Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why are 4 doors bad?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53vicky, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well said. Mine is a four door, my first older car (other than my Chevelle I had). I love it, I have two small children, so the room is there. I have never cared what anyone else thinks, it is mine and I like it.

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I think you have that backwards. The experienced hot rodder knows that the 2 door is the deal.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

people who don't like a car simply because it is a 4 door have shit for brains.

had a 62 Caddy 4 door as well as a 49 Chevy 4 door. when I bought my Chevy I was looking for a 49-50 4 door to load up with factory accessories, found mine with most of the stuff already on it, and as a bonus, it had a 350. I had a friend tell me "don't put too much money in it, it's a 4 door"... dude is stuck in the 70's.

in my world there is not a car built before 1960 that is not cool enough to own so long as some dimwit has not messed it up. if you see it differently I don't care.

4. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

When I was a young boy, our town was pillaged and burned by four doors.

5. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I really liked, and really miss, my 1955 4 door desoto fireflite. sigh.

6. dmw56

dmw56

They aren't bad they're just different. 4 doors were made for a different purpose. They are family cars with extra doors for the kiddies and grandma to get in and out of the vehicle. I'll bet a majority of us had a 4 door as a first car.

Here's mine. I drove this to high school in 1972-74 still have it. Studebaker Champion.
    [​IMG]

My other 4 door 1966 660 Classic Rambler original and unrestored given to me by my Uncle.
    [​IMG]

7. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

Did anyone seen the 4 door Porsche? That is why four does suck.

8. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

I'm 22 years old and a recent college graduate. I knew next to jack $hit about mechanics and restoring old things up until about 2 years ago. I always was fascinated by Farmall tractors and decided that the time was right (how i thought the time was right while going to college full-time and managing a barn...i have no idea!). I knew i couldn't afford anything too large or too pricey and i wanted something small and manageable. i set goals for myself. They wern't too in depth because i really wasn't sure what i wanted to restore but i had goals. I put a wanted ad out on craigslist and came across my tractor. $800.00 got me a haggard 1941 Farmall A that was not running. It was rough; but i saw potential. I knew it was going to cost me quite a bit to make it the way it was as a new tractor but that's oK, my starting cost wasn't too bad. My boyfriend and i labored over that thing for 2 years and if you saw it in person today; you'd be amazed. It's not the biggest, most bad-ass Farmall at the fairs, but for its type and size; its in a class of its own. I wasn't restoring a tractor to turn around and sell it at the end of the day. It didnt matter how much it cost to make it into something because, quite frankly, it will be with me when i'm 90, old, a wrinkly :D

As for our four door Plymouth. We had goals when shopping for a car. We knew 2 doors got expensive...especially if you wanted something nice to start with. After we finished our tractor project we decided to start looking for a vintage car. We browsed for awhile and came across our '50 Plymouth Special Deluxe. We knew when shopping that we wanted something affordable; something in nice shape with a great slate to start a project off of. We wanted something eye catching but something reliable. We found our 1950 Plymouth in running condition off of craiglist. The b/f paid a solid amount for it but it was also in excellent shape besides for the original paint just falling off. There was absolutely zero rot on this car and the only rust was surface rust where the paint flaked off. Everything factory was still on it; including the radiator tags. Yes; it was a 4 door but we also wern't going to find anything in that nice of condition for that kind of money.

We knew she wasn't a horribly desirable car but we loved it either way. We honestly thought she was going to get zero respect and/or attention at the car shows. We were very happily proven wrong the first time we took it out. People crowded around it and it was honestly amazing to see the old, non desireable car, get that much attention. She is the only plymouth we've ever seen around and even if she is a 4 door; people love looking at it. We've even had people folow us on the road waiting for us to stop so they can see the car. and talk about it. We feel famous sometimes because people follow us with cameras and camera phones just to take a picture at a stop light :). We honestly could care less what people think of the old car so long as we are enjoying it...thats all that matters (but its certaintly nice to know people enjoy seeing ole' Bettie as much as us!)

