Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why are 4 doors bad?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53vicky, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok just curious.
    Well my brother was looking at buying a 60 chevy 4 door, i thought it was cool, he thought it was cool, then it sold....
    but when i go to shows, it seems like often times i hear an 'experienced hot rodder' (old guys) say that 4 doors is "just throwing your money away" or "just wasting money on nothing."
    I kinda look at it as (well at least for us young 'n poor guys) that 4 doors are more availible and more affordable.
    So why are some of you 'experienced guys' so against fixing them up?
    why, even when its young guys keeping the sport alive, have something negative to say about "wasting money on 4 doors"?

just curious, cause today i heard a comment was just wanted real traditional guys opinions...

2. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

In my opinion 4 doors just never looked as cool as two. Ive bought foor door cars for good prices, and either just flipped them for more money or let my chick drive em. I think it kinda depends on what kind of car youre talking about also.

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

4. big creep

big creep

two doors too many, but thats just me, although i have seen some pretty cool ones i would never buy one!

5. I'm all about the 4 drs. Wouldn't mind a 2 dr but much cheaper to get into the sport with a 4 dr.

Attached Files:

6. teddyp

teddyp

if you check out a thread i stated awhile ago called cool 4 doors you will see alot of 4 doors built in the past and now when i was in high school(1958-63)alot of guy,s frist cars were thier parent,s old 4 dr and some became pretty cool customs

7. veedolpaul

veedolpaul

I really has nothing to do with tradition as we now know it. What it really comes down to is, back in the 50`s and 60`s, all the really cool cars were two doors. Remember the muscle car era? Nary a four door in the bunch. At least not on the magazine pages. 2 doors drove the market cause they were just cooler. Everyones old man drove a four door because they were practical and grandma could get in the back seat when the family went for that sunday drive. Today you are hard pressed to find a 2 door car with that kind of image, buit the new Camaro, Challenger and Mustang are changing that.

8. flthd

flthd

Im with ya on the affordability and I have a fordor and love it.I would love to have a coupe but I just dont have the cash flow.They all need a good home and if someone dont like it tell em to, well you know the rest.

9. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

2 doors have better lines, are worth more, and are MUCH easier to sell...

i have a 4 door too, oh wait, thats my new toyota daily driver...

no 4 door old cars, most guys call em "parts cars"

keep lookin if its all about budget, you wont regret the wait or a little more work to get into a 2 door...

10. 296ardun

296ardun

I started out in the 50s with the "4-doors are for families," definitely not cool, but then guys started racing 4-door Willys sedans in the gas classes (Pittman & Edwards, etc.) then the Groundshakers built a 4-door 34 fuel sedan, black, looked really wicked, and Chet Herbert ran a 4-door deuce sedan with a Jimmy, and all of a sudden 4-doors started growing on me.....

11. Savannah Red

Savannah Red

Well four doors are great to me!!! They're usually cheap. they can
    look as good or better than some 2-doors. They are always great if
    you want to build a sleeper. I been driving a 4 door wagon for some
    years now. Thanks R. :D

12. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Hmmm, 4 doors vs 2 doors. Yea lika' the two doors. But you can make a wicked custom 4 door and it's been proven in the little books. Nothing wrong with a family cruiser and they are getting harder to find in original state.

13. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

What really matters here is What do you like? Don't pay attention to those guys.I don't care if it is a nice classic,a custom,a rod or what ever there will always be jerks out there that run there mouth about what they think everyone else should have,Screw em.If that is all you can afford and you like it thats fine,enjoy it and cruze it.The people out there that like your ride out number the jerks that don't. Even a 4 door gets smiles and thumbs up at red lights.

14. I'm itching for a 55-57 Chevy 4 door. 2 tone with skinny white walls and an original interior with vintage air. When I get rich & famous this is the next car for me...

15. I wouldnt worry about what people say at car shows.I always hear negative crap about any car at alot of the shows.

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

or their grandmas. :rolleyes:

yep :D

there is not a 4 door out there that looks better than the equivalent 2 door. You can tell yourself that all you want, but it's just not true. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010
  17. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The way I remember it in the 60's they were considered a family car, not cool. Their lines just didn't cut it. All muscle cars & hot rods had two doors. Do what you can afford & make it look right.

18. 62rebel

62rebel

it's a matter of taste, budget, and availability. if they suit your taste, fit your budget, and happen to be the only ones available, what difference does it make?

honestly, it's a wonder there's ANY four door cars left to work with. so many were destroyed to build surviving 2dr cars over the years....

19. yeah teddyP im subscribed to it! lol
    i was just curious was people on here's opinion was.
    I mean for us guys just getting into the sport, for a first hot rod or custom, a 4 door seems like a good option. ( and when i mean hot rod i mean like a cruiser first car, not necissarily racing material)

And i see now, "4 doors were mom and dads car" so that would be like today trying to trick out like a camery or something. Makes sense i guess.

This summer, there was a 59 cadillac 4 door that pulled up to this little weekly show by me. Gorgeous car, and still i heard a couple guys say "would be cool if it wasnt a 4 door..." "what a waste of money to put into"

20. I like 4 doors myself, but if you buy one you'd better like it because chances are you will not be able to unload it. The saddest thing in the world is seeing someone that restored a 4 door and is trying to re-coupe their dough. I really hate it when people try to sell their 4 door on CL or even here and purposely leave out the fact that it's a 4 door in the description and pictures.

21. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This type of thread is the tinder for a flame war. Everyone has their reasons for buying what they have, let them enjoy it, whatever it is. As long as it isn't a death-trap rat rod, keep your snotty comments to yourself if you just don't like it. Those that have built a more door have to put work and talent into them and to say that they aren't worth it is your opinion only, it was worth it to the owner. Take that into consideration.

22. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

Four doors look good on two cars.

23. brad chevy

brad chevy

The 4-doors have always had a bad rap.Even back in the 50s and 60s a 4-door was classified as a grocery getter.This will never change.Just like the crazy thing going on with the 32 Ford,everybody wants one and they are overpriced,nobody wants the 4-doors so they sell cheap. Drive what you like and can afford .Most of the idiots running their mouths at the shows are just car flippers and rich ass goldchainers anyway.

24. I know i lovvvvvve my 53 2dr ht, and am very fortunant to have gotten my hands on it, but i know i that if it wasnt in my family i couldnt afford to get some of these 2 doors. not trying to start any arguements saying which one is really better, because it all is just opinion when it comes to looks...but the 2 doors do go for more, so i obviously they are more desireable.

25. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

Don't care if it ain't cool. I like what I like. If somebody thinks that is a waste of money, fine. I will stand by my opinion. I like the odd stuff. If I got in this hobby to make money I would be the moron. I do it because it is fun and the cars are my way of staying sane. Insult my car and that is near fighting words.

26. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Aren't they called club cabs? ha, I'll scan some little book 4 doors tomorrow that are quite okay.

27. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

+1 on that

28. big creep

big creep

or when they ask for big $$$$$$$ like its a two door.

29. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Eh, I don't think the younger crowd really cares about the two versus four debate. Your comparison to tricking out a Camry isn't valid in my opinion. I think a better comparison would be to tricking out a mini-van. Who knows sometime when us young guys turn into old farts we'll be complaining about those foolish kids wasting money on old minivans.

30. rodder12

rodder12

well i think there cool and ive been noticeing more and more that the "old guys" are buying them up because its just easyier to get in i think but you and i both know that a 60 chevy is bad a** MAN .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.