Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why are 4 doors bad?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53vicky, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hillcogolfer

hillcogolfer

Everybody to their own taste.....personally I liked 2 drs and early coupes better for years....then I found a '39 Chevy....chopped top...4 door with a back suicide door and now?.....I think this is the coolest looking rod I've ever owned....go figure!

2. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

What you should say is, 4 Doors can be BADASS. Whatever blows your skirt. Here's my 64 Buick "Duece-N-Quarter" factory 401 Nailhead,400 Turbo, Posi Rear, FOUR DOOR. I hear, in Europe there the cats :cool: ass. P.S. It is for sale. Need bucks to get my truck done. Hay guys, don't knock the wheels. I still have the stock steelys and stock wheel covers. Looking for some period correct "Spinners"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  3. squirrel

squirrel

that's only part of it.

Some 4 doors look ok, but many are just too "busy" in the greenhouse, they look ugly. Especially cars like the 55 chevy, put a 4 door sedan next to a hardtop or even a 2 door post, the 4 door looks like crap.

My grandparents always had 4 doors.

Cops drove 4 doors

Rental cars were 4 doors

But old pickups only have 2 doors.....and they're usually pretty cheap to buy. Think about it.

4. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

This is so wrong. When I had my 4 door fleetline( see avatar pic), people were asking to buy it nearly every time I left the house. It even had the old man visor on it. The visor got stolen, and then I got mad and sold the car to the next guy who asked to buy it the very next day. 4 doors are not hard to sell at all.

5. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

[​IMG]
    Doooooood get rid of those Kmart plastic wheelcovers! Plain black steelies look 10X better.

6. If you like a car...build it for yourself. Who gives a shit what others think of your ride.

7. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Working on it JAMESGS4!!!

8. fauxsmobile

fauxsmobile

9. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

lol, just givin ya shit:p

10. 4drs.... cop, taxi, grand parents, teachers, spinsters, preachers, parents.
    2drs.... cool guys at the drive-in, cool guys with the good looking chicks, better looking, usually more speed and sport options.
    Bottom line.... 4drs ain't traditional.

11. bonesy

bonesy

I agree - I just love Phaetons!

12. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

you may have joined the wrong site... for numerous reasons

1 - we are all rational here... we for the most part like nice cars, paint, chrome, interiors nicely done, etc.. putting that money into a 4 door is a bad investment as we all know.. and while none of us build cars to MAKE money, we do keep in mind that we may want to move on to something else in the future, or heaven forbid we may end up having to sell the car.. i have a good friend who put about $18k into a 4 door falcon, loved teh car, and just kept going with it.. new interior, chrome redone, new paint.. beaufitul car, but was a 4 door and didnt have the nice lines of a 2 door.. went to sell it, and had to practically beg to get $5k for it.. i felt horrible for him.. selling his baby of years only because he was unemployed and needed money, and took a huge hit on it.. we both agreed that the good times were worth it, altho the car was only done about 6 months before it had to go

2 - 2 doors are more traditional with a few exceptions (4 door merc perhaps), and this IS a traditional hot rod /custom website... so following those guidelines the members here favor 2 doors..

3- this site is all about open and honest talks ... people ask opinions, and they get answers... the OP asked why people "look down on them" .. i can tell him why they do, doesnt mean i look down on them, but i can tell him why people do... not being uppity, but i have an opinion... and im entitled to say it.. i cant think of a single car that looks better as a 4 door, they simply dont exist (other than a 60s lincoln LOL, coupes are ugly, but i wouldnt want hte 4 door suicide door version either)..

i simply dont buy the "cheaper" excuse im sorry.. there are plenty of cool ways around stuff.. to the gentlemen that discussed the 57 2 or 4 door, a 57 chevy is an overpriced car for sure, and thank god they have come down about 70% in the last couple years.. but if i was after something like that i would look at a 57 pontiac or something off brandish.. that can be had for the cash.. or even a 55-56 buick/olds... you see workable ones for affordable prices.. i even know where a 56 ford is right now that could be had for a couple grand and you could drive it away! its all about finding stuff, and not being afraid to spend a couple weeks working to get it on the road.. and like the gentlemen said above me, trucks are 2 doors and are VERY cool and way affordable... simply saying a 4 door is all i can afford doesnt fly with me.. now if you say its what you actually WANT, tahts a different thing... i dont necesarily understand anyone taking a 4 door over a 2 door, but thats their thing, they can do as tehy please..

