Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Airbags on my 1957 F100 (Build Thread) Finally!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by custom100, Dec 13, 2010.

1. custom100

custom100

Well I've been threatening to do this for at least a year now, and I've finally got everything I need and the time to do it. I bought my truck out of a junk yard for $500 about two and a half years ago after seeing a couple of this body style at the L.A. Roadster clubs Father's Day Show. It took me about a year or so to make it a decent daily driver. I really wish I would have done a build thread from beginning to end on the truck! I did a flip kit in the rear and a Mustang II IFS in the front with dropped spindles to get it low. I liked the stance when it was finished, but it rides like CRAP! I've had air suspension on some of my past projects and have always loved it. So I'm done dealing with the crappy ride and I'm finally gonna put airbags on my Effie!

Up front I have the Mustang II IFS that I put under the truck when I built the truck, so I got a cup kit for that and some stainless tubular arms that are set up for bags. Should be an easy bolt on. Just gotta add some out board shock mounts on the frame.

In the back I went with No Limit Engineering's Fatbar parallel 4-Link kit. It's a really nice kit and comes with bags, brackets, shocks, and hardware so I shouldn't have to get anything else. The kit is set up for my truck which will make it much easier then a universal kit. No Limit makes some really nice parts for a lot of different trucks and cars. When I built the truck originally I didn't plan on putting it on air, but set the suspension pretty low, so I did a small pipe notch in the frame to give myself some clearance. Well it still wasn't enough clearance. After the springs settled a bit the axle hits the frame just about every time I hit a good bump, which is part of the reason I'm doing air suspension. Because of this, I'm also going to install a step-notch. I wanted it to look really smooth so I got a round step-notch kit. It gives the look of a mandrel bent frame rail and should look pretty cool!

I'm gonna use AccuAir's e-Level with their air management kit to control everything. I used their complete system on my Cadillac that I did on bags and swore I would never do another setup without one. You set your ride heights and their system will keep it there no matter how many people get in your car or how much stuff I put in the bed. Plus, with all the set-ups I used before I couldn't align the car because you could never put it back to the exact same place. Their system uses electric height sensors and not pressure, so it goes to the same spot every time and allows you to align the car or truck and not wear out your tires.

Here are some pictures of the day I brought the truck home and what it looks like now. I've never done a build thread so bear with me.

Attached Files:

2. 510madmav

510madmav

love that thing top to bottom. Excellent job.

3. 66Coupe

66Coupe
    from SoCal

Man, can't wait to see this thing sitting low!

4. 100% Matt

100% Matt

5. custom100

custom100

Okay, so we got the bed off the truck yesterday, took a LOT of measurements on axle placement to turned my buddy's lift into a make shift frame table. My buddy Matt helped me yank all the drums apart and dropped the axle out.

Then I torched off the front and rear leaf spring mounts and started getting the step notch setup. I have to say, the round step notch is gonna look cool but without the flat top to measure off of, it's a bitch to set up!

My buddy who owns the shop has done a lot of work on custom frames and says he has some tricks up his sleeve to make the notch look like it's one piece! I can't wait to see it finished!

You can see how much bigger the new notch is gonna be compared to the old one. Shouldn't have an issue with the axle hitting the frame ever agian!:D

Attached Files:

6. choptvan

choptvan

that is going to be bitchin!

7. midcal48

midcal48
    from Hughson,CA

What kind of tires are those??

8. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

sweet truck, headin toward sweeter!

9. okiewelder

okiewelder
    from central Ok

I have a 62 unibody that I C'd the back of the frame on becacause I did the rearend flip. I later had wished I had gone with the lincoln mark 8 IRS. Here is a website that sells some frame brackets that would be pretty easy to copy for just the price of the steel. http://team321.com/truckirs/homepage.html

10. looks like your in good hands for the build. When setting up equip on site, I find that doing things simply usually makes things go easier. One trick I use a lot is the use of plumb bobs for locating tricky pieces. All it takes is a little pc of crud under a square to mess you up. Using a plumb bob off your centre line of your notch(assuming your frame is level) will help with linig up the radius notch. It also frees up your hands for tacking etc. If you already use this practice please disregard. Good luck with the build.

11. custom100

custom100

Here is a link to the tires. They are the ones on the bottom.
    http://www.dbtires.com/2010_catalog/hi/19.htm

After tons of measuring and double checking I got the step notch all set up. I'll post pictures later today. I've gotta get them off my buddies camera.

12. customline54

customline54
    from S.B.C, Ca

thats a sweet truck

13. Redlined

Redlined
    from SoCal

14. custom100

custom100

Ok, I got the notch all set up, again measured about 6,000 times, tacked everything into place, and started welding. I cut the inside frame rails and cleaned it up so I could run all the air line and wires up through the notch. Need to get it finished welded and ground so I can start setting up the 4-Link and bags.

Thanks for all the love on the truck guys. I can't wait to post pics of it dropped!

Attached Files:

15. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Lookin good! Your buddy had a great idea there.. made it look easy! I dig the color of your truck as well, I actually thought of painting mine the same color (before I ever even saw your truck) but just ended up going with a bright white.

16. custom100

custom100

Nice to see so many of these getting built! I love these trucks! Everybody I told I was building a 57 F100 asked me why I'm not building a 56! Looks like they're getting popular! :D

17. kingpins

kingpins

thats a sweet truck man. i cant wait to get my international bagged

18. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

Keep the pics coming

19. 69supercj

69supercj

This is gonna be SAAWEEEEEET!

20. 66Coupe

66Coupe
    from SoCal

21. custom100

custom100

Here are some update pics. Lots of work done even though it doesn't look like it. Tons of welding got done. The notch looks really cool! My buddy set it up so it could be ground smooth without loosing the integrity of the weld. It's gonna look nice when it's done.

Some more welding to do on the bottom, then a BUNCH of grinding to do! I'll put pics up as soon as it's done. Then I gotta get the 4-Link set up! Can't wait to see how much better it rides and looks!!!

Attached Files:

22. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

NICE!

Later, Bill

23. wicked17

wicked17

Did you make that notch or buy it? I'm looking for something just like that. Nice work you are doing!

24. octobeak

octobeak

I like the look of your notch, excited to see how this turns out!

25. custom100

custom100

26. I thought that truck couldn't look any better and you go and change my mind! :eek:

Great work! :cool:

27. 66Coupe

66Coupe
    from SoCal

Any luck on some holiday build time?

28. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Good lookin truck been thinkin of doing that to my 56 dodge. Deff gona keep an eye on this now

29. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

You got to love fridges. I see so many 53-56 F100s It is unusual to see 57-60 customized and dropped. I think one of the reasons they are becoming popular is because they are reasonably priced. Parts are plentiful. Myself was hooked in 1977 when my brother brought home his 1960 for $400. We drove that truck everywhere and it never left us.

30. custom100

custom100

I did get a lot of work done on the truck on my mini vacation! I'll post pics later today. So far the best part of doing this thread is seeing all the 57-60 trucks that are out there getting built! Thanks everybody for the support!