Register now to get rid of these ads!

mo' doors = mo' fun?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fast41, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Four-doors have really grown on me. This summer I finally let my old pickup go, because I really wanted a car.

[​IMG]

I fell in love with this one. The price was way too good to pass up. This car is my daily driver now. Daily driving means the pace of work will be slow ... but soon enough the car will look like my photoshop mockup ...

[​IMG]

And yes, I am shaving all four door handles! :)

2. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

HA! Couldnt have said it better myself.

3. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

the man was right in what he said back in the day if you drove a more door it was your parents car or a family member gave it to them,but old cars were more plentiful back then. today i just think drive what u like and can afford. i think it just takes some one with above average talent to make a more door that stands out. my 2 cents

4. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

update on my wagon from page 12

[​IMG]

5. bobjob55

bobjob55

so,,,, you are a cookie cutter car guy ....your car looks just like every body else ,,, and you live in a tract house painted just all your neighbors .... BOY ,, YOU MUST BE A BORING UPTIGHT DUDE !!!!!!

6. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

Dude! Your Chevy rocks!!! Thats the coolest '56 I think I have ever seen, four door or not!!!! I love it!!!:cool:

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've never gone looking for 4-doors, but have had lots of exposure to them. (customers' cars) However, my wife and I were at the last Springtime meet at the Merced fairgrounds, ('04) and we were taken with a black '32 Four Door (full fendered, black Kelseys, black tires) Fresno car. Wow! The proportions were astounding, we stared at its side view dimensions for minutes on end. Just beautiful! Quarter windows and beltline were soooo shapely it was mezmorizing! Its low stance compliments it, perfect height.
    I have thought about that car, it has haunted me.
    A lifelong pal emailed me with pics of a 'new project' last March. He said "It's a Four Door, you probably wouldn't like it, but I can set it up with modern chassis work underneath, original patina on the body, and haul Grandkids to some of the rod runs."
    I liked the idea, his work is meticulous. Actually, I was quite drawn to the car.
    It's a '47 Ford 4-dr., and I have had '46-'48 Ford Coupes, '48 Merc convert, and a favorite '46 Ford Tudor sedan. I looked hard at the pics...This car has character, and could be massaged into a real head turner! (Hey, it's one of my favorite years...wish it was mine!) And I was again remembering that black '32 4-dr.
    Last Monday night, my friend emailed me with an offer I couldn't refuse! Deal of the Century! He offered me the '47 Four Door if I would finish it. What??? Are you serious???
    I am going to pick it up Tuesday...I am thrilled. Yesterday I went out and pulled parts from my Ford inventory...Two 15" Ford F1 steel centers, 2 Buick outer rims, 2 F1 steel fronts, shiny black, 'natch.
    A set of '46 Ford passenger caps, with single ripple trim rings...
    Dago axle, reversed & flattened front spring. Prepare for front cross member surgery.
    It will follow the mental picture I have of that '32, but with '47 skin.
    My friend has thrilled me right down to the ground. And that takes a lot...

8. robleticia

robleticia

Wow! Beautiful car!

9. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

This is the one I'm working on now.....

[​IMG]

10. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

All this thread proves is that not every idea is a good one, not every idea is bad.
    Early on, I drove 4 doors.
    I had a 51 Pontiac that I lowered 4 inches in the back and heated coils in front.
    Loved the stance, but I will NEVER heat coils again. However that Pontiac cornered like a magic carpet.
    My first nearly new car was a 4 door 59 Impala. It was 283 Powerglide, but was an exceptional runner for a small cubic inch low compression head car.
    All I did to it was put on dual glass packs and fender skirts, and changed the wheel covers.
    It took a strong 327 to get buy it.
    Some 4 doors look pretty good when light custom touches are provided.
    Some two doors are butt ugly.
    The number of doors do not make as much difference as the amount of thought and execution that are put into the project.
    Any project, no matter how severe takes commitment and willingness to see it through to completion.
    There is a point in any project where if you go beyond, it is too much.
    Some get That Just Right point and some just do not get it at all.

11. neverwinter

neverwinter

i have almost zero car knowledge - and even if i did my opinion about others' opinions really means nada - but for me, i like the look of 2 door muscle cars and old 50's rods look great to me as 2 or 4 doors. i am fortunate enough to have a 67 dart gt (i know its not HAMB material) but i traded a bike i built for it and did as much work on it as i could including driveline swap, all new front/rear suspension, patch welds, blah blah. My point - that experience led me to wanting another project.

I found what i feel is great car from a member on here - my 55 buick special 4 door. With a 2.5 year old and possibly another on the way i cant wait to get the car running. My goal is to let my daughter "paint" it each year till she gets bored - i can save for paint and do body work until then! I have my bikes for my solitary fun - i hope that the car(s) will be an ongoing source of family fun. My younger days liked always-solitude. My father days want to share everything with my kid. the 4 door works great for me!

12. Mike662

Mike662

Plenty of room for friends!!

Attached Files:

13. Scott F.

Scott F.

My car. Work in Progress.

Attached Files:

14. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

this is a buddies '66 checker. tell me it isnt cool! its not a prop either...

