Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why are 4 doors bad?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53vicky, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rustyangels

rustyangels

Within the model design back then, most were designed originally as 2doors, then 2 more doors added, making some bodies look awkward or fugly.
    My favorite 4doors are GM fastbacks, 59-60 flatops, Breezeways,etc

2. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

I guess i'll bring my popcorn over here...

3. Eight433

Eight433

The glass car thread didn't last long, eh?

4. Special Ed

Special Ed

5. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

4 door?..not here. Spend any money on one, not hardly. Donor car, sometimes. Convert to 2 door, yes if possible and not cost an arm and a leg. Just did a 60 Plymouth wagon drag car. One reason, looks, the other is that the customer was a bit "portly" and the longer door opening was desirable.
    Buy an old 4 door just to have an old car to drive, nope...consider it for a "hot rod", no. Like most have said, you can not recover your investment in MOST 4 doors...and in my very humble opinion a 4 door is just not cool. Some wagons are the exception.
    Some well designed 4 door hardtops are the exception...but the money to restore, repair is always more and the value is always less.
    In most cases I would encourage my customer to look for another car or a donor 2 door to convert if possible.
    To me this subject is a no brainer.
    Yes, I can see may of the younger crowd growing up in nothing but a 4 door car feeling like fixing up an old 4 door is ok..............to me a waste of money and time...UNLESS you just want a dorky looking cruiser.

Mark

6. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

4 door = family car = not a hot rod. Sure you can drop a hemi in one and call it a hot rod, but "insert saying here" (e.g. - it's like taking a crap with your pants on).

7. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

My boyfriend bought his 4 door simply because we couldn't afford a 2 door anything. Theyre just so darn expensive. If you want a cheap 2 door; its a rot box and needs just about everything. We found our 4 door the next town over off of craigslist. 22,000 original miles, original everything, and the interior is very much intact (besides for 2 holes in the headliner). It was a sweet looking car; something you didnt see around very much and we figured with the 4 door we could stuff more people and crap in the car hahaha. :)

I agree that the reason for the hype over the 2 doors is because they just have that "cool factor." Many people argue they have better lines than a 4 door but i guess that depends on who your asking and what car you're reffering to. I honestly could care less how many doors it has. To me; what matters is that, no matter the car, its all a peice of automotive history and i personally think they all deserve a chance at being preserved and shown to the public. I personally get bored looking at two door after two door at car shows. they just all look the same and if you have one two door bel air at the show; you have 10 of them. I think 2 door cars can look awsome and don't get me wrong; they do....but i think a 4 door can be equally as much fun and attractive as a 2 door. When we bring our old 4 door to car shows; there is always a crowd around it and the stories are being flung around. Sure; theyre all about stories from people who had one in their family at one point in time...but thats fine with us...it can be remembered as a family car. What matters to us is that the car gets people's attention and has brought back memories for many.

I think no matter what car show you go to; you have a bunch of enthusiasts standing around with not much else to do but talk and analyze eachother's vehicles and work. It happens everywhere. What matters most is what YOU prefer; not what others prefer.

I personally think people need to get over their stipulations that 4 doors are worthless. we brought our 4 door to a show last summer in the rattiest condition possible...but it drove; and it was probably one of 2-3 four doors there....and there was a crowd around our four door and the stories went on for an hour or two about it. We also took it to one big main street cruise and there was an old timer there with his son and wife. he was quite elderly and had some trouble getting around. He saw the car from across the lot and was hurrying across the lot as fast as he could to the car. stuttering he asked what the car was and as soon as we answered he beamed with excitement and started telling stories. Sometimes; your excitement and love for your four door has to come from experiences like this :)

8. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

Sure, aesthetics are subjective, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. For me, "never" is entirely appropriate.

9. I personally the youth appreciate 4 door cars because that's what they are use to.

Granted,When I was a teenager you didn't want a 4 door because the guys you looked up to didn't drive them but most likely the car you learned how to drive was mom's car,,just a thought.

