Register now to get rid of these ads!

Zinc ad. and Conventional Oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigalow1, Dec 22, 2010.

1. bigalow1

bigalow1
    from 496 C.I.

Does anybody use good conventional motor oil and ad Zinc? ZDDP I think.
    If so what addative and where can I get it.???/
    I've always used Wolfshead or Castrol conventional oil. Sure would be nice if I could spend $4.oo a quart for 10 qaurts of Conventional vs $9.00 a quart for10 quarts of Synthetic

2. Yes. Many of us do.

Run a quick search here, been discussed a ton. GM sells a version. Also look in the Alliance Vendor list, a couple oil suppliers there. :)

Vendor list, ZDDPlus is at the bottom, Joe Gibbs Oil is there as well. Also look at Restoration Supply.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?page_id=176

3. M.Edell

M.Edell

I use the Additive from Comp Cams they sell here at Vic Hubbard Speed and Marine Hayward

4. To add to my previous reply, I use Lucas Products. Really happy with them. Not just the additives.

5. Yes, I just use good everyday oil and either redline or lucas engine breakin additive.

6. bigalow1

bigalow1
    from 496 C.I.

I did not mean to be redundent. I have searched in the past and their seems to be several schools of thought.This is why I am using Royal Purple. BUT I was reading again, and I found an article that said you can't use synthetic on a new motor because your rings will not seat-WTF
    My brother keeps telling me reading is for losers and maybe he is right???kidding
    any thoughts on the ring seat issue, chrome molly rings, and synthetic?

7. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I'm glad someone brought this up again, I need to start running this in the off topic '90 Lincoln, still has pushrods like every other 302 before it, runs too nice to have it screwed up by some stupid government mandate to change the oil :mad:

8. HammerDown

HammerDown

9. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

thanks, and don't forget about Brad Penn oil

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

11. I use Valvoline Racing Oil it has zinc in it!

12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Also Motorcraft 15W40 diesel is 1335ppm ZDDP,available at Autozone or Wal-Mart $16 for a 5 qt jug use it in my '84 302 with flat tappet cam no problems,I always have used ISKY cam lube for break in the last 40 years and never a failure.

13. chubbie

chubbie

I add the ZDDP to my oil, when do you find out if it works?:confused:

14. I got the Brad Penn racing oil from the Oil Warehouse. Like $62 with delivery for a case of 12--one of the better prices I found online, and it showed up quick from UPS. No complaints.

http://theoilwarehouse.com/page/1hu7y/Home.html

Get the4 "Racing Oil"--i.e. "The Green Stuff". If you just get normal Brad Penn, it's completely different non ZDDP stuff.

Brad Penn is from Bradford Pennsylvania (hence the name), and is the old Kendall Oil resurrected.

15. bigalow1

bigalow1
    from 496 C.I.

Its expensive trying to run Syn in all the runners, plus I read with synthetic its great unless you forget to change it?? After a period of time Syn lubrication qualities drop of a lot qiucker than a good conventional oil will????TRUE??? (there I went I was reading again)

I am going to try theMotorCraft Diesel Oil in my Van and Truck

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I always break in with conventional oil. If it's gonna run synthetic switch at the first oil change. Had some issues with some race bikes breaking in on synthetic and have never had a problem this way.

17. alterbob

alterbob
    from Butler,Pa.

Brad Penn has Break -in oil TOO!!!! works great

18. rottenrod

rottenrod

I too was taught to use conventional for break in. I wouldn't use synthetic for the first few oil changes

19. 19Fordy

19Fordy

STP in the blue bottle has zinc in it.

20. Point is, read EVERYTHING and weed out the bad info. THings are changing fast and info that was posted last year "may not" be accurate now. Such as off the shelf oild having as much sulpher and zinc, even the diesel truck oils like Rotella are changing.

21. Ive have been using this in my car but i was told you have to change more often than regular motor oil and that its not realy made for long trips!Is this true?

22. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

That's the problem................you have to read about the oil each time you buy it, and hope what you're reading is up-to-date. PITA!!

23. Unfortunately yes, I trust the smaller player like Lucas, Torco, Brad Penn, Penrite and Royal Purple more than the bigger brands. Believe me, we are not teh only ones talking about this, the Diesel Pickup folks are hotrodders in their own right and this topic is near and dear to their hearts!

24. 69fury

69fury

bobistheoilguy.com

here is all the info you'll ever need. in fact, there's too much there. nevermind, you'll hurt your brains trying to weed through it all.
    VERY knowledgeable guys there, engineers in all fields, ferrari owners that send there used oil to labs for samples and compare bearing wear, etc....

rick

25. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

correct, the synthetic oil has so little friction, that the rings don't want to seat, and nothing wants to wear in right, break in is one of the few times when friction is your friend, well other then slamming on the brakes when the soccer mom driving the bus sized SUV cuts you off, but that's a different topic :D

26. mj40's

mj40's

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

Just because its Royal Purple don't think all their oils have a high level of ZDDP in it. Only their racing oil has it.

28. bigalow1

bigalow1
    from 496 C.I.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAN!!!:eek: I thought I had it all sewn up with Royal Purple,
    I have a Mech Flat tappet cam in my RB 440 with maybe 25 miles .

The next post with a recomendation on what motor oil to use in a Mech flat tappet cam motor I will live and die with..(except for Crisco)Then I will never read or start another motor oil thread again I-promise

29. i put in zddp and lucas with 15-40 diesel oil which already has some zinc and other goodies in it for flat tappets. just google zddp for their website and check it out.

30. T Achilli

T Achilli
    from walworth

just ordered a couple cases of lubriplate 10 w 30 was told this has all the additives from engine buider.........any one use this before