13. Don't forget...four doors are great for parts.

Kill this thread it sucks.

14. jrstockwagon

jrstockwagon

like everyone else said. if its what you like. dont worry about it. here is my 4 door valiant and my buddies willy's

Attached Files:

15. 1320/150

1320/150

^^^^^ 4 doors and wagons are different!!!

16. OREGONBILLY

OREGONBILLY

You know, when i show up at a car meet, there might be the high and mighty willys coupes there and everyone goes apeshit, but when I show up at least I have something differnet, not plastic, not reproduced andone of akind, i can carry my grandkids and still outrun have the two doors out there. I've been outed many years for having a four door, but i'll tell you what, I drivemy car everywhere and anywhere I want and don;t have a garage queen or trailer queen, my car is a daily driver that can be used. Whens the last time you saw a willys coupe on the street daily?? Bilolk Darland Eugene, Oregon Gasser Gossip NW Representative

17. chubbie

chubbie

WOW! are you guys kid'n me?? Our entire hobbie is based on performance. smaller and lighter with MORE horse power. you chop a top on a car for less wind resistance, slant the "A" piller. lower the suspention, better handeling
    some cars from the factory were more streamlined than others....2 doors!!
    you knock off the door handles because it looks nicer??? NO you remove anything that helps it slip through the air!!! 2 doors are lighter!!!!!! they are FASTER!

18. fauxsmobile

fauxsmobile

2 door guys have to copy the same cars that have been built over and over and over.ive seen enough 4 doors in old mags and little pages to at least say the DID build them back in the day.who cares if there are 2 more doors.the real traditional thing is to build your own stuff and to turn something ugly into something cool.2 doors are the easy way out

19. Abomb

Abomb

I'll take the easy way out then......:D

I don't know why SOME of you 4 door guys are trying so hard, honestly, who cares. The OP asked why people look down on 4 doors, people answered, and now 4 door guys must stand up for their honor ????

I think the OP got his answers, and now this thread is becoming embarrassing, not for me, but can we put these guys out of their self imposed misery and lock the thread now ??

20. vintage tin

vintage tin

I agree wagons don't count in this conversation.
    Wagons have a coolness about them, and a following.
    Four-door cars don't have any loyalty just an occasional admirer.

The only opinion that matters is your own. If you want one, buy one. Figure out what it will take ($$$$) to own and fix the car (any car) and where you think you will be in the end and are comfortable with those numbers then do it. And if you buy something that you like and will be fun to own and drive, makes you happy then it doesn't matter what anybody else says or thinks. You building or buying a car for them or for you? Is your name going to be on the title or Joe Public?

21. WOW! take a 1 hour brake and this many replies and arguements and stuff takes off!! lol
    didnt expect this much of a turnout. lol

Thank you Abomb and those guys who gave me real info and some actual reasoning, not just a bunch of self opinionated bs about why or why not.
    I appreciate it. Those were the answers i was going for,
    Im a young guy who has wayyyy to many questions about every little detail....

Sorry for anyone who may have gotten offended...

ANYWAYS im giving this thread about another hour before i lock it if there is anymore bullshit posted...

22. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Elegant.

23. Tim64

Tim64

I like a 49-51 4 door mercs. A good kustom guy can also turn a four door merc into a two door if you want. I know, i owned one.

24. uglydog56

uglydog56

I like two doors better, but about the fifth time my kids crawled over the rollcage to get in the back and kicked me in the head, I found a 4 door real quick.

25. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

As a OLDER guy ... I can tell you that 4 doors are a bad investment as a general rule. There are exceptions to every rule.

