Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scrap is thru the roof now....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratroddude, Dec 21, 2010.

1. phat rat

phat rat

Around here if it's out for trash pickup and it's metal it's gone before the trash man gets here. Heck this summer I put an old charcoal grille out that I didn't want anymore way before trash day knowing it would be gone by morning. It was gone before dark. I don't consider it stealing

2. trad27

trad27

My thoughts exacly, yesterday me and a buddy took a bunch of model A stuff to scrap. Mostly junk, some hoods, raduis rods, bumbers, and some other T sheet metal. but if we were to haul it to a swap, pay to get in and sit there all day selling at even scrap prices no one would buy it. It was 500lb I think we got about $60

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  3. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Aluminum cans are at .55 cents per lb here.
    $77. later,I'm drinking as fast as I can again...

4. mlagusis

mlagusis

This happened 6 years ago when China was building abunch of stuff...I am 1/4 mile from a huge scrapp yard and everyday I see tons of folks bringing in crap. I am going to talk to someone over there and see if they will call when anythin late 60's and under comes in.

5. 64cheb

64cheb

Scrap has been in the shithouse here for years. However, lead and copper are up, but all the meth addicts around here make it very sketchy to cash in. Many an old car has been crushed at my yard, unless they are in the you pull section, and even there, theay are so far gone, it ain't even funny.

I got 56 bucks for 1500 lbs of steel (no cars, or anything cool). Total bullshit.

6. Squablow

Squablow

My Dad got $3 a pound about a month ago, I doubt it's gone down any since then, but doesn't hurt to call ahead. Try to find a Sadoff/Rudoy place near you, they seem to pay the best.

7. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Not everyone buys cars for their value though. I wouldn't mind putting some time and spare parts into a slant 6 4dr Valiant to have a cheaper more economical daily driver without having to buy some shitbox import.
    I hate to see old iron crushed no matter how valuable it could be restored. There are those of us who do this for reasons other than resale value...

8. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Actually, in some parts of the country, it IS considered stealing.
    Not from the person putting out the trash, but from the recycling company who sets their collection rates based on the assumption that they will make money on the trash collected. Rarely prosecuted, though, I would imagine.

Reminds me of a story in New York City in the late seventies. There was a trash-collectors strike going on for several weeks. Uncollected garbage was piling up in the streets and the city stank something awful. People were keeping their garbage inside as there was no place on the sidewalk left to leave it.

One guy had a bright idea. He put all his garbage in a big carton, wrapped it in Christmas wrap with a big bow. He put the package in the back seat of his convertible with the top down and went back inside.

He came out ten minutes minutes later and someone had stolen his trash!

9. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Goes out as scrap comes back as a bomb!!! Or a Kia, I'm not sure witch one scares me more.

10. This summer I sold 30+ years of accumulated steel when we
    shut down fab shop. Got $270 a ton for 250,000 lbs. Beer money for a year.

11. Rynothealbino

Rynothealbino

Loading up the 30 foot goosneck as we speak. Should have about 5 tons total, but nothing good though. Got to pull the drivetrain (327 and TH400) out of a 70's Chevy C10 and load it up and go. Maybe I will use the money to actually finish a project for once...its a thought anyways. Or maybe just a dream.

12. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

That's 250,000 lbs Divided by 2,000 lbs = 125 ton x $ 270.00 per ton = $ 33,750 !

$ 33,750 "beer money for a year"

That's a lot of fucking beer !

How's your liver ?

Cob

13. brad chevy

brad chevy

There sure is alot of talk about saving the old iron,and I mean just talk,everytime you post something about a stash of old,descent stuff all you get is its to far away or will you sell a dash knob off one.If you want to save them do it then post up what you saved not what you think should be saved.Action talks and bullshit is just that.

14. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I bet there have been 20 cars come across my scale on their final ride, scrap is up for sure.

I didn't see anything worth saving today though....

15. davis574ord

davis574ord

what is scrap goin for in northern cali rite now?

16. willeys41

willeys41
    from seattle

You can't buy them and stash them in Seattle,King County.They will throw a lien on you land.You cannot store cars in a Barn in King County,it's against the LAW if they find out from asshole neighbor.If you have a long driveway,too bad,you can only have 15% of gravel or concrete,thats counting house,garage,barn and driveway

17. Pretty good reason not to live on the left coast.

18. Truckedup

Truckedup

Time to scrap the 307 Chevys I bought cheap because guys here said they are worth something.They ain't worth shit except about 12 cents a pound on the scrap year scale.

19. brad chevy

brad chevy

Willeys41,when you goning to move man,dang they got you horse collared.How the hell can they tell you what you can put in a barn?

20. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Is there a website that shows current scrap prices nationwide?

21. olskool34

olskool34

Where I live, if I put any kind of metal at the curb, it is usually gone within a half hour of putting it out there. I live on a main road and lots of scrappers around. I put two washers out this past summer and they were literally gone before I could get the second one to the curb.

22. big M

big M

Out in the boonies here, it's currently $120-$140/ton, but if you truck it to Schnitzer or Sims in Sacramento, or Richmond, it is up over $240.

---John

23. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

$3.00 / lb for #1 copper in southern WV

24. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

only got 200 for a running car 2 weeks ago

25. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Im saying the price is up! The two local small yards were busy crushing cars into bales this week.

26. F&J

F&J

My kid hauled a 88 tbird to some crusher in Colchester on Monday late afternoon...they were so busy that they ran out of cash and had to give checks. $296 non-running, grabbed it by the roof because they save nothing for resale.

27. willys1330

willys1330

Just took in Copper today. # 1 is $3.50 per pound!

28. fuzzface

fuzzface

For car bodies i'm getting $225.00 a ton since last week. I got $250.00 a ton last winter. Even in spring we got the $250 price when we hauled a 30 ton crane in. I never got anything less than $190 a ton all summer. Never dropped will far down this past year like it normally does. Hoping it goes up more. it should winter just started around here but the bad part is I hauled alot in this past year to make my bills but i do have some left.

Sheet metal was down to $170 a ton but I believe that went up to $200 now.

Copper was $3.00 a pound last time I checked but it has been breaking record prices the last week in China so that should go up more too.

29. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Quick question for you guys since you're talking about scrape. Both my washer and dryer are on their last legs, both over 20 ears old and making noise and leaking. Anyway I've got access to a truck, would it be worth my while to haul the two pieces to a scrap yard?? Approx what would I get for each??