Register now to get rid of these ads!

Previous owner bitching

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dr_X, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

I once had a posi rear end for a 62 Vette and I was trying to sell it for around $300-$400. This lawyer guy came to my shop and started bragging about how he got engine stamps to restamp a motor to make his vette "numbers matching". The rear end I had was exactly what he needed for his car.

He looked it over, never asking me my price, and offered me $800 cash for it which I gladly accepted. About two weeks later he stumbled across an ad I had posted for the rear end at $400. He called me demanding a refund and threatened me with legal action if I didn't give him a refund.

I told him that would be okay but I was going to expose his "numbers matching" car. I never heard from him again.

The moral to this story is the age old adage "Caveat Emptor" which works both ways.

Congratulations on our exceptional deal.

Joe

2. On the selling side, I always use the same line as the money is changing hands...just did it with my daughter's CJ7..........

"I have told you everything that I know that is wrong with this car, but when you hit the starter, if the engine falls out...you need to figure out how to get your engine out of my yard.

3. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Great subject.Just yesterday bumped into a guy with this brain ailment.I restored a 135 class hydro with a alky v8 6o engine,Mag,two 97s offythis and that etc.This boat was passed around and was in storage with a boat club.Club and ,Storage people said if no one wants it they were going to crush it and throw it the dumpster.
    I said sure.After two years and 6-7grand it was finished.Soon after that we were moving and lots of stuff needed to go.The boat sold first and fast.Everyone in the antique boat crowd knew it was for sale but no one stepped up including first owner-driver.All the time restoring I asked first guy for advise etc and he never said a word.till after it was gone and then he flipped out and said I had no right selling and it belong to him.He had given it to someone about 15 years before I got it and it passed hands several times,never leaving the area.
    Well fellow I sold it to died a short time after he bought it.It has sat at his house and never made it in the water.His family contacted me but I dont want it.So yesterday I say first gut and told him if he wants I will give him the info.Right away he went into a angry rant about it in front of a hugh crowd.This guy has been pissed off????? for 15 years.I did the right thing,the first guy has millions and this would be coffee money to him.I not real sure I should give him contact info because he will most likely pull some crap with sellers.I dont get it.Why be such a dick???

4. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

My best comparable tale is that I traded a 47 Willys 2wd wagon with a noisy rod (4cyl) to a neighbor that wanted to rebuild the engine and use the vehicle for his mobile HAM radio station. He had a neighbor (big time inboard V8 boat racer) help him pull the engine, they gave it to some kid who worked at a machine shop to hot tank, bore, turn the crank, etc. They bought new pistons, new bearings, and everything else, assembled it in Mr Boat Racer's garage, and then re-installed it. Gee...wouldn't turn over by hand on their engine stand, wouldn't turn over with a 12V battery ( I had converted it to 12V w/alt), nor with a 24V jump. They towed it up and down the street (with a rope/chain) and just left lots of back tire rubber on the pavement. Neighor had traded me a beautiful 1947 Volvo 444 for the Jeep, and he came over to bitch about what a raw deal he got. I had been watching their circus for the afternoon and asked if they checked to make sure that the center main (easily reversed) was installed properly (there is a factory arrow on it) as if you put it in backwards, it puts pressure against the nearest crank throw and will not permit the engine to turn. He straightened me out about how he and Mr Boat Racer did not just fall off of the turnip truck. I offered to trade him a nice Ruger .22 9-shot single action pistol I had if and when he got tired of pulling the poor vehicle up and down the street. After about three days, he came over and agreed to take the pistol and give me back my beautiful Willys with the brand-new (but non-rotating) banger. I produced the pistol and a one-piece trade agreement for him (and myself) to sign, grabbed a small toolbox and a drain pan, walked over to his house, dropped the pan, switched the center cap, reinstalled the pan (I was careful with the gasket), poured oil in it, and fired it up - drove out of HIS driveway and over to MINE. He was so pissed, demanding that I take the pistol back....give him the Willys back....all kinds of stuff. I reminded him that I had provided every opportunity for him to do exactly what I had just done....he did not speak to me for nearly a year, except as absolutely necessary.

dj

5. 94hoghead

94hoghead

feed em fish heads...

6. ScottV

ScottV

In kinda the reverse to that, I sold my O/T road runner for exactly what I was asking to a dealer/flipper in Texas. The only thing he did to it was pick it up, take it to his ranch in Texas, take photo and post them on the interenet. 10 days later he sold it for $6800 more than he paid me for it. A bunch of people (including my wife whom cried when it left) said "Aren't you pissed he did that ?" I said No, I got exactly what I was asking, why would/should I be pissed ??!!??

7. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I wouldn't stop flipping cars right now if I were the OP. It looks like you're having good luck.