1 ) When painting a car ... 4 doors cost more to paint. They are larger ( more paint ) and have twice the door jams to dress out.

2 ) Glass ... more glass = more $$$ when you are replacing the glass. Same for door fuzzies and weatherstripping.

3 ) More $$$ for the interior also.

4 ) More chrome or stainless on MOST 4 doors.

5 ) As a general rule, 4 doors are in not as good a condition as the same year 2 door. The 4 door sat outside, was a family vehicle and has battle scars, rust and higher mileage issues VS a cool 2 door of the same age and type. The 2 door cars were generally better cared for.

RESELL VALUE ...

If it cost more to fix up a 4 door, and it sells for considerably less $$$ ( and more difficulty ) ... that is a poor investment to me.

Even in 1932 ... Ford made 37,363 Fordor sedans and only about half as many DeLuxe coupes. You rarely ever seen a decent 4 door 32 :) I know there are a few here on the HAMB ... but in all reality they are pretty rare ( I DO LIKE THEM ... I just do not own one ). Most have been took apart as a parts car for the more popular vehicles. Look how many DeLuxe 32 coupes you see. Maybe 10 to 1 ... 32 DeLuxe coupe vs 32 4 door :confused:

Hot Rods were RACED ... and the 4 doors were heavier ( thus slower ). Very few sucessful 4 door RACE CARS in the past. :(

Most here said they had a MORDOR because they are cheaper to buy. The same can be said for vehicles in poor condition. I believe a rodder should try and buy the BEST BODY he can ... and just buy the vehicle ( be it a 2 door or whatever ) that he really wants ... and not waste his time and money on something that was not really what he really wanted and settled for :mad:

:eek:

26. fauxsmobile

fauxsmobile

well not really trying hard to defend our cause ,but when i go to a show i dont wanna see 40 of the same car haha.if every show was full 2dr tri 5 chevys,mercs, 32 fords it would get old pretty fast.sure as a hot rod 4 drs are not really "prime" choice, but as customs why not?i wouldnt want a have a car they actually completely reproduce either .guess were just losers for having cars that we make cool instead of being told they are cool. if we are talking stock yeah a 2 door is worth more no question.?if someone can make a 4 door as nice as a 2 (not saying that mine is or isnt cooler than a 2 dr)and dose all the work on there own isnt that just as good as a 2door?

27. Ok guys knock it off.

My question was answered.
    For all you interested, im looking at buying a couple of 4 doors. Im ALL for them!!

Anyways, emailed a guy to get this locked.

4 door guys, you have nothing you have to prove, your cars are just as cool.
    The coolest cars i have ever seen in person are 4 doors.

fauxsmobile - I agree with your arguement actually and you car is way cool. Dont worry what people say.

28. Ltorch

Ltorch

4 doors arent bad at all .i build a good hand full of them and everyone seemed to like them alot and when done right the 49-51 merc 4 doors look great when chopped the roofs seem to flow aa hell of alot better then 2 doors .had many 2 door mercs and the chops look good but i perfer the 4 door mercs chopped ..and plus the 4 doors seem to be more solid to start with .if you like a 4 door or have a good deal on one grab it dont worrie about what other people think if i thought what other people would think i wouldnt of had some cars i had or chopped .its you who has to drive it and any 4 door old car beats walking or driveing in some new pieace of shit car .

Attached Files:

29. Tx51chevy

Tx51chevy
    from Texas

Got this 4 door for a price that i could have never found a 2 door for. I would rather have a 2 door but oh well, i still like it.
    [​IMG]

30. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Word. Those that have to look at a recepie and follow it to the Nth degree for a build aren't hot rodders but restorers. I used to do classic Mustang clubs and shows until I realized the absurdity of the extent some people will go to just to have the correct date stamped radiator hose clamps, etc. People like that suck the fun out of everything. They are obsessive. Relax and enjoy the car, did you buy it to flip or drive? That would be my question.

This place hasn't been the same since the RRT shut down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.