Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1962 Corvair Altered/Gasser/Street Freak

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Richard D, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Call it whatever you want. The other thread went 5-6 pages before I really did much, so I am going to put just the tech stuff here.
    Original thread:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531331
    This is a super-low budget project.
    It was taken apart, painted, and never re-assembled. Some dude yanked the doors and sold it to me. All the trim, doors, and windshield are gone. I bought this car for $235 delivered to my house. Got $50 in the rear axle(S-10; I'm sure it will pop quick, then I can put in a proper axle), and $50 in the front axle('47-'54 Chevy Truck), and $10 in the rear springs(from the same '47-'54 Chevy). I'm robbing the engine and trans from a '77 GMC I have sitting out back(I have a Hemi and a 6-71 in the garage for someday), it runs pretty stong in the 3500(?) lb. truck. The Corvair weighs 2300 lbs. stock, and I'm stripping it down as much as possible, so it should haull ass pretty good in this thing.
    The day I got it home:
    [​IMG]
    After rolling the axles under there:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cut out the old trunk:
    [​IMG]
    Put her under the knife today. I don't think this car was ever wrecked up front, kinda a shame to cut her up. Oh well, little miss Cute Corvair, meet Mean Mr. Metabo!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looks like I need to notch the "firewall" a bit.
    [​IMG]
    I think it will fit just fine. I'll be able to keep the hood springs, and possibly the wiper motor(like I'll really need it).
    [​IMG]

2. Checking radiator clearance:
    [​IMG]
    May even fit a fan clutch in there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Started on the frame today. I think I have figured out how to cure my steering problem. I unbolted the box, and trimmed the bottom of the stock subframe. I shaped a piece of 2"x3" tubing to follow the contour. I believe I can let the whole steering column/box slide forward a bit and not need to use a u-joint. I may have to clearance the new framerail a bit to clear the nut on the pitman arm, but the arm wont need to be bent.
    [​IMG]h
    You can see in the photo below, where the steering box was originally mounted. I'll cut out a piece of 3/8" steel plate, and drill and tap new mounting holes to mount the steering box on the new framerail. The steering arm on the spindle(green tape on the ball joint) will still need heating and bending.
    [​IMG]

3. This is a '47-'54 chevy truck axle. If I lay a level on the spring pad, is the caster zero degrees? I'm guessing I need 7-10 degrees caster, considering the high center of gravity and short wheelbase.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Woo-F'in Hoo!! I'll be watching this thread for updates. I love off-the-wall rods! :D

5. roadking41a

roadking41a
    from NC

Sweet!!! I read your first thread and glad you are going ahead with it.

6. 63wickedduce

63wickedduce
    from atwater mn

awesome man keep it up

7. Got the front framerails tied together today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The front frame bolts in where the original crossmember mounted. Front shackles will mount on the 2" square tube running left to right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  8. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

Oh man, don't feel bad for cutting up a Corvair- I spend at least three hours a day thinking about them and I could care less, they made 150,000 '62s, that's one for every single man, woman, transexual and child in Tallahassee, FL..

If it doesn't have at least a windshield it's pretty much fair game for anything.. Sofa conversion, chicken coops (or coopés?), snowmobile or boats, whatever you sick HAMB bastards do with body shells. I'm sure it won't be long before somebody cuts one of these into quarters and sections it over '32 rails..

V8 'vairs are the best, the LS1's aren't as cool as the 215 Buicks in the back, but what you're doing is just right!

Except you should have used a Lakewood if it's gonna be a gasser. :cool:

[​IMG]

9. Muttley

Muttley

Richard D luz más natural más Corvair es igual a la locura más.

10. llonning

llonning

I am going to be watching this very closely. Going to be interesting.

11. Got about 4" on each side for headers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I will have to notch the front crossmember to fit the radiator, or set the engine back far enough to put the radiator behind the Xmember.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Heated and bent the pitman arm a bit; should clear with no problem, once the box is mounted to the new framerail.
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]
    Looks like there will be plenty of footroom.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The gas pedal will be where the brake was, the brake will be where the clutch was. I don't wanna hear any shit about running an auto; automatics have been dominating the strip since B&M came out with the Hydrostick in the late 50s.

12. Very cool and streetable too..........you going to radius the wheel wells or just sit it up high enough to clear,like in the 1st pic

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So what's with the automatic?? Jeezz...

Sorry, had to do it bro. I like where this is going so far. Off the wall but not ignorantly high off the ground. Kool. 5" for headers is plenty of room. As to the axle, if you set the angle finder on the pad and level it to zero, take a reading off of the front side of the kingpin boss. Find a "plane" to check it and I think you'll find that there's a bit of caster already in it. I don't know how much but there's some. My AD truck appears to have some in the OEM axle but it's 41 miles away right now so I can't check it for ya. I think it's kool you're using "real" parts too. Good luck and I'll be watchin too.

14. HAHAHAHA! My "someday" plan is to put in a blown Hemi I have waiting for rebuild, and a real Hydrostick. For now, just the old standby, 350/350 combo, dressed to look vintage.

Thanks for the axle info, I'll check it out.

15. I'm liking this... If I succumb and do a drag-style vehicle, it's have to be Corvair... but a late, topless, extended front end funny car... with a roll cage sticking up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  16. This is officially gonna be the meanest corvair i have ever seen. I like it.

17. Muttley

Muttley

18. Is the auto because you cant work the clutch with those little chicken legs of yours? Haha! Just kidding Richard! Rock on rock-orvairmaniac!

19. kisam

kisam

Wow, first time I have seen you without flip flops on!!!
    [​IMG]

20. Toner283

Toner283

Awesome build, can't wait for more.

21. Hellfish

Hellfish

Awesome! Keep it up!

22. Good one! No, the auto is what I have on hand; plus by the 60s autos were very common on the strip. Unfortunatley, I had a stroke and made a couple trips to the hospital over the holidays, so I spent almost all my vacation time in bed(not having fun) instead of finishing up the frame as I had planned.:mad: My buddy Levi(KonaKruisers)is camping in my spare bedroom; I may be able to convince him to work on this thing in the evenings while I supervise(what's new).

23. Well, don't I feel like an ass now. I hope you feel better Richard. Take care of yourself, the cars can wait.

Mike

24. No need to feel bad for me, I'll survive. I just hate being cooped up, need to get back out in the garage!

25. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

RichardD, I have been following this madness in your other thread and enjoying your updates immensely. When I saw the link to this thread I clicked on it immediately, good stuff here.
    You had a stroke at 42? Good Lord man, take care of yourself ya hear? Eat less of the fatback ok? Good luck with your recovery and this wild little Chevy.

26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Subscribed. My first car was a '64 Monza Spyder, soft spot still for Corvairs.

Crazy bastard! :D

27. roadking41a

roadking41a
    from NC

Get back on your feet soon.

28. Well I'm out of the hospital now and O.K., thanks for all the well-wishing, I hope to get back to work on the car now, just gotta take it easy.

29. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

this thing is the ultimate school notebook doodle monster!

30. garage time equals "ocupational therapy" doesnt it? Heal up good now! Y'hear?