Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why Did You Become A...........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drive Em, Nov 9, 2010.

1. My dad has always had GM cars and trucks so i followed. After a while i got a good deal on a ford so i took it. Right now i have my 2nd ford car but before long ill have another GM.

2. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

i have car from all 3

[​IMG]

my olds and my desoto

[​IMG]

and my ford shoebox

/Stefan

3. The easy and cheapest route to power in the late 50s was to swap in a big OHV, and for me the GM powertrains were the answer. My first car was a 39 Ford coupe that I loved but left stock. Next a 34 Ford 1/2 ton that I chopped, chanelled, and installed Olds engine tranny and rear end. My next swap from that era was a Buick into a 47 Chev coupe, and again it was just what I could get my hands on at an affordable price. I did quite a few other swaps, and they all followed the same pattern.

I love them all, and the only reason I have never owned a Chrysler product was because I never found one in the auto wreckers when I was looking for an engine for a project. Now, it is just easier to stick with GM small and big blocks, and Ford FE engines just because I know them so well. I would love to have had a hemi powered vehicle, but I missed the big chance I to buy a 426, because it was sold before I knew it was available, even though I told the guy I wanted the engine.
    The fun in the earlier days of hotrodding, was that you never knew what you were going to see under the hood.
    Bob

4. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

When I was a teen I loved the early fastback mustangs. but ended up with a 1968 camaro. although I restored the camaro,an had many more, they just were not the fords that I fell in love with.I love all cars but the ford's will always be my favorite.

5. indyjps

indyjps

My Dad had midyear vettes when I was growing up, a lot of them. There wasnt much thinking it over, I grew up listening to 427's and 327's.

6. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

I'm a whatever I can re-sell kinda person

7. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

I'm in the middle I have a mix of everything

8. Greg D

Greg D

I actually just love cars, bikes, even planes - period.
    I have had all the major brands everything from a 53 Chevy 210 to my 09 Harley Night Train. I also have a Mustang problem and have owned from a 67 FB to an 05 GT - I am very fond of the 79-86 cars though.
    I used to be a Chevy guy,
    I became very bored with "cookie cutter Camaros (but I like Camaros), and the mouse motor. I like 55-57 Chevys but they are so popular I don't want to own one.
    I was intrigued by the variety of Ford engines and the unusual interchangeability between some of different "families". Since I also love the classic Ford & Merc designs I ended up here.
    I also have a bad "Slick" habit but mostly prefer the 61-64 straight axle trucks. I've had 11 Slicks and all but 2 were/are 62-64.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  9. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

grew up blue oval--came to caddy's by chance. blundered onto a 57 el dorado 365 for a project car--was hooked from there

10. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

First 'hot' car I drove was a new 51 Olds Super 88. It was my buddies Dads car and he used to let us drive him around L.A. when we turned 16. Dam that thing hauled butt!

11. Joatha

Joatha

First car was a 67 Impala (2 dr with a 2bbl 283) that was my grandmother's car. I loved the car as Dad and I did a light restoration (freshened the motor and new paint). But, it never really got me going from a performance perspective (too heavy and only 200 HP). A guy in a Mercedes killed it for me when I was about 19. I ended up taking the insurance money and I bought a 68 Barracuda convertible out of a pasture. I got it going and that car was a MUCH better performer and I thought it was much more unique. On top of that, I had a couple buddies that were heavy in to GM and I realized my best bet was to get in to MOPARS. The deeper I got in to them the more I liked them. Now, I'm a MOPAR guy for the most part. Although, I do appreciate almost anything that is done well. I also have a 1930 Model A Sport Coupe that I will hot rod. I only got the A because I want to do a hot rod version of the Ramblin Wreck mascot that Georgia Tech has (which is also a 1930 Model A Sport Coupe). Otherwise, I likely would've stuck with a MOPAR. Oh...and the A will have a hemi, an 833 4 speed, and an 8.75 Sure Grip rear end. I'll likely touch up the dash with a MOPAR of some sort as well.

12. Diavolo

Diavolo

Ford guy. Dad had a white 66 truck. When he died, my brother was practically disowned for selling it. Other brother had a 70 Mach 1. I got a 69 years later.