I have seen 2 door '50 plymouth's and i can honestly say that i enjoy the 4 doors much better. They are longer and have better lines and more stretch compared to the "sister 2 door". We can also very comfortably take a bunch of friends (who dont own an oldie) to the drive-in or to the car shows with much ease. We've even loved the fact that we can cram all of our beach gear in her and drive her to the beach in the summer months. Lots of benefits of owning the 4 door compared to the "norm" 2 doors everyone is so obsessive over.

Anyways; just remember that no matter 2 door or 4 door; the car is YOURS and what YOU want; not what others "prefer". If others prefer the 2 door then they can man-up and buy one and own as many 2 doors as they damn well please. Also keep in mind that no matter 2 door or 4 door, a good job on a project is a good job. Your work will be respected and looked at , at the car shows just the same as the 2 doors. Keep in mind that car shows attract the general public and they outnumber the actual car owners and drivers by many at the shows. People enjoy looking at them all; and could honestly care less if it has 2 door handles or 4....a job well done is a job well done.

9. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

nah, actually Porsche's just suck. Porsche's wern't designed to do anything other than go fast and let the driver act like an animal. You cant take it grocery shopping and they are not economical...which is fine. to each their own. We just happen to thoroughly enoy all the benefits of our '50 Plymouth. You need to remember that some people will look past the extra 2 door handles and realize that a great car; is a great car.

10. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Damn good post, and exactly what I was about to say. The only 2 door I've owned so far was my truck. I like 4 doors because I always need the space. It's easier to get kids, gear and tools in and out of the back seat when you don't have to drag it/them across leaned forward front seats.
    I also don't buy/drive/build cars as a status symbol. I don't do this stuff because of what the cars are worth and how much I could make off em, I do it because I LIKE THE CARS. If you get into old cars just to make money you're not a hobbiest.
    My dad always ran 4 doors, even before he was a family man (back in the 40's, 50's and beyond) for the same reason; space and accessability.
    Plus you can't have true suicide doors on a 2 door...just looks like your doors are backwards....

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Uhhhh. Hot Rods and Customs here. Not grandmas car... I think you are confused as to what this site is about. It's not some generic old car site.

12. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

This is the 4 door 1950 Plymouth Special Deluxe. Now what is so bad about this?

47949_807381254421_9033825_46257853_5509497_n.jpg

13. TINGLER

TINGLER

This is a pretty cool looking hot rodded 4 door. (taken from the comet thread)

[​IMG]

14. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

obviously but your basically dissing every person who has taken a 1950 Plymouth and customized it and hot rodded it on this site. Since when were there rules written that a certain car is classifed as "grandma's mobile" just because it was a 4 door or a certain "type" of car. I think thats pretty sad. I'm pretty sure that a 4 door customized can look just as bad-ass as a 2 door.

15. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

you're also referring to a Porsche. A porsche is not a custom nor is it a "hot rod". Its a sports car specifically designed to do its job. It wasn't modified, customized, nor was it hot rodded to make it do its job better or look better or whatever. It's a sports car. If you want to discuss hot rods and customs then maybe you should change your porsche reference to a different "vintage".

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Uhhh... wrong....

[​IMG]

You obviously have a whole lot to learn....

17. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

Bodylines, bodylines, & bodylines. Most people who buy four-doors use them for parts or make them into two doors. Unless you are under twenty-five and dig those four-door tuner Honda thingies. Ugh!

18. Well will any of the haters out there at least admit this. Is it possible for a person to be in extremely poor health, have very few resources (cash, labor and equipment) and still have the desire to go for a ride in his own old car. Example: Let's say a man has $3000.00 total he can put into one. His health won't allow him to do very much physical labor. He doesn't have a lot of contacts he can count on to hook him up with parts and labor. He doesn't have the fabrication skills to bring a rusty tin can back to life, but he's got that desire to go cruising in an old car. Then he comes across a 4dr that he can buy, paint, shave a few emblems and mouldings, lower and put a set of cokers on and still come in under his money allotted. Are you telling me he should pass on this car, die and be buried and never have a car period. All because he couldn't make money on it. Let me ask you this. If you put your wife on the market today do you think you're going to make money on her. I doubt it. But you still have her don't you. I would rather have a wife that you don't find attractive than to spend my life alone just because I couldn't marry a woman most people find attractive. Hell all I wanted to do was have a car to ride in. Now I find out I'm this major dumbass. I bought my house to live in, not make money on. Same thing with my car, bought it to have a little fun.

19. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Amen. I feel like a lot of people just go the 2 door route just because they want to fit in with everyone else. "its the cool thing to do". get what you like and what appeals to you the big picture! Don't base your purchase off of what everyone else seem to prefer or say. There are plenty of heavily customized and lightly customized 4 doors out there that are well-liked and respected and eye catching. get what YOU want

20. Gator

Gator

I've personally owned a couple hundred cars in my time - you could count the 4 doors on one hand, and a couple of those were parts cars.

When my daughter graduated a few years back we bought her a 'newer' used car for college - she chose a 4 door Jetta, so I kinda get the younger generation / 4 door references.

If you like 4 doors, great - but I honestly can't think of any make or model 4 door I'd want to own.

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It's tradition, that's the way it's always been. But then you're only 22.

Uhhh.... look at the highlighted part of your post below. You basically snubbed hot rods at their core. You have a lot to learn.... you should lurk, read, and learn.

22. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

wtf..... Iam buying every 4-door in town now, just to piss my neighbor off.

23. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

BUT who says a 4 door with the same goods as a 2 door, same year, same make, same chop job, etc can't do the job as a "hot rod" as well as the 2 door? Why? just because it's got 2 more doors? As far as i'm concerned; a hot rod is a hot rod or a custom whether it has 2 doors or 4. There is no written rules on what a true "hot rod" is. Sure; it may be "tradition" to prefer 2 doors over 4. The 2 doors were the luxury cars for those growing up back in the day. No one wanted to be cause driving around in something that represented their mom and pops. I understand that. So you're basically saying if i showed you a series of photos or cars in person that were 4 doors that were chopped, channeled, lowered, you name it...you'd snub them just because they were 4 doors?

As far as i'm concerned a hot rod or custom is an artistic creation based on one's personal opinions and preferences. it is a representation of the owner and driver and their artistic creation; not what a spectator "prefers" to see in a car. That is what is so SPECIAL about being involved in such a "hobby'. there are so many options you can choose based on what YOU want out of a car. Its a personal preference...not just "tradition"

I didnt "snub" any hot rod. I thoroughly enjoy looking at everyones creations...and if you saw me at a car show...you'd understand. I think every restored, customized or hot rodded car at a show is a thing of beauty and i think everyones hard work that goes into these cars should be given the utmost respect...even if it isn't your personal "preference". like i said; everyones customs, hot rods, or restoration projects are a reflection of themselves and what they personally want (unless your in this to make money) and it should be respected.

24. fauxsmobile

fauxsmobile

no im not being negative about the cars i just dont get the fact that someone can tell someone else there wasting there time and money when there learning how to build and and workin with what they can afford?there are too many people that want to rip everyone apatr on this site.and if you did know me you would know i dont pomp my hair ,cuff my jeans or drink beer.and i rather dbe driving those 5 years live in the now.

25. TINGLER

TINGLER

I'd choose a tub over a t-bucket. I think they look much cooler.

Just my opinion....probably the only 4 door I'd prefer over a 2 door though.

26. Plus you can't have true suicide doors on a 2 door...just looks like your doors are backwards....[/QUOTE]

Really? SUPPLY & DEMAND

27. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

And i wasnt dissing hot rods in my rant about the Porsche. what i was trying to say is that some people just prefer to have a bad-ass car that they can do different things with...not just one thing

28. rick finch

rick finch

Wow....everytime I see the statement: "it's your car, do what you want with it" ARRRGH!!! That is NOT what this whole gig is about, never has been and never will be!

You want to build or buy a car that is beyond the mainstream, be prepared to hear criticism or differing opinions. You can't change history to fit your interpretation, two door cars in the hot-rodding world have ALWAYS been the preferred mode....PERIOD!

Yes, there are exceptions to every rule, I have seen some four doors that are really bitchin' cars, but the exception is not the rule. Get over it.....

29. beatnik

beatnik

Yup, I'd rather look at stock 2-door than a customized 4-door any day. 4-doors just dont look right, too many posts, too many windows. There completely irrelevant to me in the hot rod or custom world. Endsville

Gus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.