Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whos Buying Old Wheels ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carlos, Dec 19, 2010.

1. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"just pulled these of bay the for tires and wheels have a but it now $2600 and the pair is out there too:confused: "

What does that mean??

In any event, one can ask anything they want for an item. If you don't want to pay that much, just walk away. If nobody will buy at that price, then the Seller has to lower his price to sell the item.

Why is that a difficult concept?

2. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Good post....
    In my area I constantly search Craigslist, as well as yard sales.
    If I find something (Wheels, Transmission, or other) that is really a great price, I buy it.
    I will either use it soon, or re sell it to one of my buddies at a reasonable price, or my cost. Works for me.......
    I should add that I am retired, and have the time to do this....
    Cheers,

3. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65
    from Detroit

I just scored a pair of Ansen Sprint front runners, 15 x 4, for free. Dude gave them to me for my B stock shitbox. They are in great shape and at the polisher right now. He also has a set of ETs I am going to get too.

Just got to know where to look, no one is buying wheels for those outrageous prices.

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

When I started building my Austin gasser I wanted to find some vintage slots. Looked for skinnies and wides on Craigslist for a long time, and put the word out to many friends. Patience paid off finally from two sources. Got a pair of 5.5x14 fronts for $35, and from another guy a pair ofrare 8.5x15 for $100.

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hey Carlos, You'll be extremely lucky if you can score a killer deal at your keyboard.
    I'm the same style as Desoto. It takes time and patience-not to mention getting your ass out to swap meets in the wee hours. Don't be afraid do do some horse tradin too.

The fully polished Americans on the 34 in my avatar;

I've got about $300 total in the set of 4.

The rear 15 x 8's were passed up by a few folks at a car swap meet because they were painted and curb rashed something terrible. I paid $40 for the pair. They wouldn't chuch up in my lathe, so I paid a local guy in the heighborhood (who had a big ass lathe in his shop) another $30 to completely return the edges and lips on them.

The 14x6 fronts I paid $25 for the pair at a local drive-in swap meet. The spokes wee totally dinged to hell from lug wrench and impact gun abuse. I didn't want to have polished spokes but they were so bad I had to polish the spokes to save them, so off to the polisher they went.

Scored a set of NOS American caps for $20.

These are original Americans, which I like better than the newer rounded spoke verions.

6. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

Wheels are still out there........I bought 4 14x6 ET 5 spokes (Torque Thrust style) with new center caps for $80.00. If I mix and match I can make 2 sets of big and littles with the 4 15x7 I already have. Speaking of the 15x7's I think I had 2 of them for 15yrs before I found another pair.

7. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

What the f........ does the above sentence say?

8. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

I feel your pain. I've got a 40 Plymouth and have been looking for a set of 20" high clearance Plymouth wheels for it. They were an option for my car from the factory, so I thought they would be super kool to run. These wheels are rare, and as you may know are sought after by traditional hot rod guys for salt flat cars so...they are hard to find, and EXPENSIVE. I found a pair of NOS on here for $1200 FIRM. I understand why they are priced that way, and that they are rare, and cool, and supply and demand, and blah blah blah...but it still SUCKS. Reality is that I won't be running the wheels that I really want, but the stock 16" steelies will do the job.
    At the end of the day there will always be an affordable set of wheels to run...the car won't be on jack stands because I can't afford wheels. However, if you want the super rare, super kool vintage stuff, you have to have money, a lot of money.
    -Mr. Bill

if you're interested here is the add I was looking at: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521756&highlight=high+clearance+wheels
    anyone want to sell a poor kid a set of these? Hot rod charity? Like feeding the hungry :D

9. I normally run on old wheels. I shop until I find what I want at what I am willing to pay. With about one or two exceptions in my life I have always run everyone else's cast off pieces.

You are absolute correct I have seen people asking stupid money for old used up wheels. I don't know if they are getting it but they are asking way more than the wheel is actually worth.

10. I have bought and sold vintage wheels for many years, and I'm always on the hunt. I always keep an eye on yardsales, the bulletin board at the local speed shop, and Craigslist. I was buying Torq-Thrusts 25yrs ago before they became the rage, and you know where I had the best luck? The local metal recycler! I can't imagine how many of them met the smelter because some dumbshit metal scavenger had no clue what they were truly worth.

