Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A- Wood or Steel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Duke, May 18, 2009.

1. Duke

Duke

I need to decide if I am going to replace the wood in my 29 coupe with wood or metal. What have you done? I was planning on replacing the door posts and wood above the doors with metal and using wood in the roof and then using a metal insert. Any opinions? I don't really want to nail my car together. Has anyone built the 28/29 front header out of metal, it seems like a difficult piece.
    Thanks

2. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I have two 29 coupes. Both have filled tops with the original header crown used (welded in) up front. They both also have all the wood in them. One still retains the nails to hold the skin to the door posts. This car has been on the road since 1989 and still holding together good. On the other body I welded the skin to the door post, but left the nails to hold the wood. They are more for looks though since the welding holds it all together now. On this one I also made a 1" tube curve up and across the top to tie the 2 door posts together. I then bolted a wood top bow to it so there will still be something to tack the headliner to.

My Dad has upholstered a few cars, so I know how important it is to keep as much wood in a car to tack the cloth to.

3. robert1

robert1

Im wondering about this as well. does anyone have pics of their metal conversions?

4. RABrods

RABrods

I have been looking for threads on this same topic, anyone have pictures and write up of how they did it?

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Most of my wood was hard and in good condition, so rather than pulling it all out, I just replaced the crappy stuff, back with wood from SVF

6. RABrods

RABrods

I plan on at least steel for the A pillar to stiffen them up a little since I am going to put in new "bearclaw" latches. I am also filling the roof with steel. So do you guys ever just get rid of the wood altogether and not put steel back in some areas...for example around the rear windows?