Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Steel tubing for fuel and vacuum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratkiller, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Ratkiller

Ratkiller
    from San Diego

I just bought a dual Offy intake for my Ford 223. And want rebuild all the fuel and vacuum lines going to the two Holley 1904s, but I have no idea of what size I need or where to get it and the connecters.

I got this pic from a fellow member, but he bought this setup used and could not help. But this is exactly what I want to do, with my setup. If anybody can help I would appreciate it.

[​IMG]

2. 3/16" for vac. 3/8" for fuel. Your parts store will have it, fuel and brake line in sticks. They will also have an assortment of Edelman or equivalent fittings.

3. You also need to know you'll be cutting to fit as needed. Fuel lines need to be double flared to get a good seal. Make sure you know what your doing before you do a line you intend to use. Don't buy a cheep Harbor Freight tool to do this with. They are not hard to do with a Quality tool but do take a little practice. Your also going to want to use a good bender.
    The Wizzard

4. ckunsman89

ckunsman89
    from cocoa, FL.

x2 on that. flare fittings should not require teflon, the flare should do all of the sealing. You can buy all of the fittings and tubing at the local hardwareor auto parts store. I invested in a good snap-on flare tool and special pliers for bending tubing. Both quality tools that produce reliable, professional results every time.

5. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

Use teflon thread dope or loctite sealer on fuel line threads, not teflon tape. I use an Imperial adjustable 180-degree bender from Summit for my tubing bends. Good tool will keep the line from kinking, expect to pay 50-100 for a quality tool. You want one that will do 180-degree bends. Use a coat hanger or some bailing wire to make templates before you bend the tubing.

6. Skidmore

Skidmore
    from San Marcos

Here's mine

Attached Files:

7. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

Also, brake and fule lines use 45-degree flares, but AN fitting use 37-degree flares, and they are not interchangeable. You can use 45 on An, but it will leak and can damage the AN fitting. Just FYI.

The sealant is more a backup and to lock the threads, not to a bandaid for poor flares. Most brake kits use a thread sealant on brake and fuel line fittings.

8. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Contrary to the info posted do not use sealant on flared fittings. The flared fitting is the seal.
    I would have thought the majority of people understood that.

9. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

10. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

you might contact Torino Motor Racing ( TMR ) in Orange CA 714-771-1348 . they sell all types of fittings and could be of some help.

11. 1952henry

1952henry

I had suggested on another board, and in a private message, to try online metals for stainless. On the other board he was asking about aluminum. I fugured he wanted something shiny.