Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. bowsher21

bowsher21

Hey PICKLE What group did you race with and any more picks of other cars (Ford)

2. Boodlum

Boodlum

Got one of Smokey's own T-shirts of #13. Was in Daytona for Bike Week around 1996 and stopped by Smokey's shop. His daughter dug around his desk in the Skunk Works and pulled it out. Just gave it to me. Talk about being happy! In the permanent collection, it's never been worn.

3. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the note, B.A., albeit sad. R.C. was a tremendous supporter of stock car racing and a class individual.

4. Crew Member

Crew Member
    from Indiana

I just found this site. I helped on all the the Ward Racing cars thru the 70's and until they stopped when Nascar downsized the cars after 1980. Wayne is still running some Modified races but I have not talked to him for quit awhile. How do you post pictures on here and I will try to post some.

5. tallzag

tallzag

Hey Crew Member,

Are you talking about Buddy Ward Garage out of Kentucky or a different Ward?

6. www.historicgrandnational.com

Tons of pictures and event coverage...

7. Dick Whittington

Dick Whittington

Believe it is the old Hillsboro 9/10 mile dirt track. Enoch Staley and Bill France operated it

8. Crew Member

Crew Member
    from Indiana

Tallzag I was talking about Ward racing in Celina, Ohio. Waco Waye Wattercutter was the driver. They ran ARCA, USAC, and a few NASCAR races.

9. Crew Member

Crew Member
    from Indiana

10. lawman

lawman

Talking about Buddy Ward .Does anyone have pictures of Louisvillies
    Bubby Ward driving at the Louisville fairgrounds track ? He drove for Harvey Fluhr at onetime in the #99 57 chevy. thanks Tom (tired Old Man)

11. AllenK

AllenK

That track has been turned into a walking trail! It's really awesome. You can walk all the way around the track,and they have begun work on restoring the buildings at the track. The concrete stands are still in remarkable shape except for the tree that has grown through them!

I think the place sat dormant for close to 40 years. I highly recommend visiting the park if you're in the area.

http://historicspeedwaygroup.org/

12. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Crew Member - check out my post on 5-2-2010, Page 158 (Post # 3150). Is this one of your cars ?

The Oldtimer

13. DDRE

DDRE
    from Michigan

Just to let you all know, Paul Zimmerman longtime owner and promoter of Spartan Speedway in Lansing Mi. passed away today. If you met him once you were a friend, if you ever raced for him you always were made to feel appreciated, and if you ever raced the figure eight traveling series you couldnt wait to go race for Poor Paul. By far one of the best and nicest people in racing. You will be missed Paul. God Speed!

14. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

The old promoters who related so well to the racers seem to be disappearing. I never met Paul, but I'm sure he was my kind of guy. RIP.

15. Crew Member

Crew Member
    from Indiana

Old Timer,

That picture was before Wayne drove for Ward racing. This was the first ARCA car that was raced at Daytona.

16. Crew Member

Crew Member
    from Indiana

Here are a couple more pics from Ward Racing

17. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

18. rcrcr1

rcrcr1

I promised myself I wouldn't post until I finished looking at all the pages. So I finally made it. Have some cars from the Rockford Short Track Championships from 1971. Here goes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. rcrcr1

rcrcr1

20. That was probably a pic after he won at New Yorks Fonda Speedway. If so, I was there for that race, and yeah, it was on dirt :cool:.

Could've also been at Malta, Albany Saratoga Speedway, but Richard looks fairly dirty.

21. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

Great pics from 71 I was there for the race I have wanted to find pics of Joe Shear and Dave Watson in these cars for a long time Thank you for posting them if you have any more post them..

22. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

rcrcr1 - Thanks for posting the pix of Rockford. It is one of the eighty-four different tracks I've managed to attend through the years. Got to see races there three different times. (Had some relatives in Pecatonica, and every year we'd visit, so...)
    Post some more, if you have them ! Thanks
    the Oldtimer

23. dirt11353

dirt11353

Tommy Thompson still helping in louisville
    Local business owner, wife leave $2.3 million to Kosair Children's Hospital

