Register now to get rid of these ads!

warning if your buying a willys kit.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevnut55, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chevnut55

chevnut55
    from ma.

i bought a 41 willys kit from bad boy customs in tn. a few years ago and im still trying to figure out what to do with this junk..and im a pro fab/body shop!
    i looked around taked to different companys,this guy said he had the best kit and price and bad talked all the others,so i orderd from him.when i sent a driver all the way from ma. to pick it up he would not take my check i gave to him..even though i already paid him 75% up front,he told the driver to come back next week! after alot of yelling and threating he took the check.
    when the willys arrived i had all my buddys here waiting to see it and help unload,no one could belive how bad it was,it made me sick.
    not one panel on the car even comes close to fitting,there are no inner structures to hindge the doors trunk,intera. everything was warped so bad it did not even look like a willys! the custom frame he bragged about was just a steel box that i could have built myself with scrap steel and a welder and a 30 pack!
    nothing was included no hindges,fastners,tracks,glass,handels,just a junk body with some useless fiberglas parts that were not even bonded together.
    3 years latter and im still tring to do something with it,i have called them several times and they just insist that i just do not know what i am doing and it easy to put together,i am a pro fab/body shop owner,and i build cobra kit cars ,so i can fix almoast anything. but this is so bad i will have to make my own body panels,rebuild the frame,and try to find or make everything else. the car will never see paint and will just be a rat rod..even after all the work that i will need to do to it.
    if your looking for a good kit try outlaw,i almoast cry everytime i see one..if i had bought their kit,i would be driving a black flamed willys gasser right now!

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Caveat Emptor.

3. The proof is in the PICTURES.

4. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

Your first mistake was ignoring that he "bad talked all the others." I never buy anything from anyone who is intent on criticizing his competition.

5. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Not to add more to your insult but the pic on there site looks like dog Shite.........

6. ABBoston

ABBoston
    from Boston

I agree - when anyone talks bad about their competition I see it as a red flag and graciously exit the establishment.

AB

7. ^^^^^^what he said! Learned years ago, a bust is a boost. Really unfortunate circumstances. Isn't hindsight always 2020! Thanks for the heads up on this. Hope it helps someone else down the road.

8. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

What he said.:eek:

9. mickeyc

mickeyc

Hill Side Street Rods in Covington Louisiana builds a real nice Willys body.
    It is hard to tell one from steel. He also builds rollers or turn key cars.
    I have seen several and they are excellant.

10. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

On the topic of not taking a check. I would've asked before hand if a check for the remaining balance was ok. I hate checks, 99% of the time I dont take them, I don't right them to people when I buy stuff, cash cash cash! If this kit you bought was so bad -post pics, you almost sound like a rep from Outlaw disguised as a disgruntled customer trying to bash bad boy cust.

11. Work it out with Bad Boy...slamming them on the HAMB will get you nowhere. Anyone had good luck with "Bad Boy"?

12. I like how when I google Bad Boy Customs, three of the suggested entries google gives me are about complaints. Bad website pics too.......

13. chevnut55

chevnut55
    from ma.

i have been meaning to write something waring people somewhere. i have tryed to work it out with them..it aint happening. the check was agreed on..he took the first 7k check so he was trying to scam me,he only took the check after i said im contacting better buisness . the picturs on his site looked ok to me for the price..3k cheaper and he said all the other companys bodys were from the same mold as his..and that what i wanted,not a finished car with ac and a blown big block.
    i have tryed to return it and report him before touching it for the 1st year i had it with no luck at all. now that i cut into it and tring to do something with it its too late anyways. i just hope no one else gets screwed by him. so im saying if your buying a kit of any car..dont make my mistake!look at is before buying and pick it up yourself.

Attached Files:

14. agreed!!

Richo427 likes this.
  15. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

After seeing that pic, I can why you're so depressed. That's awful. The hood doesn't even fit the nose. I think you should try to sell it as is, and cut your losses. Maybe you can find a drag racer that doesn't care so much about the look, or a kid that wants a low buck project to tinker on. Just tell them up front, it's never going to be a show car, and what they're up against. Good luck with it.

16. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I won't "pile on" - you've probably beat yourself up over this more than any of us could do, and it's not productive anyway. Your intentions are laudable - to warn and inform.

I don't know how this transpired without you asking for a complete list of what was included in the price (interior bracing, hinge points, frame configuration) and pictures of exactly what he was selling. That way at least there'd be the option to sue for "failure to perform".

dj

17. chevnut55

chevnut55
    from ma.

true,at the time i just did not know. know i build kit cars for people and know what to look for.
    i am know trying to make the best from it ,if i can figure out how to make wood supports and cut apart and re -shape the rest of the panels,it will look ok..never good enough for paint but a primered gasser that will look like the willys in the movie hot rod.
    i had to change my dream a bit ..it will never be the black flamed all steel looking gasser i wanted but im into it too deap now to give up.
    if i did not have the fab/fiberglass skills needed though i do not think anyone else could ever build anything from it.

18. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

That's why I always check feedback on bbb.com

A friend of mine owns a hot rod shop. A lot of their cars are award winners, thought not Hamb friendly. He took in an unfinished project. The body was so bad, he had to remove it from the frame, place it on a dolly and build a whole new inner structure. You couldn't place a hand on the body without it tilting. Now $130K later, its an award winner, but.....I won't name the kit make as I heard they have sued in the past for defamation. I will say the body is so flimsy, the door garnish moldings are built into the doors. They are so thin, the glass scratches going up and down, plus if the glass breaks, you have to bend the new glass to get it into the door. (3 pieces of glass later) My buddy hates to see that car come through the doors of his shop.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  19. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I bought a used Bad Boys body. I contacted them about parts and sent them $1000. I was told they would get them right out to me. After over two months of excuses, I asked for a refund. Waited two weeks with no refund and then contacted the Tennessee attorney general's office. The jumped on them and I got the refund. Buyer beware!

20. willeys41

willeys41
    from seattle

I bought a OutLaw in 1990 still driving it w/no one crack.Have 28000 mi on it.Its a driver,6 diff states.Put in Roadster show,took second and in st rodder mag.SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A OUTLAW

21. the-rodster

the-rodster

This pic is from their website....

[​IMG]

You must be building it wrong :)

Rich

22. Sorry to hear about your nightmare man. " PAY PEANUTS AND YOU HIRE MONKEYS". I got screwed by Helix AKA The Hoffman Group with a Mustang front end. Absolute crap. I ended up going to Welder series for their crossmember.I got it up the butt as well.never again... Buyer beware, TBJ

23. metalshapes

metalshapes

And not even close to anything Traditional.

So its Off Topic for the HAMB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.