[​IMG]

15. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

both cool cars above. here's another '57 4 door I found.
    [​IMG]

16. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

This is ours. Cheap, reliable, entirely original. This was 'Bettie" this summer after my boyfriend first purchased it. We're currently in the process of stripping it down and making some small customizations. We love it to peices! She gets attention wherever she goes..even among the 2 door fest car shows. The stories that this car breaks out of the old timers and the memories she provokes is enough to make us happy to own and drive it :)
    47949_807381254421_9033825_46257853_5509497_n.jpg

17. I was hoping this thread would pop-up soon, There's some sweet 4 doors in this thread, might not be everyone's cup of tea, but some of these cars are just plain bad ass!! Here's my 4 door, not sure if I posted it here yet or not.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Here's mine as it sits now. Some changes are on the way after the Holidays.

Attached Files:

19. Left Hand Jan

Left Hand Jan
    from Hades

This is awesome!
    Anyone who thinks 4-doors can't be 'true' rods is an idiot who should not be allowed to breed!

20. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Wow, I thought I was passionate about cars, but eugenics has never entered into the equation for me.

-Dave

21. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

This is my personal opinion on the 4 door/2 door matter:

I understand why many people prefer the traditional 2 doors over the 4 doors for hot rods, customs, and restorations...it's tradition. Back in "those days" the teens wanted the sportier models and the 4 doors were a symbol of a "family mobile". They didn't want something that resembled mom and pop's car. With that being said; times have changed. Whether you want to admit it or not. Two doors are still sleek and bad ass and highly sought after. They have been the cars of choice and many folks on this forum think 4 doors are good for nothing but parts and scrap metal: and thats fine too. To each their own.

I think what many people have failed to realize is this "hobby" isn't just about fearing being caught in mom's car anymore like it once was. Sure it dawned in those ages from 2 doors (I'm sure there was some pretty nice 4 doors back then too!!) but hot rodding, customizing and restoring classic/vintage automobiles doesn't just revolve around that "far" anymore.

Whether you're working on a 2 door or 4 door we can all stand on level ground and agree that hot rodding, customizing, and restoring these cars is an ART. A hot rod or custom or restoration project for the hobbiest (not the guy looking to make money off this hobby) is a representation of the builder, owner, and driver. Each person has their own preference for the vehicle they are working on. Some may own a four door because they inherited it or because they have fond memories of that car back in the day, some own them because they like the look and the extra space, etc. Many dislike them because they are not "traditional hot rods", they are big, "they mess up the lines of the car", or whatever reason they don't prefer them. The main reason why people dont like the 4 doors is because they are not the "norm". And that's fine too. Remember, this "hobby" is all about CHOICE! You chose what you want to drive, what you want to do with it, etc.

I personally love to go to car shows and I could care less whether the cars i'm viewing have 2 doors or 4 doors. I'm there to look at U.S. Automotive history and the extroadinary work put into the cars....or the barn finds too! I don't understand why people get in such a tizzy with eachother over 2 doors vs. 4 doors. The bottom line is that they are both no longer in production and are peices of American history and will one day be equally as rare as their counterpart. Just because you personally do not prefer a 4 door does not make it wrong for another person to chose to restore, hot rod or customize a four door. I dont understand why its so difficult for people to stand on common ground with this issue. We're all in this "hobby" for the love of these cars (whatever they may be), the history and stories involved with them, and the passion and hard work that goes into preserving and/or building them.

I respect everyone's choice to drive and build what they want. They may not all be to my personal choice but who's to say whats right and whats wrong? The bottom line is that everyone should respect and honor eachothers hard work involved with these rods, customs, and restorations.

I know our choice of a four door vs two wasn't about the popularity contest. We found our plymouth off of craigslist. We knew we wanted something sleek but in great shape. the plymouth had 22K orig miles on, all original and zero rot. the only rust was minor surface rust. we wanted a GREAT slate to start with and for the money, the plymouth 4 door was our choice. Sure; we thought the car wasn't going to get that much attention at the cruise nights because it was a 4 door but we knew we hadnt seen one around at all. We were presently surprised to see that admirers flocked to the car at the shows even in its 4 door glory (oh the horror!).

Just remember, whatever reason you are in this hobby for, remember its for the love of the cars (whatever it may be) and we should all respect the hard work and dedication it takes to bring them to their current state (whether it has 2 doors or 4)

fory likes this.
  22. csimonds

csimonds

Well I just got my first 4 door car a couple months ago! Traded my 67 Galaxie for my "new" 50 Buick Super. I couldn't be happier with the trade here is a pic of both!
    Chuck

Attached Files:

23. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

From the gospel of the 55-57' littles... sorry I just took pictures with the digital camera.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  24. trad27

trad27

I love this car, '30-'34 I would rather have a fordor than a tudor. to me they just look classy full fendered, stock or hot rodded.

25. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

im not being mean here, and i know that car is not hamb approved...

but you should trade back, that galaxie looks solid.

26. trad27

trad27

Nice trade, I like the Buick. As long as you are both happy with the deal who cares. In the end they are both just old cars anyway.

27. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

i live for the moments you can light someones imagination up like that. you have a cool car!

28. csimonds

csimonds

Looks can be deceiving my friend! The Buick is 100x more solid than the Galaxie... Besides the Buick is much cooler than the Galaxie, just ask my wife! LOL
    Chuck

29. 64cheb

64cheb

A 2 door is nice to drive your girlfriend to the movies, or cruise to high school in. A 4 door is nice when you want to get laid, or bomb around with all your friends. I loved driving around in my OT 85 Crown Vic, lifted with truck tires. Like driving a huge boat down the highway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.