4 Doors are great for a young guy with a family to cut his teeth on and hone his skills,,granted not the most desirable of cars for some.

Some I like and some I don't,,HRP

10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

like two bald men fighting over a hairbrush....amusing, but pointless

11. The Shocker

The Shocker

To me when i see a rodded up 4 door sedan it looks like you just settled for.Im sorry ,but thats what comes to mind .Kinda like getting hooked up with an ugly women .They have the same parts and function as a pretty women ,but thats where it ends.I have nothing against 4 door wagons though ,they are a whole different deal than a 4 door sedan IMO.My first car was a gloss black 57 Belair mordoor wagon that was an exdrag car and i wouldnt mind having another ...

12. Dave B.

Dave B.

We were new-car-shopping for a daily driver for my wife last year. We have several cars, old and newer. I like a 4 door/wagon for my daily because I haul people and lots of stuff. (Keep in mind that we're both retired...)

At the first dealership:
    Me: So, do you like any of these cars?
    Her: They're all 4-doors...
    Me: That's what's selling now.
    Her: They're for old people and NOT COOL.
    Me: They're more practical.
    Her: The doors are too narrow. It's easier to get in and out of a 2-door.
    Me: Not for the people in the back seat!
    Her: I'm not worried about them... it's MY car.

We ended up ordering a 2-door...

13. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

honestly, im dead SICK of the 4 doors are all i could afford excuse..

life is about choices... i was making just above minimum wage when i bought my first old car... saved for months, bought and sold a few jap motorcycles and car parts, and finally had myself a running driving decently clean 51 plymouth.. not a hugely popular car, but i thought it was great.. 2 doors, drove nice, and went from there fixing it up.. i paid WAY too much for that car now that I looked back ($3500) ... but i felt good about it.. and didnt feel bad working on it. i did like that it was different, but i wouldnt have felt the same if it was a 4 door.. even a 4 door chevy... it just isnt realistic for my tastes.. then i kepy moving up, etc. etc.etc. i was making shity money still when i put together my 31, and that car cost a lotta money due to my inability to weld etc...

you can have ANYTHING you want it you REALLY want it... if you sit back and say oh well, all i can afford is this 4 door 62 plymouth i found, then thats only your fault.. there are sooo many cars out there.. so many deals to be found..

i have this talk with every one of my friends gettin into cars.. dont settle.. if you want a 57 chevy bel aire it CAN and WILL be yours if you focus.. buy a nice lil 2 door you can cruise and customize a little, save money while you do it.. when the time is right, sell it, and combine it with your savings to buy something more "valuable" that you still like, and cruise that a year or two while you do the same.. over and over if needed.. and in a few years, it may take 5-10 years, but you WILL have your 57 chevy...

most of us here are working towards our "grail" car, or just plain LOVE cars too much.. most of us still have 10-20 other cars we want to own before we die, we HAVE to think about resale value... its not a sin, its a REALITY.. the guys that swear up and down its all the money they have while they roll 8" cuffs in their 501s probably spent $200 last month on PBR alone, not to mention the $100 on spider webb headlight covers for thier 4 door flat black car... learn to save, learn to have a GOAL... this is a huge problem in america now adays... expecting things to just "happen" as opposed to making it happen. somewhere most of the population lost thier inner drive and confidence.. i dont care what ANYONE says.. its not cool to sit back and talk about how poor you are, drink and go out all the time complaining about it.. we all know what type of guys im talking about here... im having money issues now but its no excuse as to what car i drive or dont drive, ill make it happen no matter what..

heres a list of the cars bikes etc ive had in the last say just 6 or so years .. all bought built and driven while making less than $25k a year.. (thank goodness my hard work has paid off and I now make more).