Owned Chevys and my dd is a Dodge, but I have a F150, F600 and Customline sitting side by side in the back yard. As of late, I can't seem to stop collecting flatheads...

13. smittystoys

smittystoys

Worked at a local speed shop when i was just out of high school the majoraty of the faster cars were allways chevrolets you could build em so much cheaper. ilike all of em im just partial to chevys.

14. When I was about 9 my uncle came over to New Zealand to visit us with his bride and a new '73 Camaro RS. He left it (the car) with us for a few months while they toured the south island. Dad would pile all five of us kids and mum into it and we'd blast up and over the Rimatuka's, a twisty wild back road over a set of nasty hills, over to my Nana's place playing the Fiddler on the Roof 8-track. The roar of that car is what gave me the itch for Chevy's.

15. swazzie

swazzie

My first ride in a hotrod was a 1968 dodge charger. Sideways, roastin the hides, gravity in my seat, love was what happened.I was 8. My first car was a hundred bucks. It was a 1970 fury with a big block. I was 14. I dug a crawl space under a house with sand buckets for the money . The car was a turd box but it was mine. I spent 2 years fixin it up and never looked back. My family always had fords though. About 6 years ago , I bought a 1950 ford tudor. The first car I ever rode in . I came home from the hospital in it and will never part with it. I still love the mopars but I am tuned into the fomoco fever now too. I'm doomed I know. I love em so ....... :D

16. ....a car nut in 1980 at 5 years old when my old man first tok me to OCIR on a Sat afternoon. I distincly remember the Mountain Dew funny car driven by John Force. Man I remember that car so vividly. Christ those afternoons at OCIR with pops really lit my life on fire. Nitro burning my eyesand nose, the roar from the funny's and Top Fuelers, the people, and my Dad always giving me the first lil sip of his beer. I would give anything to go back to that time for just 1 day.

17. 53Rags

53Rags
    from BC Canada

When I was a kid my parents were Taxi owner/operators. They ordered a new Chevy Impala 4 door and had it painted to the Taxi company specs. We took the train from the West Coast to Detroit and picked it up right off the end of the assembly line and drove it back.

Kind of stuck with me.

18. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Before I ever was old enough to drive a car, I thought Fords were the best thing on wheels, would have been about 69-70. Loved those fastback Torinos & Fairlanes.
    Then I started working at the service station (72 or so) and began to notice that the Mopar cars had a slightly better chance of being driven over 100,000 miles then most other brands without major repairs. In school I was able to read more about the engine design and thought the Mopar design was better then the others.

The 1st car I ever drove was Dad's 64 Olds. That 394 was fast, but I got to buy a new transmission, and several tires for that car in less then a year. When I was able to buy my first car, Dad hooked me up with a 69 Buick with just under 49,000 miles. The Buick had the 350 with the 2 speed auto and a posi rear end. I owned the Buick for a year and put 10,000 miles on it. I also got to put 3 motors, 2 transmissions and two sets of rear wheel bearings in it. I traded that Buick for a 72 Plymouth with just over 56,000 miles. I drove that Plymouth as hard, or maybe harder then I drove the Buick or the Olds before it. At just over 100,000 miles, after more then 3 years of beating it, I had to have the transmission rebuilt. Through the time I owned the Plymouth, A coupe friends andI got into dirt track racing and we ran a 69 Road Runner because I could buy it cheap. That poor Road Runner lasted 2 years on the track. During the racing years I was buying whole cars instead of just parts I might need. I quit racing almost 10 years ago, I'm still working off the collection of parts left, even after 3 moves and building 4 or 5 hot rods between my son and myself. The pile of parts is getting pretty small these days, its time for my son to start collecting, I think.

We drove the first Plymouth street car for 7 years and it showed over 133,000 miles when we sold it. Other then the transmission rebuild, we didn't do anything other then normal maintenance through the time we owned it. It was the first in a very long string of Mopars that have sat in our driveway over the last 37 years. They have been good to us over the years, and I have become used to working on them. Now, these newer ones may be another story, I don't like working on them so much but, maybe that's because I'm getting older. I don't like working on much of anything anymore. Gene

19. I'm a Ford guy. I grew up with a family into cars. When I was younger a friend down the street from me always had mustangs and helping him work on them made me gravitate towards Ford's. But I am an all around car guy. Ford's are just first on my list.

20. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I was raised on Chevys. Then I had a couple sour ones and decided to buy a new Ford pickup. It was a real turd but somehow I was hooked. Plus I always thought a 63 1/2 427 Galaxy was just about the coolest thing on 4 wheels. I still own them all but more blue ovals. 350 Chevys bore me to sleep.
    Oh, and I am still a huge Olds fan, have owned several and they all treated me fine.

21. The roots of my raisin' run deep ...... and my Dad's family was pure Mopar.... but my Pa loved his chebbies too!!

22. straight6

straight6
    from alabama

im a ford guy becuase ford has been more reliable then the other companies. for me anyways. i like the look of a ford better then gm. mopar wouls be second

23. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I own or have owned Ford, Chevy and Mopar over the years and even though we all have our favorite models, engines, etc and kiddingly bash our buddy's for their taste or choice...my opinion is that they are all pretty good products or they would not be in business..just my 2 cents

24. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

why be loyal to a brand that isnt loyal to you? untill someone drops of a few cars in my driveway, I am only loyal to what ever I want to drive. I am a car guy not a ford guy!

25. Kingsway

Kingsway

Anything made after about '72 trucks included, is plastic, rust prone, soul less, character less, garbage only fit for basic transportation and nothing more. Its like all the engineers went brain dead or something. No imagination. Especially GM. "Generic Motors" No styling whatsoever.
    Just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

26. Kingsway

Kingsway

Oh yeah, positive. I like mopars and the odd ford. Because they aren't Chevies. lol!

27. ponchoman

ponchoman

Folks brought me home from the hospital in a '37 Pontiac 2 dr. Sedan, then owned nothing but Pontiacs until I left home, when they switched to Buicks and Oldsmobiles. My first car was a '55 2 dr. Sedan, very similar to the one I've had at the HAMB drags 3 or 4 times. What more can I say ????

28. spuds

spuds
    from Idaho

Came home in 55 fairlane, hopefully driving one when I go to my last home.........

29. 49 Mercury

49 Mercury

When I was younger, my uncle took me for a ride from Amarillo to Boys Ranch in a 46 Chevy, yep threw a rod. When I was 16 my 49 Mercury with overdrive never gave me trouble , just couldn't figure out how to out run 49 Rocket 88s. I was definitely a Ford-Mercury man. All the hot rod guys were driving 49 50 51 Fords for a reason, They were faster, better made and easier to work on. I still love the early Fords and Mercurys for their looks and simplisity,. Never the less I am a fond lover of the sbc swaps and trannys for the cost and the simplicity. Love the old bodies and the strong sbc s. This is my story and I am sticking to it.

30. I like all cars. Just a matter of taste. I have owned more Fords.

All have good points & bad. Some have a great body style & shitty power plant. Some have a great powerplant & shitty body style.
    In my 20's I never had much money so I always bought Chevys. Cheap to buy & cheap to keep.

I have always liked the body style & have owned F100 Fords, Mustangs, & Comets. 1967 Shelby GT 500 1967 428 C6 Automatic, Mach 1 428 4 speed, 1932 Ford 3 window coupe 289 small block, 1970 Plymouth GTX 440 Mag with 4 speed. The list goes on. The Chevys have all been pickups, no cars.
    Most all the vehicles I've owned have had Big Blocks.

Anybody can take an engine, build it up to run fast. There is no one better than the other. It all depends on the builder, what after market parts & how much money you sink into it.

If you look at factory built, factory stock engines the 426 Hemi & 440 Mopar have em all beat. I've owned 427 Chevys, 428 Fords, 383, & 440 Mopars.

In my opinion the Chrysler is the strongest most powerful stock engine I have ever had.(but parts cost more) Ford comes in second,(parts are still expensive) & Chevy is third.(parts easy to find & don't cost arm & a leg & most everybody has one)

So what do you do? You take all the good points from the big 3 & build your own. And its still American Made.