Register now to get rid of these ads!

Door glass-1 piece conversion in '53 Chevy truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by orula, Oct 17, 2010.

1. orula

orula

Hello guys, please I need some advice. I'm going to replace on my '53 Chevy truck my old door glass with vent glass and install 1 piece door glass without vent such as models '47 to '50. Where do I set the glass channel on the front door? Is a very difficult job? I already ordered all the parts necessary for the conversion of the old windows and I opted for the new glass with chrome frame,window regulator,guide channel,
    anti-rattle kit ecc.Many thanks to all for your help. Orula (Frank64)

2. adriancyt

adriancyt

I am trying to do the same thing, any news or pic??

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago most guys just swapped the doors and were done with it. To do it right you will have to find the window moldings from a 47/50 as the 51 and later ones had a spot cut out for the vent window to fit into. Otherwise you will have a gap there.

67Mal likes this.
  4. orula

orula

Many thanks guys

5. Also try and get the regulators too.

Best option though is to try and find a good set of pre-51 doors. JMO

6. orula

orula

You're right 50scotbolt but I live in Italy and here there are no parts available for American cars :). Today I received the new seals (from ClassicParts) and I'm trying crare new guides. Reviewed to understand just how do you upload a few photos. Many thanks

7. dropped53

dropped53
    from Hanford CA

8. orula

orula

9. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I can't offer any tips because I don't have an AD truck, but I love vent vindows. When I had my late model Dodge Diesel, I hated not having vent vindows.

10. Rick S

Rick S

I did this to my '52. Basically, you need to cut the wing window support out and add a new glass channel to the hinge side of the door. I used another set of '52 glass channels and just flipped them around (left door channel installed on right door and right door channel installed on left door) along with a couple brackets I made. The earlier style window regulators are different as are the inside door pieces...so it's easier just to add power units. I cut an access panel in the door to make it easier to install everything and make adjustments as needed. I installed the glass channels, new felt guides and power window motors along with new tinted glass. The access panel bolts back on and will be covered with a door panel. I also filled in the small notch in the inside garnish molding that was there for the wing window. Since you are going with the glass with the chrome frame, make sure you get the larger window felt (47-50) for thicker glass. The first three pictures show the LH door, last two show the RH door.
    Good luck.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  11. orula

orula

Many many thanks Rick_S, you gave me a great help with these pictures and this important explanation. Now I'm arranging everything I need, just finish the work I post photos. Thanks again.

12. adriancyt

adriancyt

I am going to post some pic from my conversion. I decide to use the glass without the frame, for two reason. One, I like the look better and second, is cheaper.
    1. you need 4 lower rear door edge glass guide ($12 each, 51-55)
    2. 2 door glass ($36 each, 47-50)
    3. 1 door window wipes ($28 pair, 47-50), comes the inner and outer wipe.
    4. 2 window felt. You need approx 90" for each door. They don't sell it as a kit, so I got the door window felt and glass run kit ($82 51-55). Also you are going to need an extra 2 window division bar insert ($23 each 51-55). I found later a place that sell the window felt, I will post the place later. So you don't' have to buy the felt kit, because you need to do some fabrication.
    All the price is from car and trucks in orange california.
    5. 2 brackets for the front edge glass guide, you need to fabricate that.

This is the door window felt and glass run kit ($82 51-55). I just bought this kit to have an idea what I am dealing with. Later I found out a place that sells the felt individually, I think is better because you don't have to fabricate the felt run. You will see it later. Here is their web www.restorationspecialties.com, go to catalog page 9 ($32 part# 10-G 96")
    [​IMG]

You need 4 lower rear door edge glass guide, 2 right door and 2 left door.
    [​IMG]

Cut the vent support
    [​IMG]

Install the rear side first, the finger points a reference so when you install the front side is at the same height.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Take it out and
    [​IMG]

cut the little tongues
    [​IMG]

Mark and drill holes, 2.5 from the edge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the part you make the front guide brackets, to support it
    [​IMG]

Put it on place
    [​IMG]

Install the glass and the felt channel and try to push the edge glass guide to the glass, so is tight. Them mark the holes
    [​IMG]