- 51 plymouth 2 door, 53 caddy fins, etc..
    - 51 chevy 2 door ran and drove and chopped under $1000 TOTAL invested (rough but coulda kept going on it, just sold to make money)
    - 57 lincoln premier coupe
    - 62 buick coupe airbagged
    - 62 pan manx dune buggy
    - 31 coupe chopped, chanelled, etc.
    - 75 shovelhead
    - 67 ironhead that was in dice
    - 93 sporty
    - 66 triumph
    - 64 galaxie convertible bagged

and now i have my 63 impala.. with all the parts i dreamed of since i was a kid (aircraft hydraulics, sancos, trus, color bar, engraving, etc), it still has a ways to go, but im driving it when i want, and its everything i ever dreamed of... now that I have it i just have to not sell it, and keep working on it

SET GOALS ... if ur goal is a "cool" 4 door, good goal go for it.. but most of these "its all i could afford" guys would rather a 2 door.. and to me its never cool to SETTLE

sorry for the rant, this thread really gets to me

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  14. Larry T

Larry T

I'm gonna stick to this and add to it.
    If you buy a 4 door because it's cheaper or more available or .................then you're not really a 4 door guy, your just settling for second best and all of the arguments are just to justify your car.
    Back when I was growing up, you didn't settle for what was cheapest, you worked your butt off, bought the best you could (almost) afford, worked some more did some swapping and moved up the ladder until you had as close to what you really wanted as possible. It was an obsession, and if you had to eat beans and do without your weekly dose of hooch and partying then you did it.
    Now that I think about it, the only 4 door I ever owned was (are you ready?????) given to me by my grandparents.
    Larry T

15. fauxsmobile

fauxsmobile

screw it. they all suck lets be honest.

16. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

2 doors cars are sport models ( coupe/fastback/convertiables) its bread into us at a early age, just like short and long wheel base trucks , short wheel base is the sporty were the long wheel base was the work models.

Times are changing there was a time if you had a CREW cab ( 4 doors ) truck, it was a a work crew truck. But things change and its getting more common place to find 4 door trucks. And for that matter harder to find a standard cab short wheel base truck.

From an investment position, a 2 door will always be worth more than a 4 door for the simple reason it is more desirable ( by most folks ) so to spend alot of time and money to fix up a less desirable ( 4 door ) would be considered wastefull by some since the same money/time spent in a 2 door would bring more in a sell. This also applys to other trim lines of the same vehicals as well a convertable is always worth more than a hardtop and hardtop will always be worth more than a post.

So it really come down to the will of the people more people like 2 door cars so there is a better market for them, there for they hold there value better.
    My 2 Cents

Now I know there are exceptions but this is how I understand and the prices I have seen reflect it.

17. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

EXACTLY ./... EXACTLY ... im only 33 but i feel like im old compared to this generation of people that dont wanna set goals and work towards em

18. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

calm down, cuff ur pants and pretend its "beer oclock"

seriously man, i wish i knew you so i could come talk to you... calm down on teh negativity.. no one is shitting on your car, just the idea of settling for a car you dont really want... its not like were talking a new $12k kia versus a $500k ferrari here.. for the most part our "dream" cars can be had for $5-15k (with the exception of a 32 or rare other cars) ... that amount of money is doable for ANYONE.. it may take 5+ years, but its DOABLE..

dont give up man, seriously... and if you love 4 doors, not cause you can afford em, but because you REALLY love em, were not even talking about u

19. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thats some good points touchdowntodd.I think alot of times people just sttle for a 4 door sedan cuz for some reason its easier to find one that running than a 2 door .Usaully in better shape also ,but they still suck IMO.Here is a list of the "old" cars i have had in my life and i have been anything but rick my life.Most of these where daily drivers.

57 Wagon (old drag car)
    67 Chevelle 2 door
    71 Nova 2 door
    68 Camaro
    51 Merc 2 door
    58 chevy shortbed
    54 Chevy 2 door (with a 4 dr parts car)
    60 Belair 2 door (4 door parts car)
    49 Chevy shortbed
    55 Pontiac 2 door
    61 Falcon Ranchero
    37 Fiat Topolino
    56 Chevy 2 door
    63 Dodge Dart dragcar 2 door
    50 Chevy shortbed

Notice not one 4 door sedan in the lot cept the " parts cars " or a long bed pickup (they are great farm trucks BTW but not cool as a hot rod IMO) .Not cuz i had first choice or big bucks to spend ,but because i saved ,shopped around ,and got vehicles in less than perfect shape and built them up slowly ...

