.

Talking about learning . . . In-laws visiting soon after we started the project. My father-in-law is doing some chore for my wife and asks Billy if we have a Phillips head screwdriver.
    Billy: "Sure, what size?"
    Father-in-law: "Size? Didn't know they came in sizes."
    Billy: "Let me see the screw."
    Billy: "Oh, you need a #2."

3. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

The tool boxes were probably from the 70s ... which I think was also the last time that truck ran. The picture is from 2003 .... I'm a young'in. :D

4. Great build and a great thread!

If your boy is really set on the Caddy lights you might try mounting them as low in the fender as possible ala Pontiacs (better visual transition to the bumper). -Just a thought...

Good on ya for taking on the project with your boy.

-Dave

5. tinmann

tinmann

Welllll.......... I've just read this thread from start to finish. Excellent work and an excellent father and son project. My first car ever (at 13) was a '51 Chevy fordor. At 16 I bought a '51 tudor... drove it seven years later (my dad was not handy with cars). Decades later, I currently I have a '52 tudor (chopped 5", lowered 5") in my stable of projects. I'm a little biased but I like your car. Keep postin'!!!

6. ALLEYKAT1951

ALLEYKAT1951
    from Arizona

Very nice father and son project ....going to start my 38 Chevy project
    with the help of my oldest Grandson soon Merry Xmas!

7. 51chevyrat

51chevyrat

its really good to see that there are still people that takes these old cars that are rusted to the point most wouldnt have them and still make really nice car out of them. just thought id share that great work

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A young'n but a good'n!

Great idea, Dave. I'll try that. Thanks.

Man, you've been at this car build thing a long time!! Thanks.

Thanks . . . we need more pics of your avatar!! Beautiful!! If this was my project only, I'd aim for the tail drag'n skirted '40s look too. Love it.

That's us :). . . thanks.

9. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

Glanced at this thread for just a sec and now an hour or so later I'm gonna be late for work. What an AWESOME thread. I love seeing the "carpenter" ideology you apply to the project. You have alot of really cool ideas while tackling this thing. No doubt I will steal a few of them. Hats off and keep up the good work.

10. fbama73

fbama73

Anyone can slap paint on a Arizona car and call it done. It takes REAL car people to look at a rusty shitbox and say "Yeah, I got this."

11. fitzee

fitzee

Some of us have no choice in the matter!!!

12. if you cross your heart and hope to die that you will never mention 59 caddy tail lights again. i will send you these for the cost of shipping.50 ford....

[​IMG]

13. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Cool Gesture Glendale. That rules. I would like to see those on that Chevy!

Would really make a difference.

14. i really have enjoyed the build so far. and caddy tailights hurt my eyes. so let's save it. hay slamit we need to talk cameras some time..

15. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Hell yeah. Hit me up anytime. And Yeah I am not a Caddy light fan myself. Kinda why I prefer a 60 cad instead!

16. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Appreciate it glendale ! Billy is in love with the caddy lights, they are not overused from his perspective. He does agree,however,that our current setup ain't working. He wants to keep them where they are and recess them so the top of the duct ring is flush with the fender. We'll see that and go from there. Very kind.

And thanks for the input SLAMIT, I'm sure you and glendale are right, the Ford lights would be closer to the heart of cool.:cool:
    Unless you're 17 years old.:)

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the kind words.

Hahaha!! Keep telling yourself that, it might make you feel better. :D

fitzee, you're so deep into the rust bucket, I beleive you are correct! :p

18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wrong forum for solicitation there, Ron. Somewhere along the line you hit the wrong button.
    Please click http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/index.php to un-register from this forum.

19. show your boy this picture.this is rusk here on the hambs car. way better!

[​IMG]

20. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Wow Glendale those lights look bitchin!!!

I was thinking about the 59 caddy taillights...and it hit me...you know, when I was 18 or 19 I thought those were cool, too!

21. robleticia

robleticia

BrerHair, take glendale's offer and talk your son out of those caddy lights! That is a very generous offer that screams cool! However if your son is dead set on the caddy lights, I have seen them half sunk into the top of the fender where the top of the light maintains the curve of the fender and flows alot better. Just fuel for thought. It is his car! Damnit glendale, where were you when I was cutting my fenders??haha!

22. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

Looking good.

23. i have had them for sale on here for a long time with at so much as an offer. i am tired of kicking them around.

24. fitzee

fitzee

I running the 49 Ford taillight as well.I not one for large tail lights and these fit the bill. You can use what you have and try some Pontiac Taillights frenched in the body. 50`s are nice but a 55 would be different and you can use what you have. That caddy lights are a bit much.

25. fitzee

fitzee

Your son want the caddy taillights well try something like this. on the top edge of the quarter. Just a idea!

Attached Files:

• 07.jpg
      07.jpg
      File size:
      65.6 KB
      Views:
  26. roadking41a

roadking41a
    from NC

That has great possibilities

27. swazzie

swazzie

Don't mind me sayin that I am sorta partial to the shoebox tail lights myself but..... I think those caddy tails will look great when they are finished in... swaZZie

28. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

glendale, that did it!! Billy loves this look, plus he is swayed by the fact that nobody said "keep the caddy lights". Really appreciate it, will PM you.

And thanks SLAMIT, robleticia, Johnny1290, roadking41a, Old-Soul, cowboy1, and, of course glendale for standing in the middle of the "classic custom" fork-in-the-road and shouting "Hey, over here, come on over here!" Even a 17 year old has enough repect for the wisdom of the HAMB.

29. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another vote for the shoebox lights!! Thanks swazzie.

30. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

yeah, im with these guys no caddy lights. how about the 50? pontiac lights? the little round ones.