I hope you see the marks, then drill it
    [​IMG]

This is from the other side, but you get the idea. Try to make the hole more in the middle. This was the first, and was actually a little up
    [​IMG]

Now everything is in position. Before you put the felt, you have to compensate the size of the glass. Because I am using the glass only, no metal frame around, the sides are going to be a bit small. To compensate this you need to use washers or spacers. I used 2 in the front and 1 in the back edge channel
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  13. adriancyt

adriancyt

You don't need to fabricate this if you get the felt channel run from www.restorationspecialties.com or other place that sell it. You need 90" approx. This part is the felt kit.
    [​IMG]

This is the bottom part from the previous pic. This is the window division bar insert, it come with the kit. But you need and extra pair, because you can use it for one only.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used this stud welder that I had it for long time, pretty good
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final setting
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The corners
    [​IMG]
    will raise the channel to make it fit better
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I ordered some window regulators to finish the project, when I get it will post more pic. Have fun Orula

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  14. adriancyt

adriancyt

15. orula

orula

Hi Adriancyt,with these photos made me a beautiful Christmas present :).
    Many many many thanks. Thanks to your post now I can continue my project, you have been a great help to me, I was in serious trouble :). You did a great job, congratulations and thanks again. When I finished my glass conversion also will post my photos. See you soon and Merry Christmas to all.:)

16. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Is this place great or what?....I'm amazed every time I log on....

dj

17. adriancyt

adriancyt

Merry Christmas to all.......

18. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Holy moley awesome pics!

Believe it or not, this is a big help for me too....but I'm converting my '51 Ford from 1 pc to vents!

When does the first issue of the HAMB magazine come out, because this place can be a lot better than the car mags I get now.

What a pleasant surprise, thanks man!

19. orula

orula

Merry Christmas and Happy new year to you all

20. orula

orula

For those interested in seeing pictures of the work to the frame of my '53 Chevy Truck can look for this topic: How to lower my 53 Chevy truck? in Hokey Ass Message Board. I would be happy if I could help some of you. If you have any questions go ahead, I will answer with pleasure.

21. I see your point Orula,I've got the same problem here, but it looks like 'the guys' have saved the day!

Hope you had a great Christmas!

22. adriancyt

adriancyt

I member ask me to fabricate the brakets for him, so I wil post pic of the fabrication in detail for everybody, coming soon.

23. orula

orula

Hello guys,here I am.Today I want to post some pictures of my work to go to the 1 piece door glass. I hope to be helpful with my work,I have worked hard over the holidays.

I prepared all the things I need to buy the door glass conversion kit from ClassiParts (MO) and the door glass channels are long and 90 ". I chose to install the glass with chrome frame because I like to see the chrome part so I could not use the door glass channels guide as did our friend Adriancyt but I had to forge for myself.

From a retailer I bought a bar of iron U-1 "x1" about 20 feet long and I cut the right size for the Door glass channels guide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. orula

orula

I continue with the processing of the rear channels guides

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I built these guides by copying the original model

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I created a slot for the screw

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Through this hole the screw will be thick and will not give any trouble to the door glass channels

25. orula

orula

Now step to the realization of the front bracket starting with a piece of iron box and cut in half

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After cutting to size bracket I welded a bracket on it another 90 degrees and then create holes for fixing

[​IMG]

This is the result photographed from two angles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the door step to drilling

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you can understand the position I found to the front guide

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. orula

orula

[​IMG]

Even for fixing the guide at the top I created a loop for the screw

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the finished product

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow will post more photos on installing the window regulator but to see the work completely finished it will take another few months, the truck will be painted, and only then I can put it back together. Please, if you need any clarification please feel free to ask questions, will be a pleasure to answer you. Thanks to all

27. orula

orula

To install the glass one must cut the support of the vent glass

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the passage is free

[​IMG]

This is the procedure I used for the installation of window regulator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope the work I've done you like it, I tried to do my best :). If you have questions or suggestions please do not hesitate to contact me. Many thanks. Frank orula

28. 454navyss

454navyss

cool "how to" thread.

29. adriancyt

adriancyt

Excellent work, congratulation.