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, usually in the 60's if you were young and drove a four door it was your parent's car or the car your parents had handed down to you when they bought a new car for themselves.

In the mid 60's a tri 5 four door sedan was worth about half of what a tri 5 tudor Hardtop was in equal condition.

Most of the two door cars were just flat better looking and the only four doors that I think look as good are the mid 50's Buick and Olds Four door hardtops but still looked great with all the windows down cruising around town.

Until a few years ago most four door cars that would now be project cars were looked at as parts cars for a two door by most guys I know and few of them would have fixed one up and less yet would have customized one.

21. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Much of this hobby is about nostalgia for what we had in the past or for envy of what we couldn't have in the past.

Back in the day (pick whichever era you prefer) if you were a single employed hot rodder and could pick any car you wanted, you'd probably pick a 2 door model and perhaps pick something like a 'vette or T'bird without even a back seat. You probably wouldn't pick Howard Cunningham's DeSoto.

On the other hand, if you inherited the family sedan and used it for cruising to the drive-in, then you'd be nostalgic for those days and for that car or one like it.

It's all good, but in this forum a 4 door will never be desired (or worth) as much as a two door anything, even station wagons. In other places, a four door (like a Tucker Torpedo) may be worth lots more.

22. TINGLER

TINGLER

It's just about money.

It was a shock to me too that people involved in this thing aren't in it for the love of old cars.......Nope.....They're in it for the love of making a buck. A '32 Ford represents big bucks. A 2 door represents mo moneeey.

Those old dudes bad mouthing 4 doors are just protecting the status quo. They can't admit it's all made up crap based on mo'neeey....To do so would blow their minds. They might have to question thier sexuality next or something.

You can't escape it either....not unless you get rid of your cars. Then you'll get yelled at for walking cause it looks like you don't have no MOOOO'NEEEEYYYY. :D You can't win.

23. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

Let`s look in my garage......hmmm `32 Ford 3-Window, `40 Ford coupe,`29 Ford RPU and the wife`s SAAB 9000 next to my Suburban. End of debate.:)

24. Larry T

Larry T

Could it be the other way around. I mean could a 32 Ford coupe be worth more money because more folks actually want it and how bad they REALLY want it? Kind a supply and demand kinda deal?
    Could buying a 4 door be more about money, than buying a 2 door? Which would you have if money weren't involved?
    I need more coffee.
    Larry T

25. TINGLER

TINGLER

It's a vicious cycle. More folks want a '32 Ford, so they cost more which makes them worth more so more folks want them cause they're worth more......etc.

26. TINGLER

TINGLER

I'd buy a 2 door. :rolleyes: :D (I've never owned a 4 door old car.)

But I wouldn't have the bad taste to make fun of someone's 4 door car. I do appreciate all old cars.

27. 61 chevy

61 chevy

i think you used the wrong word when you said BAD, they are just not as popular as 2 doors

28. I have a 4-door 'cause it works for my family! I could give a rat's a$$ what anybody else thinks! (3year old and 6 month old boys= 2 car seats!)

Attached Files:

29. MIGHTY

MIGHTY

pretty sure the ones saying that your throwing your money away if you have a 4 door are not "experienced hot rodders" They are just jealous that you poured more money into your 4 door than they did on there 2 door....if they even have a hot rod.
    The great thing about this hobby is cars come in all different shapes and sizes for all different types of people. All of which can be tricked out customized and personalized. Some would say we all are throwing our money away and wasting our time working on cars, those people just dont get it. To each his own.

30. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

I think one of the main things to consider, is that almost always when a car is made as a 2 and a 4 door, the 4 door usually has the higher production numbers. So a 2 door is more rare and for that reason the value is always higher. Not to mention the coolness factor of a 2 door v/s a 4 door. 4 door=family car 2 door=Hot Rod :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.