Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs East Coast-West Coast-Like or Not???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRod 50, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

I was born in Detroit, I really don't care either way which coast is the "best".The A Bros showed me how its done.

Elwood

2. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

WOOOO! Wichita!!

3. Billy54

Billy54
    from Houston

Thirdcoast rules.

4. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

Important to say whether you're comparing now or then. Now, good cars come from everywhere. Then, anyone with taste knew the West Coast ruled. East Coast cars had too much add-on tinsel crap on them.

5. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

El Diablo, Thats spanish for like a fighting chicken, right?

6. Black with red flames.......don't like it at all! hahaha!

East coast guys have a different take on things. I'm not gonna say the West Coast look is better,just different. I'd love to visit the other coast and browse around the car events and shops.

7. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Are we talking about the east or west coast of Florida?

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I came across a box of old VHS tapes from the 80's showing some east coast sleds.

overchopped, dummy spots, ugly cruiser skirts, continental kits with 2-3 foot extensions off the back and flame throwers were the look of the day. if you think the 80's were bad on the west coast, you ain't seen nothing.

the East Coast has come a long way since then.

9. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Morrison said it best, The West is the Best! Period! end all! and I live here in the the East! Born in Ca. so I'm not really bias

10. Deuces

Deuces

........... The west coast has the sunshine and the girls all get so tan.....

11. Gator

Gator

hahaha

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That thing is not an example of East Coast. It's purely a rodent. Don't try to lump a bunch of us in with that thing.

13. Truckedup

Truckedup

Yeah and skin like lizards when they get older.

14. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Needs whitewalls,remove the silly flames,ditch the skull it aint helloween,remove the bullets from the hubcaps,it aint the army.This screams east coast rat rod.Go to riksters site and see how it can be done.Leave the goofyness back on the east coast

15. dave s

dave s

i grew up in colorado, and was mostly influenced by "west coast" asthetics. now that i live on the east coast, ive realized (for the most part) "east coast custom" translates into "bolt tacky chrome shit to your car"

although, i have seen some stellar customs and no chop/heavy channel hotrods with the eastcoast asthetic here...

I think no matter where you live, a few people are going to have no taste and build ugly shit.......

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  16. Deuces

Deuces

Sure about that???

17. well im in ohio so i guess im mid-west whatever that means the car pictured has a way too busy flame job, and not a big fan of the grille and i nusually dont say this but it needs to be brought down in the front at least 2 inches

it looks more "ratty" then what id call custom

18. I agree !! I been around for a while and find there is good and bad all over, same with peoples attitudes and opinions. Just some want to feel more important.:rolleyes:

19. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

Why is this car the example? just like any other car, some guys will love it, others will talk shit no matter what coast its on. i think if any modifications are done tastefully, you cant go wrong. skulls, webs, and flames? they aint for everybody. but i got em all on my wagon. there just not in your face. i have had guys from the west coast tell me i was on the wrong coast cause my car doesn't look like an east coast car. thought that was kinda funny. to each his own. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

20. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I'll quote myself here.

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'll help out.

[​IMG]

I'm not digging it... not what I would call an example of West Coast either.

22. I don't like either one of them.

23. Sauli

Sauli

Actually I like the Chevy, only thing I´d change about it (if it were mine), is I´d put the original grille back in, and lose the "spikes" on the hubcaps. The grille I think would help make the car more recognizable and thus amplify the effect of his top-chop. I like the flow on the roof and the fact he actually kept the original back window. The flames, while somewhat "generous" still look parallel and proportionate to the lines and dimensions of the actual car. Although I´m really not a fan of much anything "shaved" and/or flat black, I´d have to commend the guy on the fact he had the good sense to stick with his presumed effort of "streamlining" and not go adding on the "usual" 900 lbs of visual weight in the form of every skirt, scoop, tube and whatever gadget in the catalog at the same time.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  24. Kenny P

Kenny P

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

East coast - You mean continental kits, six port lakes pipes, mulitiple antenea with fox tails and mag wheels with wide whites?! AAARRRGGG!!!
    Actually, having spent my time bouncing back and forth from Phoenix to L.A. as a car guy, skater, music snob, etc., I find the East coast look kinda hard to look at. Kinda snobby I know, but it's just different than where my mind goes. That said, there is good stuff that comes from both ends of the spectrum, and bad as well. About ten years ago, I spent the better part of two years on the Eastern seaboard from Rhode Island to Virginia for work. I loved the history, most of the people (even New Yorkers - when you figure them out!). But when it came time to go to car shows, they were always much smaller than what I was used to, and just strangly different. You never see just cars running around out there that are modified. Out here, 70 year old aunt Sally doesn't leave the lot until it has pin stripes and aluminum wheels! Also was hard for me to find food. I know it sounds silly, but everything back there is so bland when you are used to the hottest and best Mexican food on the planet as a steady diet. I used to end up home sick quite a bit... And dear god don't even start me on the back down tail dragger kinda look!

26. The Situation's ride?
    Yuk

27. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

You had trouble finding food in NYC ? ? ?

28. Yep!
    [​IMG]

29. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Still laughing about this reply days later :D

30. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

Good and bad out of both.