Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pharouh, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Pharouh

Pharouh

2. Abomb

Abomb

Here you go, so ya don't have to click the link....BTW, I know nothing about them, but they're kinda cool looking.

"Always the innovator, Dick marketed the "Dot Rod" kit car using the chassis and power train from a Datsun. The information packet sold for $10 and gave instructions on building a glass or steel '32-'34 Ford. If it was built correctly, this is how it looked."

[​IMG]

3. Pharouh

Pharouh

Guess I shoulda done that. Thanks!

4. Crankshaft

Crankshaft

Long time ago I was trying to find the same information, so I wrote Dick Dean and asked if he still had a copy. A month later, I got this in the mail with a great note wishing me good luck in building my own. This was in the 90's, long after the Dotrod info was available. Dick died in 2008; good guy all around.

Attached Files:

5. slider's house of kustoms

slider's house of kustoms
    from idaho

Crankshaft: This may not be everybody's cup of tea.... but thank you for sharing. WOW what a cool pdf.!!!!! thanks....

6. slider's house of kustoms

slider's house of kustoms
    from idaho

"dot rodding is imagination" what a great line! and copywrite'n the year i was born!

7. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

There is a story by Tom Medley on the DotRod in Hot Rod/Rod & Custom Annual #2 from 1977. Cover pic below.

Dean looked at the Datsun mini-truck chassis and decided it was about the right size for a 32 body. The front frame horns were fabricated from scratch to resemble original 32 chassis. Lots of other custom fab work needed, too.

The body was channeled over the chassis at a time when channeled cars were way out of fashion; probably to hide the chassis origins. The front torsion bar suspension and A-arms hung out in the open.

The car ran the Datsun1952cc engine, though the article states Dean thought the chassis would be stout enough for a V8, as it was boxed from the factory.

Attached Files:

8. I have that issue and remember reading the article.