As far as the guy on ebay (I recognized the picture) who asks HUGE amounts for his stuff, I don't get too spun up. I doubt that he's selling much at those prices, but P.T. Barnum was right: There's a sucker born every minute.

I prefer to buy and sell with fair prices because as a buyer, I don't like to get burned, and as a seller, I don't want to be doing a deal where I know I'm bending the guy over. Integrity, I guess. I've always felt that when you turn a fellow hot-rodder on to a good deal, then something even better is coming your way.

11. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Well Said Flat-n-low,Ansen Sprints were hot Had a set on a 67rs camaro I believe the fronts were 6 and the rear were 10 with n-50 s on the rear in 1972

12. rat nasty

rat nasty

chrome reverse wide & skinny's,steelies big in lil's,or slots the same! they are cool lookin i think and cheaper than the magnesiums! till ya score a great deal?be patient!later!
    I have 4 16x10 6 lug slots CHEAP,4 15x8.5 slots unilug CHEAP and 4 15x8.5 chevy pattern slots not as CHEAP if interested? located in Ky.

13. yeah it is sh$% I found a 29 Roadster down the street from me I asked the old lady how much (now this thing has been siting for about 30to 40 some odd years) the old Lady said 8700.00 :eek: I said are you nuts I can get a driver for less well then she droped it down to about 8600.00 long story short I know what you mean some Peps are smoking something

14. the_guy

the_guy

I just picked up a good set of 5 original Falcon rims (the hard to find four lug) 13x5 I believe, off a 61 coupe. Would be happy to pass them on to anyone that needs a set. I just bought them because I haven't been able to find them and the guy posted that their next resting place would be the dump.

15. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I have a pair that I've had since '76 and am thinking about selling, and would be great for a roadster- 11x16 mag Torq-Thrusts with nice 12.50x16 Racemasters, Olds/Pontiac pattern. The only reason I'm thinking about selling is I want to finish my Falcon drag car- send me a message if that's what you're looking for

16. :) Magnesium or Aluminum :( ?

17. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Wound up buyin a set of Cragers 15x6 15x10 then was at a friends the other day and he had these layin in the back garage magne. no name ,spindle mount on the spindles 5 spoke american 15x3 1/2

Attached Files:

18. carlos, those spindel mounts RULE!!!!! id love to find a set of them

19. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65
    from Detroit

got these for free, 15 x 4s.

[​IMG]

20. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

its not just wheels. when I look for parts on Feebay lately I more often than not find myself telling the seller to put down the crack pipe!!!!

21. Larry T

Larry T

Who's buying old wheels? No one around here. I had these for sale for over a year before I sold 20+ of them for $20.00 a piece.
    Larry T

Attached Files:

22. How come there are no ford (5 X 4.5)pattern skinny slots or 5 spokes out there, that's my question !

23. outlaw256

outlaw256

larryt after sellin 20+ do ya got any left?

24. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

people complain about paying $ for classic wheels and parts and they need to check the marketplace. i can buy a nice 16x4 on 5.5 ford wheel that is 70 years old for $40 but they want $150 for a piece of crap 2004 chrysler wheel. go figure.

25. Larry T

Larry T

Yea, I wouldn't let 'em have my magnesium, spindlemount, 10" or wider, 4" narrow, or anything for any of my projects. Probably still have 20+ left in the "personal stash".
    Larry T

26. Drewski

Drewski

There are still deals out there to be found, but I find them less frequently these days. I bought a pair of American 200S 15x10's for $100 that the owner had bought new in 1970 to put on his new at the time 1970 Camaro. He ran them for less than a 1,000 miles, decided they were too wide, took them off, stored them in the attic and forgot they were there until he saw my ad for a pair of 200S. He was over a 100 miles from me, but met me half way and even apologized for not getting the tires dismounted. Even though the tires are over 40 years old they still look good, but I'm afraid to run them.

[​IMG]

He was happy to get them out of his way and I was very happy to take them off his hands.

Drew

27. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

You and I need to switch places; I'm always looking for 5x4.75 and 5x5, and keep seeing 5x4.5!