<IFRAME style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: hidden; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 495px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; HEIGHT: 26px" src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http://www.wave3.com/story/13728288/local-business-owner-wife-leave-23-million-to-kosair-childrens-hospital&layout=after&show_faces=false&width=495&height=26&action=recommend&colorscheme=light" frameBorder=0 scrolling=no allowTransparency></IFRAME>
    Posted:<SCRIPT type=text/javascript orgFontSize="9px"> wnRenderDate('Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:26 PM EST', '', true);</SCRIPT> Dec 22, 2010 2:26 PM EST <NOSCRIPT orgFontSize="10px"></NOSCRIPT><!--END wnDate-->Updated:<SCRIPT type=text/javascript orgFontSize="9px"> wnRenderDate('Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:26 PM EST', '', true);</SCRIPT> Dec 22, 2010 2:26 PM EST <NOSCRIPT orgFontSize="9px"></NOSCRIPT><!--END wnDate-->
    <!--END WNStoryHeader-->
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (PLATFORM.EventMan) PLATFORM.EventMan.triggerEvent('WNStoryRelatedBoxdone');</SCRIPT><!--END WNStoryRelatedBox-->LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - Local business owner Howard W. "Tommy" Thompson and his wife, Margaret L. "Peggy" Thompson, of Louisville have left a $2.3 million gift to Kosair Children's Hospital to support the area of greatest need.
    "The Thompsons were very conservative people with a desire to help advance the mission of the hospital," said Frank X. Clements, CPA, Mulligan, Hill, Clements & Co. PSC. "They were fortunate enough to be able to leave this legacy and help children in our community for years to come."
    A long-time volunteer at the Kosair Children's Hospital gift shop, Peggy had a soft spot in her heart for children with medical needs. She had a connection to the medical world, having served as a nurse on a naval ship in World War II.
    "She was a delightful person," Clements said. "She led a very active life and was an avid bridge player until her death in 2005 from a heart attack."
    Tommy was president of the family-run Thompson-Kissel Co. Inc., a Butchertown company founded by his father in 1935 that provided commercial air conditioning and refrigeration services. He ran the business until he sold it in 1992.
    Outside of the family business, Tommy's passion was auto racing. He made a mark racing on the NASCAR circuit, first on the sands of Daytona Beach in 1950 and then winning the Motor City (Michigan) 250 on Aug. 12, 1951. In 1958, he helped build Fairgrounds Motor Speedway in Louisville, introducing Figure 8 racing to this area. He also was a long-time member of the Masonic Lodge 456, Kosair Shrine Temple. He died in 1996.
    The gift to Kosair Children's Hospital includes funds bequeathed by the Thompsons' daughter, Charlotte S. Thompson, who lost a battle with lung cancer in July 2010.
    "The generosity of the Thompsons will create a future for so many children in Kentucky and Southern Indiana," said Lynnie Meyer, MSN, R.N., executive director, Children's Hospital Foundation. "Kosair Children's Hospital treats more than 116,000 children every year, and the support of people like the Thompsons helps the Children's Hospital Foundation ensure that we have a top tier hospital to serve these children's needs."

<!--END WNStoryBody-->

24. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

Here are some more Pics from Rockford Speedway the first 2 are of Chet Scott from the 60s these came from Chet's Granddaughter Tracy
    [​IMG][/URL][/img]
    [​IMG]Chad Knaus's Dad John
    [​IMG]
    I don't know where I got this photo but its Don Leach in the mid 60s
    [​IMG]
    I don't know for sure but I think this is Joe Shears father Al from about 1965
    [​IMG]If anyone want more I will post some later..

25. Racewriter

Racewriter

I can ID a few of the Rockford pics. #36 Chevelle is obviously Joe Shear. The Fairlane behind Shear is, I believe, Wayne Stallsworth from Colorado. The 37 is Dave Watson. The 85 is post 3967 is John Prior, from Centralia, IL.

Keep 'em coming!

26. rcrcr1

rcrcr1

More pictures Hemiman. Ron Wishard was my guy. You're right Racewriter, Don Leach is in the 59. Wayne Swartout is in the 28. I went to school in Denver and saw Wayne Stallsworth race alot. 10 years ago I was in Indy for the US Nationals and was going through the manufacturers row trailers. I saw a guy at the GM Performance trailer that looked familiar but couldn't place him until I read his name tag, Wayne Stallsworth. He was amazed someone knew him from the stock car side at a drag race. Both pictures tonight are Mopar (including a Hemi) but No names were on the pictures. Pretty sure they are are not local Rockford cars. By the way the car count for the 71 Short Track Championships, 112.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

The car beside Shear's #36 is Eric Johnson in the Leggy 7 from the Chicagoland area here is a B&W of that car from Waukegan
    [​IMG]

The #5 Chevelle I am pretty sure is Boyce Sparkman's a Rockford Local
    the 2 Mopars I don't know I cant remember those two cars.
    Here is a pic of Wayne Stallworths Torino from I think about 1972
    [​IMG]
    here is another pic from Rockford in the 60s again I don't know where I got nor who's cars are in in it.
    [​IMG]

28. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

Thanks for Posting these RCRCR1 Ron Wishard I remember him my uncle owned LLoyds Frame and Axle and used to do front end work on his car and a lot of others as well. Do you remember Ron's Yellow 57 Olds with Yogy Bear on the side? I tried to track down pics from the speedway years ago and got to Ron's brother who was the manager at City Body but never hooked up to get any pics I have heard Stan Burdick has 1000s of pics but can't get ahold of him..Interesting and great story on Stallsworth thanks for sharing.

29. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

Cool pics from Rockford.........Does anybody have any pics from southeastern wis...(I believe the track photographer was RPM photography at Hales) Hales Corners , Cedarburg, a little further north, Shawano, Seymour,Marshfield and Leo's etc...vintage early seventies.....1972 was the first year for late models at the Corners. Fellow Hambers,Thanks for posting and taking the time to scan these pics in...

30. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

Sorry I wasn't much into Dirt Tracks but here is a site for you if you remember the drivers name they may have some photos of him Remember Tom Greenlee he ran a lot of Wisc Dirt Tracks after he quit running Rockford this site has a lot of pics
    http://www.dirtfans.com/DirtRacing101.html