Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stupid Chrysler question.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gaskell, Dec 20, 2010.

1. gaskell

gaskell
    from CO

OK, boys and girls....
    I have a 62 Chrysler Newport (very much like the 300). I am trying to get the F!*#$ window cranks off and cant figure it out... Anyone have any guidance?
    I have looked for a pin... cant find one. Looked for a snap ring.. does not look like the head comes off to reviel a screw.. Just dont want to break anything as everything is hard to find for this car.

Thanks in advance.
    -LarryG

2. its probobally got a spring loaded clip.. ya need a handle remover tool...

3. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

I've got a NewYorker with power windows so I don't know for sure but there's probably a springloaded clip on the back which somewhat locks the handle onto the square shaft. If it's the same as on the late '50s cars, you need to hold the crank in the 12 o'clock position and then push on the clip from either the left or rightside of the handle.
    There is only a small edge on this clip to push on so it can take a couple of tries to get it loose.

I believe there are some pics in a topic on the ForwardLook.net forum, but using search on that site sucks major A so you'll have more luck finding it by letting Google do the searching there like this;
    Google Search

O well, here ya go...
    http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9023&mid=50030

4. There is a c-clip on the handle, hard to see. My '66 Newport has them, you have to push the trim panel in a little around the handle area. Do yourself a favor and buy the clip tool, if you don't the dang think will fly across the room (I speak from experience). The only other possiblility would be a screw in the middle of the crank, look close and see if there is a cover over the center of the handle.

5. ndeconte

ndeconte

Yea, 62 I'm not sure if it's a screw or the Sping C clip.

The C clips can be a pain to get off without the clip tool. It can be done, but it takes some trying.

6. sololobo

sololobo

As they said, just get the tool and then it is a piece of pie! ~sololobo~

7. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

my friend used to call those jesus clips, cause after it flew across the shop, you'd be walking around sayin' jesus where did it go??!!

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Squablow

Squablow

No, it's not a screw, no, it's not a pin, NO, it's NOT a C-clip. Read through this thread for pics and the process of removing the handle. You have to use a tool to push the square clip over to one side, and then it slides off, the clip remains in the handle.

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533323&highlight=clip

Or, feel free to spend a few frustrating hours looking for a C clip or a screw that isn't there because a bunch of people who didn't know any better told you what to look for.

10. pcterm2

pcterm2

listen to Squablow-he knows what he speaks of

11. gaskell

gaskell
    from CO

All, thanks. Great leads and even a diagram to make the tool I need. Love the HAMB Happy Holidays.
    -LarryG