I wouldn't worry about what the previous owner says. You paid what he was asking, so who is he to bitch at you? He should be bitching at himself for letting it go too cheaply.

Even if you haggled him down, it was still his decision to sell. No one put a gun to his head.

8. Deuces

Deuces

That's what I thought... :):D

9. Deuces

Deuces

Cool beans!! :)

10. ETwagon

ETwagon
    from Arizona

There are plenty of jerks like this to go around. "The world owes me" bunch. They want the higest dollar for everything from their half assed work ethic at a job, to cars, boats, motorcycles, etc. that they are to lazy to even wash.:mad:

This spilled over to housing during the silly run up of prices to the moon. Junk houses the owner was too lazy to mow the lawn or haul off crap off the property much less repair and paint even the simplest of items. Yet wanting top dollar, then whine when it didn't sell or would have to reduce the price.

11. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

back when I was in high school a good friends father traded in his chevy luv pickup that ran fine to a chevy dealer on a new truck. 2 weeks later the dealer called him saying that the head gasket was blown on the luv and they wanted him to pay for the repair!!!? he told them to get f-ed and never went back.

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

This is an old thread. Is the seller still complaining? Don't let it bother you.

13. Screw that guy. sounds like a cry baby.....by the way was his name Janet?

14. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

As to your statement you might be done flipping for a while.... No effin way man. I,ve never been so unhappy making money I was gonna quit doing it.

15. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

I LOVE doing that, so far I’ve drove 15 so called broken down cars home right after I bought them, just fixed the $12 problem and drove it home. Like the 98 suburban I bought for $300, it had a heater core that just spewed coolant, and they said I’d have to trailer it home. hahaha, I just paid em, popped the hood, rerouted the hose, filled the radiator, and took the fuck off, they where all SORTS of pissed off.
    <O:pfuck em.

16. ok so you turned a sow's purse into a silver lining-good for you ,too too bad for him

17. Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

This reminds me of the previous owners that scower craigslist and post up ads like "DONT BUY XXXXX CAR OR TRUCK HE ONLY PAID 500 NOW IS SELLING FOR 1500" when they see you selling their old car after you've fixed it up. Sure I paid 500$ and Im selling it for 1500$, its got 500$ in new parts and 20 hours of labor into it. Parts arent free and my time isnt free, why shouldnt I be asking more then I paid?

18. the only time this happened to it was a friend and 25 years later he still drags it up.

I had a 38 ford pick up that had a 289 and C-4. I paid 100 bucks for it a drove it home. I put some wheel and tires, new glass and $150 paint job on it. My buddy wanted it bad (so did I) I told him 1200 bucks and it was his.

He had a newer car for sale in his front yard for 3 months and kept telling not to sell my truck before he sold his car ( no problem, I didn't want to sell it)

One summer day (a saturday) drinking to much I told him to give his keys and title and he could have my truck. (I still don't know I said that) I drove his off topic car home. next morning seeing that late model POS in my drive way made me puke (it might have been the booze)

Nice sunday I got out there hand rubbed it out with a light compound and paste wax. cleaned the intertor with some simple green . polished the chrome, washed all the windows and dash. about 15 hours of detail. and a couple bucks at the 25 cent car wash under the hood. drove it to work and sit it out front on a busy street. I sold it for $2800 before noon

I thought if I got 2500 it would double my money. the old boy (I was younger then) that bought it for his grand son was amazed at it's show room condition and paid full pop. $1600 for 15 hours work. I should go into the detail business hahaha

anyway my buddy didn't think it was funny and thought i should split my winnings. now thats funny! I don't care who you are.
    Jim

19. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

If that's enough to make you stop flipping cars, then I agree you should stop. You're going to need a thicker skin or you're going to get your feelings hurt quite a bit.

I like how it was stated before- "idiot tax"

You did nothing wrong.

20. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

crap.all this time i had this bass ackwards:rolleyes:

21. I miss the good old days .. No one ever gets punched in the nose anymore!!

22. Laugh and hang up

23. mj40's

mj40's

Happens at swap meets all the time on venders set up day.

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

25. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Fuck Him!!....Let me guess, it was somebody from Kenosha!

26. dawg

dawg

fuck him if he can't take a joke... :D

27. HotRodMetal

HotRodMetal
    from USA

I had a friend buy a 67 mustang new at a dealership. It was priced at a regular list price. He bought it, and got it home & the dealer called to get the car back.

It was a 67 mustang gt500kr. It was priced wrong, and my friend knew it.

Tell the guy to pound sand! You took the risk, and are getting the rewards!

28. fuzzface

fuzzface

Just wait till the opposite happens. When the guy that brought the vehicle from you finds out how much you actually paid. They bitch just as bad. Oh well

29. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

As we used to say in the schoolyard: "No backsies"

30. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Screw him...Good for you!